Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Announces U.S. Pricing on 2010 G Sedan and Coupe (huge jump for Manuals)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 01:39 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
But when the IS is the only car in class that can't even seat an average-sized adult (me at 5'10" for example) in the back with reasonable comfort, it's Lexus's problem. I've seen too many cases of people shopping in this segment crossing out the IS ONLY because of the impractical rear legroom. Lexus has got to improve its interior room without increasing exterior dimensions in its next-gen lineup.
Totally agree.

If the BMW 3 and Mercedes C, can have decent sized interiors while being compact on the outside, the IS should be able to also. As I said in an above post the EPA classifies the IS as a subcompact car because it's interior is so small, and NO OTHER CAR IN THE CLASS is classified as such.
Old 12-19-09, 02:24 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

well only audi and bmw have taking a turn towards forced induction. Benz (besides the amg division) does not have any turbos on their sedans, and i dont see them using it any time soon either. I think lexus needs DI across the lineup first.
Old 12-19-09, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It isn't immediately clear why the 6MT models have been targeted for comparatively large increases in price (we're guessing it's a volume thing), but you can get more details on both models in the press release after the jump.
In the meantime, my guess for at least part of the price incease (not all) is that, though the article doesn't expressly say so, they are using the same rev-matching system for the 6MT that the Nissan 370Z now uses. It may turn off some purists, but it eliminates the need for heel-and-toe or double-clutch downshifts and, of course, saves wear on the synchros. The article mentions a rev-match automatic, but not the manual.
Old 12-19-09, 04:58 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the meantime, my guess for at least part of the price incease (not all) is that, though the article doesn't expressly say so, they are using the same rev-matching system for the 6MT that the Nissan 370Z now uses. It may turn off some purists, but it eliminates the need for heel-and-toe or double-clutch downshifts and, of course, saves wear on the synchros. The article mentions a rev-match automatic, but not the manual.
370z has the option to turn off.
Old 12-19-09, 05:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
well only audi and bmw have taking a turn towards forced induction. Benz (besides the amg division) does not have any turbos on their sedans, and i dont see them using it any time soon either. I think lexus needs DI across the lineup first.
for the current generations they do go back to NA for amg cars, but i think they already say that for the next generations they are going with turbo?

Originally Posted by shyguy16
370z has the option to turn off.
any good links to read about this rev-matching for 6mt? sounds funny to me, i don't know how it works. so when i disengage the clutch and shift, the computer will rev it up for me before i engage the clutch?! sounds very weird
Old 12-19-09, 05:52 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl

any good links to read about this rev-matching for 6mt? sounds funny to me, i don't know how it works. so when i disengage the clutch and shift, the computer will rev it up for me before i engage the clutch?! sounds very weird
yup, that's it. it predicts which gear you will be going to and will rev it appropriately.
5 > 3 shift will rev more than a 5 > 4 shift. etc.
Old 12-19-09, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

yup, that's it. it predicts which gear you will be going to and will rev it appropriately.
Nissan also figures, correctly, that it will help save the synchros (a common wear item in manual transmissions), requiring less warranty-work.
Old 12-19-09, 07:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
They might not introduce force induction with the next IS, but they'll have to introduce it some time soon since ALL of the German competition doing so. They really don't have a choice. The S4 that I mentioned in my above post has more power than most of the competition, is faster, AWD, AND it's more efficient than nearly ALL of the competition too. It's highway gas mileage is higher than the ES!

Toyota has a lot of experience with forced induction (via their TRD performance branch), so I'm confident they could do something really special if they put their minds to it. If they can make a supercharged IS that's as quiet and smooth as the NA version with higher efficiency and power they'll have a winner.
Originally Posted by (Cj)
Totally agree.

If the BMW 3 and Mercedes C, can have decent sized interiors while being compact on the outside, the IS should be able to also. As I said in an above post the EPA classifies the IS as a subcompact car because it's interior is so small, and NO OTHER CAR IN THE CLASS is classified as such.
I have said since day one the backseat of the IS is awful. That said, few are looking to buy ANY small car and have backseat room as a priority. Its usually a PLUS but not a deal breaker. Lexus offers not one, not two but THREE vehicles in the same price range and all 3 are like the 3 bears, small, medium, large. That said, yes, it would be great to see the IS backseat get bigger with the car keeping its dimensions. I am tired of cars getting wider, taller, longer EVERY generation.

That and no car is perfect.

With Lexus high compression, I don't see F/I coming soon.

Old 12-19-09, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That said, yes, it would be great to see the IS backseat get bigger with the car keeping its dimensions. I am tired of cars getting wider, taller, longer EVERY generation.
The easiest and most cost-effective way of enlarging interiors while reducing exteriors, of course, is to simply make squarish designs, but the type of buyer who is attracted to the IS is not likely going to be attracted to something that looks like a shoe-box.

(Yes, I myself went from an IS to an Outback, but that was for other reasons......and the 3Gen Outback is not particularly space efficient).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-09 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-20-09, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very interesting. given i do rev match all the time with my 6mt, i wonder if i get into the new z i would over-rev when down shift huh
Old 12-20-09, 12:34 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a Nissan video presentation on this (in Japanese of course) where the test driver pull the downshfit paddle but the gear display indicator stated that it did not downshift yet.

It reved the vehicle from 4,800 rpm to like 5,200 rpm before it downshift from 5 to 4.

Is this what Nissan mentions about their rev-matching concept?
Old 12-21-09, 10:14 PM
LexFather

Maybe he meant sedan vs sedan. Not sure. As I stated it should/better sell more than the IS it is their volume car.

Old 12-21-09, 11:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nothing in life is free.

they added standard backup camera to the journey sedan, at the same time hiking the price 750$.

i don't think that forcing people to buy more crap will create more sales on an already struggling brand.
offer more crap for the same price, and maybe it will sell better.

then again, with that ugly *** sport model altima-like front fascia refresh, this might just end up being the worst selling G sedan.
Old 12-22-09, 08:01 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pics of the newly updated car please.

T
Old 12-22-09, 08:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have said since day one the backseat of the IS is awful. That said, few are looking to buy ANY small car and have backseat room as a priority. Its usually a PLUS but not a deal breaker. Lexus offers not one, not two but THREE vehicles in the same price range and all 3 are like the 3 bears, small, medium, large. That said, yes, it would be great to see the IS backseat get bigger with the car keeping its dimensions. I am tired of cars getting wider, taller, longer EVERY generation.

That and no car is perfect.

With Lexus high compression, I don't see F/I coming soon.
all luxury car makers need to exploit car space more, not just lexus. FWD sedans from Toyota, VW, Ford, etc are much better in space utilization than , A4, 3 Series, C class, G sedan and IS. Same goes for every other "luxury" vehicle.

A lot of it comes from fatter seats and more luxurious driving position compared to less luxurious siblings, but come on, you should be able to carry 4 people in IS and GS...

Quick Reply: Infiniti Announces U.S. Pricing on 2010 G Sedan and Coupe (huge jump for Manuals)