Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Announces U.S. Pricing on 2010 G Sedan and Coupe (huge jump for Manuals)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 09:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its usually a PLUS but not a deal breaker. Lexus offers not one, not two but THREE vehicles in the same price range and all 3 are like the 3 bears, small, medium, large. That said, yes, it would be great to see the IS backseat get bigger with the car keeping its dimensions. I am tired of cars getting wider, taller, longer EVERY generation.
I have to disagree with not being a deal breaker for many. It was a deal breaker for me for the current generation and a deal breaker for a couple friends that want to carry adults in the back. Most of them just decided to go with the 3 series because the backseat at least accomodates short adults. I think if the IS were to at least equal to the 3 series, it would eat away at the TL and G series sales.
Old 12-23-09, 04:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Forced induction on a Lexus would be a shock. I dont see it happening, but in the future manufacturers will turn to new methods of pulling more power out of smaller motors
Old 12-23-09, 05:21 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Forced induction on a Lexus would be a shock. I dont see it happening, but in the future manufacturers will turn to new methods of pulling more power out of smaller motors
Hypothetically, if Lexus were to introduce forced induction, the IS would be the prime candidate, since it's supposed to be a "sporty" Lexus. I would also expect the GS-F to be FI in order for Lexus to achieve the desired level of power and fuel efficiency (ie. 500+hp and no gas tax).

If Audi and BMW can make turbo and supercharged cars that are as quiet and smooth as NA cars then I'm sure Lexus can too. I don't expect FI on the ES, RX, or LS, but for Lexus's sportier models I don't see why not. More power and torque at lower RPMs and higher efficiency are win wins for sport sedan drivers.
Old 12-23-09, 06:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Hypothetically, if Lexus were to introduce forced induction, the IS would be the prime candidate, since it's supposed to be a "sporty" Lexus. I would also expect the GS-F to be FI in order for Lexus to achieve the desired level of power and fuel efficiency (ie. 500+hp and no gas tax).

If Audi and BMW can make turbo and supercharged cars that are as quiet and smooth as NA cars then I'm sure Lexus can too. I don't expect FI on the ES, RX, or LS, but for Lexus's sportier models I don't see why not. More power and torque at lower RPMs and higher efficiency are win wins for sport sedan drivers.
turbos come with cost and complexity... I think question might be if V6 turbo is actually cheaper or more expensive than V8 of similar power but not FI, and it will definetly be less reliable. Check BMW's issues with FI and how next gen will have single turbo instead of two. Thats probably why Lexus is not doing that yet... but as with every technology, advancements are to be made, so who knows about the future? This recent push by Europeans for FI is done by the suppliers, and Toyota can easily purchase technology just as did rest of the companies.

Question here is basically if we would have IS250 with turbos, pulling same numbers as IS350 without turbos, at same price... Japanese know their V6's, GR series has been reliable and powerful and fuel sipping. Not sure if they would be willing to mess with that right now.
Old 12-23-09, 07:33 PM
LexFather

I doubt turbos are coming back with TOyota. Hybrids with power offers the power of a turbo with more efficiency and less emissions. The drawback is weight and more complexity than turbos.

Old 12-23-09, 09:57 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Two
But when the IS is the only car in class that can't even seat an average-sized adult (me at 5'10" for example) in the back...
If 5'10" is average I'm Paul Bunyan!
Old 12-24-09, 05:26 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
turbos come with cost and complexity... I think question might be if V6 turbo is actually cheaper or more expensive than V8 of similar power but not FI, and it will definetly be less reliable. Check BMW's issues with FI and how next gen will have single turbo instead of two. Thats probably why Lexus is not doing that yet... but as with every technology, advancements are to be made, so who knows about the future? This recent push by Europeans for FI is done by the suppliers, and Toyota can easily purchase technology just as did rest of the companies.

Question here is basically if we would have IS250 with turbos, pulling same numbers as IS350 without turbos, at same price... Japanese know their V6's, GR series has been reliable and powerful and fuel sipping. Not sure if they would be willing to mess with that right now.
FI is not new Toyota. As I've said numerous times, Toyota's TRD branch has supercharged almost every engine Toyota's ever made.

They have even supercharged the LX570/Sequoia/Tundra engine and got over 500 hp and 550ftlb from it. TRD has supercharged some of Toyota's most diminutive engines and you could get TRD versions of econo cars such as the Matrix from a dealer. I doubt cost would be a concern, and if Toyota was willing to sell these supercharged cars under warranty I don't think reliability was a concern either.

Selling a supercharged Lexus seems like a logical next step, and I'm sure by now Toyota has improved FI technology that's more refined, reliable, and efficient.
Old 12-24-09, 10:14 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have to disagree with not being a deal breaker for many. It was a deal breaker for me for the current generation and a deal breaker for a couple friends that want to carry adults in the back. Most of them just decided to go with the 3 series because the backseat at least accomodates short adults. I think if the IS were to at least equal to the 3 series, it would eat away at the TL and G series sales.
I'm in total agreement. The size/back seat was a deal breaker for me as well. I like the IS, but didn't even consider it for that reason alone and the ES has no appeal to me. My three finalists were the 3, TL (last gen), and G and came away with a 3.
Old 12-24-09, 10:55 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I doubt turbos are coming back with TOyota. Hybrids with power offers the power of a turbo with more efficiency and less emissions. The drawback is weight and more complexity than turbos.
Toyota have been working on it for some years now, FI will be back, and probably in conjunction with hybrid systems too.
Old 12-25-09, 12:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think your right. Toyota is the hybrid king and they can easily provide more torque, and better fuel efficiency