Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Announces U.S. Pricing on 2010 G Sedan and Coupe (huge jump for Manuals)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Post Infiniti Announces U.S. Pricing on 2010 G Sedan and Coupe (huge jump for Manuals)

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/18/i...an-enthusiast/

Infiniti has turned over its cards and revealed pricing for two of its 2010 G37 models, and there is barely a bump in MSRP for the base models: the sedan's price remains the same at $33,250, while the coupe goes up by $150 to $36,050 – for which you get the revamped outside and upgraded materials and electronics inside.

As usual, traveling higher up the food chain requires more dosh, but it's interesting to see how much of a hit the more enthusiast-oriented models are taking. For the sedan, the Journey trim is upped by $750, the all-wheel drive model by $350, and the Sport 6MT surges by $2,750. The coupe increases by $850 for the Journey, $450 for the AWD, and a whopping $3,400 has been tacked onto the Sport 6MT. It isn't immediately clear why the 6MT models have been targeted for comparatively large increases in price (we're guessing it's a volume thing), but you can get
more details on both models in the press release after the jump.

Originally Posted by press release
PRESS RELEASE

Infiniti Announces U.S. Pricing on 2010 G Sedan and Coupe

12.16.2009 , FRANKLIN, Tenn. - Infiniti today announced pricing on the 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan and G37 Coupe, which are on sale now at Infiniti retailers nationwide. For 2010, the G Sedan, Infiniti's top-selling model, features revised exterior styling, an enhanced interior treatment and upgraded technology features. The 2010 G Coupe also enters 2010 with a number of significant enhancements, including a revised interior and upgraded navigation and entertainment systems.

The 2010 Infiniti G Sedan and Coupe come equipped with an advanced 3.7-liter VVEL (Variable Valve Event & Lift) V6 and choice of 7-speed automatic transmission or a 6-speed manual transmission – as well as with available Infiniti Intelligent All-Wheel Drive system (G37x Sedan AWD, G37x Coupe AWD).

The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP)* for the four available 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan models are:

G37 Sedan $33,250 USD
G37 Sedan Journey $34,450 USD
G37x Sedan AWD $36,050 USD
G37 Sedan Sport 6MT $37,000 USD

The MSRPs for the four available 2010 Infiniti G37 Coupe models are:

G37 Coupe $36,050 USD
G37 Coupe Journey $37,500 USD
G37x Coupe AWD $39,150 USD
G37 Coupe Sport 6MT $40,400 USD

The 2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible, which shares many of the G Sedan and Coupe interior enhancements, will be available in early February 2010.

About the 2010 Infiniti G Sedan
The 2010 G37 Sedan offers a standard 328-horsepower 3.7-liter VVEL (Variable Valve Event & Lift) V6 and 7-speed automatic transmission. And, as is appropriate for a cutting-edge performance sports sedan, the G is also available with a 6-speed manual transmission (G37 Sedan Sport 6MT), as well as with an advanced Infiniti Intelligent All-Wheel Drive system (G37x Sedan AWD).

The G37 Sedan's strikingly seductive exterior is defined by its sleek wave form hood, signature G-style taillights, raked A-pillars and athletic stance. For 2010, the front fascia has been revised with new grille, headlights and bumper. The standard fog lights have been moved from their previous location in the headlight cluster to the lower fascia – where they help provide a sportier, more upscale appearance.

G37 Sport models also receive a new, distinctive front fascia with separated headlights and fog lights. 2010 G37 and G37 Journey models feature a new 17-inch 5-spoke "triple forks" wheel design. In the rear, all models receive a revised rear fascia with an improved exhaust finisher treatment. Two new exterior colors are offered for 2010: Smoky Quartz and Graphite Shadow.

Inside, the G37 Sedan offers a crafted interior environment and luxury features such as standard leather-appointed seating and an available audiophile-quality Infiniti Studio on Wheels? by Bose? premium audio system, which combines Bose?'s 3-way front door speaker array with 10-inch subwoofers and a parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer. A 2GB Music Box is available with the Premium Package.

Enhancements for 2010 include a new, predominately white color scheme for the gauges and LCD instrument display, improving both legibility and cohesiveness of design. There is also a new center console design (7AT models) and new "Shodo" aluminum trim. In addition, a next-generation version of the Infiniti Hard Drive Navigation System now includes features such as XM NavTraffic® with Real-Time Traffic Information and NavWeather™ with Real-Time Weather and 3-day forecast (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming Audio via Bluetooth® and Zagat® Restaurant Guide. Other navigation system features include a 7.0-inch touch screen monitor and 9.3GB Music Box Hard Drive.

Again in 2010, advanced G Sedan technologies include standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition and RearView Monitor (newly standard in most models) and available Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking.

The 2010 G37 Sedan is available in four models – G37 Sedan, G37 Sedan Journey, G37x Sedan AWD and G37S Sedan Sport 6MT. In addition, various enhancements and revisions have been made to the 2010 G37 Sedan's available option packages.

About the 2010 Infiniti G Coupe
The Infiniti G Coupe is designed to stir the soul through an unmatched combination of dynamic design, exhilarating performance and a modern, luxuriously crafted interior. For 2010, the G Coupe receives a number of significant enhancements, including a revised interior and upgraded navigation and entertainment systems.

The G Coupe is again offered in a range of four models: G37 Coupe, G37 Coupe Journey, G37S Coupe Sport 6MT and G37x Coupe AWD – each equipped with a standard 3.7-liter VQ-series V6 with VVEL (for Variable Valve Event and Lift) rated at 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque. Three models are offered with a standard performance-oriented 7-speed automatic transmission with Drive Sport (DS) Mode, Downshift Rev Matching and available solid magnesium paddle shifters. The G37 Coupe Sport 6MT comes with a responsive, close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission.

For buyers who want an even higher level of sporty performance, the Sport 6MT model and Journey model with Sport Package offer a sport-tuned suspension, 14.7:1 sport-tuned steering gear, Viscous Limited-Slip Differential, large Sport Brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers and 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with summer performance tires.

Interior enhancements for 2010 include a new, predominately white color scheme for the gauges and LCD instrument display, improving both legibility and cohesiveness of design. There is also a new center console design (7AT models) and the previous "Washi" aluminum trim has been replaced by "Shodo" aluminum trim inspired by the traditional art of Japanese calligraphy. A new interior trim is now available with high-gloss Maple Accents, along with the next-generation Infiniti Hard Drive Navigation System.

About Infiniti
Infiniti offers a full-line of luxury performance automobiles that inspire at every turn, including the G Coupe, Sedan and first-ever Convertible, M sedan, EX and FX crossovers, and the QX full-size SUV. More information about Infiniti and its Total Ownership Experience® can be found at www.InfinitiUSA.com.

* MSRP excludes applicable tax, title, license and Destination & Handling fees. Dealer sets actual price. Prices and specs are subject to change without notice.

Old 12-18-09, 02:54 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess for the MT's huge jump is more standard equipment being bundled due to low volume.
Old 12-18-09, 04:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
My guess for the MT's huge jump is more standard equipment being bundled due to low volume.
that's my guess too. but then at the same time cost wise auto is usually a bit more expensive than mt
Old 12-18-09, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They have done a great job jazzing it up. relative to my early first generation G35 this new G37 sedan is a dream. I wonder when the new IS is coming
Old 12-18-09, 06:31 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yes, probably more standard features. Kind of like lexus with the ES and LS this year
Old 12-18-09, 10:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They have done a great job jazzing it up. relative to my early first generation G35 this new G37 sedan is a dream. I wonder when the new IS is coming
Yoe mean redesigned IS? i would say another year or two.. the 2010 are already out so this makes 5 years for the same body style.. but wait.. the GS had 8 years with the same body style..
Old 12-18-09, 10:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am eager to see how toyota will respond to a very solid product like the G35. I think a 335 hp 3.7 liter thats gets better mpg than Infiniti would be the perfect response
Old 12-19-09, 05:48 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am eager to see how toyota will respond to a very solid product like the G35. I think a 335 hp 3.7 liter thats gets better mpg than Infiniti would be the perfect response
Meh.

Lexus doesn't need to up the displacement to compete with Infiniti. Infiniti's are all horsepower and no torque (hence why the IS350 has more torque than the G37). IMO Lexus should supercharge the 3GR-FSE engine like they did with the Toyota Mark X, and put that in the next gen IS "350".

Forced induction is the future. The 3 series is twin turbo and the S4 is supercharged, and if Lexus wants to compete with the big boys they should supercharge their more performance oriented vehicles.

The S4's supercharged 3.0L engine gets 329hp and 325ftlbs (@2900rpm), and is faster than the 335i and that's with AWD. Also the S4 is more fuel efficient than the current IS350 and that's with AWD. It's just amazing.

Imagine if the next IS had a similar engine with RWD. That would simply smoke the G37 and the 3 series all while being much more fuel efficient. Now that would be the IS's perfect response.

Last edited by (Cj); 12-19-09 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 06:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I think if they made the IS a little bigger to accomodate adults in the back, it may sell better. I have friends that use the G and 3 series as family cars but none ever considered getting an IS due to size constraints in the back. I think the G35 coupe has more rear legroom than the IS. I'd prefer a little more rear space over a generous trunk.
Old 12-19-09, 07:31 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think if they made the IS a little bigger to accomodate adults in the back, it may sell better. I have friends that use the G and 3 series as family cars but none ever considered getting an IS due to size constraints in the back. I think the G35 coupe has more rear legroom than the IS. I'd prefer a little more rear space over a generous trunk.
+1

According to the EPA the IS is subcompact because it's interior is so small. I think that the IS is the only vehicle in it's class that's a "subcompact", and Lexus really needs to improve on that because that's quite pathetic. Even the 3 series's interior is significantly bigger (a whole class bigger).

But even with the IS's space limitations it still handily outsells the more powerful more spacious G.
Old 12-19-09, 09:02 AM
LexFather

The IS doesn't need to get bigger. How about the big G37 needs to get smaller? Not EVERYONE wants a big car. The IS/3/C sell to people that want a smaller, more nimble feeling, comfier vehicle. Space is not a big concern. (I do agree the IS backseat needs help).

The IS is the traditional Euro size for this class with the 3/C class/previous A4. The G35/37, CTS, ES, TL have always been "tweeners" offering more size as a selling point over the smaller Euro traditional size cars. The G37 size is a great selling point, near GS size for the IS price.

I don't understand the infatuation over HP figures and a bigger engine. The Lexus 3.5 is just as fast/faster with better or the same MPG. If anything its good to see Infiniti catch up with their new engine and 7 speed auto.

The IS sells fine it meets its sales goals, its not the volume selling car. The ES is Lexus volume seller. The G37 is Infiniti's volume seller and without it they would be dead accounting for over 60% of sales.

Its clear this recent move is to make more money of the small amount of manuals sold. I am not sure of the figure but clearly the auto out sells the manual.

With their new 7 speed which has been called fantastic, it might convince more people to get it and skip the manual. The lower price helps as well. Infiniti is really struggling and if they eventually drop manuals b/c of slow sales, (not sure how well the NIssan skyline sells in Japan) they lose a significant selling point.

Old 12-19-09, 11:24 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont see lexus using forced induction any time soon. Most likely, it will stay as a naturally aspirated 3.5, probably with just a little bit more horsepower, 5 or 10. the IS250 is the one that needs help.
Old 12-19-09, 01:07 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont see lexus using forced induction any time soon. Most likely, it will stay as a naturally aspirated 3.5, probably with just a little bit more horsepower, 5 or 10. the IS250 is the one that needs help.
Yeah why can't they give the 4GR-FSE the same D-4S treatment as they did in the award-winning 2GR-FSE? The engine should NOT be the place to cut corners in even if they want to be cheap.
Old 12-19-09, 01:18 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The IS doesn't need to get bigger. How about the big G37 needs to get smaller? Not EVERYONE wants a big car. The IS/3/C sell to people that want a smaller, more nimble feeling, comfier vehicle. Space is not a big concern. (I do agree the IS backseat needs help).

The IS is the traditional Euro size for this class with the 3/C class/previous A4. The G35/37, CTS, ES, TL have always been "tweeners" offering more size as a selling point over the smaller Euro traditional size cars. The G37 size is a great selling point, near GS size for the IS price.
But when the IS is the only car in class that can't even seat an average-sized adult (me at 5'10" for example) in the back with reasonable comfort, it's Lexus's problem. I've seen too many cases of people shopping in this segment crossing out the IS ONLY because of the impractical rear legroom. Lexus has got to improve its interior room without increasing exterior dimensions in its next-gen lineup.
Old 12-19-09, 01:35 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
They might not introduce force induction with the next IS, but they'll have to introduce it some time soon since ALL of the German competition doing so. They really don't have a choice. The S4 that I mentioned in my above post has more power than most of the competition, is faster, AWD, AND it's more efficient than nearly ALL of the competition too. It's highway gas mileage is higher than the ES!

Toyota has a lot of experience with forced induction (via their TRD performance branch), so I'm confident they could do something really special if they put their minds to it. If they can make a supercharged IS that's as quiet and smooth as the NA version with higher efficiency and power they'll have a winner.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Announces U.S. Pricing on 2010 G Sedan and Coupe (huge jump for Manuals)