Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Detroit North American International Auto Show.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default 2010 Detroit North American International Auto Show.

Just thought I'd post some advance info on the Detroit Show next month, for those of you planning to go. I usually wait and go to the local D.C. show later in January, which, recently, has become almost as big as Detroit's.
Several all-electric cars, BTW, are scheduled for a Detroit introduction next month.

http://www.naias.com/the-2010-show/overview.aspx

http://autos.aol.com/detroit-auto-show

http://www.insideline.com/auto-shows/detroit/
Old 12-19-09, 04:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

makes perfect sense to go to a FROZEN CITY that's probably got higher unemployment and violence than baghdad. i somehow doubt attendance will be very good!
Old 12-19-09, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
makes perfect sense to go to a FROZEN CITY that's probably got higher unemployment and violence than baghdad. i somehow doubt attendance will be very good!
I agree that Detroit, as a city, has not only seen better days, but is no longer the center of the auto industry as it once was....some manufacturers have relocated their HQ to SoCal. However, the Detroit and L.A. shows are still the two largest ones for new-model introductions, though our own local D.C. show has grown rapidly in importance in the last few years. Although the D.C area sells some 6 times as many new cars today as Detroit, and SoCal 10 times as many, the single largest auto show, like it or not, still remains in Detroit.

Are the show planners living in the past? Yes, probably......I've posted and discussed much on that issue before, so won't rehash it here.

And, as far as a "frozen" city goes, we are having blizzard conditions, with temperatures in the low 20's, right here in DC as I write this. A major winter storm has impacted most of the East Coast.
Old 12-19-09, 08:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The Chicago Auto Show at McCormick Place in Feb draws huge numbers of people, but not many new model previews lately.

Not much else to do on the frozen tundra during a cold week in Feb, hence the big turn out.
Old 12-20-09, 09:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The big players lately have been LA and Detroit. It was sad to see how scaled back the Big 3 displays were in Detroit this year. 2 years ago when I was invited to the IS F and LFA v.2 unveiling, the Big 3 had amazing displays. This year, no fancy stages or fanfare. Chrysler was literally in the dark with no stage and just a carpet display. The same with GM but Ford did it just a tad better with the Mustang and Taurus displays.

I will be back in the Detroit this year chasing the LFA across the country once again.
Old 12-20-09, 05:50 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Detroit Show is traditionally where all professional auto journalists go from all over the world