Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

George Barris... a pimps coach builder

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 05:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default George Barris... a pimps coach builder

We're beginning to think that George Barris' movie cars were more restrained than his customer cars -- and that Dolemite had the man on speed dial. Barris built the car you see above: a Bugazzi (boo-GOT-zee), which started out as a 1972 Lincoln Mark IV and was turned into "an American version of a Rolls-Royce."

That means it's been slathered in thirty coats of pearl lacquer and trimmed with 24-carat gold-leaf, hand-applied pinstripes. Up front are two lanterns where the headlights would normally go. Inside, you'll find gold, suede upholstery, Persian rugs, Italian doorhandles mounted on Italian marble slabs, a television, and a back seat wet bar. That could explain why the car cost $10,000 more than a Rolls. Or not.

There were but 12 built, and not only were they bought by celebrities and the owner of the Mustang Ranch, but Motor Trend named it Car of the Month in July, 1973. We don't know what number this car is, nor do we know how many have survived, but we do know you can take it home from Daniel Schmitt & Company for $99,000. Back in October, this car passed under the gavel at an RM Auction in October for a mere $19,800. We know that Barris had set out to make an American Rolls-Royce here, and we understand Schmitt & Co are looking to turn a profit here. But $99K? Guys -- it's not a real Rolls.
Attached Thumbnails George Barris... a pimps coach builder-bugazzi.jpg   George Barris... a pimps coach builder-05_bugazzi.jpg   George Barris... a pimps coach builder-15_bugazzi.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-20-09 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 08:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

superdooperfly
Attached Thumbnails George Barris... a pimps coach builder-6a00e54f195bd8883401053638aed5970c-800wi.jpg   George Barris... a pimps coach builder-curtismayfield-super-fly-11.jpg   George Barris... a pimps coach builder-superfly.jpg  
Old 12-20-09, 09:02 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, I dunno about this one.
Old 12-20-09, 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think these cars are comical and scream black exploitation film. All I see is images of pimps , superfly, and Goldie from the MAC
Attached Thumbnails George Barris... a pimps coach builder-mack_poster_02.jpg   George Barris... a pimps coach builder-themack.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-20-09 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 06:58 AM
Milla...

The car scares me...
Old 12-21-09, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Barris was a big name in customizing back in the 60s when I grew up. I used to build kit-models of some of his cars when I was a kid.
Old 12-21-09, 10:48 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Barris was a big name in customizing back in the 60s when I grew up. I used to build kit-models of some of his cars when I was a kid.
Is that like his signature or his trademark, the pips that goes through the lower fenders, I've seen these? I've seen some late 80's cars (Chrysler/Thunderbird/Caddilac) done this way (exterior) are these just knock off kits of his style, or did they actually make more later.
Old 12-21-09, 01:27 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Barris did a lot of movie and TV cars, following a long career as a builder of custom hot rods and even a few concept cars for Detroit. He was the prototype Custom Car builder.

He's probably best remembered for his TV cars, including the original Batmobile, Kitt, General Lee, Munster-Koache (and Dragula), the Beverly Hillbillies truck, the Monkee-mobile, and even laying some claim to Fred Flintstone's ride. Barris was all about outrageous vehicles, but some of his cars showed his hand as a genuine hot-rodder, producing some really beautiful macnines as well as four-wheeled cartoons. http://www.barris.com/
Old 12-21-09, 01:54 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
Is that like his signature or his trademark, the pips that goes through the lower fenders, I've seen these? I've seen some late 80's cars (Chrysler/Thunderbird/Caddilac) done this way (exterior) are these just knock off kits of his style, or did they actually make more later.
Many of these were tributes, or at least references to the big Deusenbergs of the 20's and 30's.

1933 Deusenberg, courtesy Automotive History Online

He also fostered the popular "Lakes Pipes" one of the signatures of '50's hot rods. These were grafted onto the down tube from each manifold and run below the rocker panel down each side. They were capped with a plug, which when removed gave you an open exhaust, much loved by 50's hot rodders and police everywhere.

Barris' "Banacek" AMX 4000 - from the TV Series
Old 12-21-09, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Couldn't tell you on the 80's ones; The model kits I was talking about date back to the 60's. Barris T-Birds, though, were popular even then....and I think I can remember some Corvettes too.

Lil4X is correct, though, that the basic idea for the pipes came from the Cords and Dusenbergs of the 1930s.
Old 12-22-09, 06:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I looked him up on wikipedia and he has definetly done a good number of vehicles
Old 12-22-09, 07:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I remember seeing these cars back in the day that were called Excalibur Zoom that had pipes coming out of the hood. They always seemed like the cars from old cartoons. I did a search on the car but found nothing. Anyone remember the cars I am talking about