Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 11:54 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
True.
She isn't a 'car' person.Although she likes the RX,she would somehow rather have a RAV4.
Go figure!
I guess I'll have to see what the new design '12 RAV4 looks like.
I would probably take the Rav4 over the RX. I recently had to live with the Rav4 for two months and I got a 4cylinder model, the SUV was so easy to live with and use day in and day out. I had a bare bones model. I also didn't mind the rear swinging door, it kind of grew on me after a while. As for performance, the new 4 banger did have some pretty good acceleration, the controls were easy to use and the Rav4 was roomy.
Old 12-28-09, 12:02 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wish my wife didn't care so much for interior quality. The RAV4 has one soft spot in the whole interior, the front center armrest. The rest of the dash, door trim, etc. was hard and cheap feeling "power rangers" plastic trimming. The 3rd row is a joke, not even something my 4-year old daughter could fit in.

For the OP, if RX is still an option, I'd take the new RX350 over the ML or MDX any day. If you need the optional 3rd row, then I'd take the MDX, best value package for the money.
Old 12-28-09, 12:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I would probably take the Rav4 over the RX. I recently had to live with the Rav4 for two months and I got a 4cylinder model, the SUV was so easy to live with and use day in and day out. I had a bare bones model. I also didn't mind the rear swinging door, it kind of grew on me after a while. As for performance, the new 4 banger did have some pretty good acceleration, the controls were easy to use and the Rav4 was roomy.
My gripes with the wife's '06 RAV4 Sport were things the wife didn't mind.Things like the 4 cyl was underpowered for me,stock radio was terrible,the Sport had a rear shock issue that killed rear shocks quickly.I didn't mind the rear side swing opening door but I hated the spare on the door.The new RAV has a runflat option that eliminates the door spare but I hate runflats.
That RAV did have plenty of room inside,though.
The '06 Japan built RAV was a solid no rattle build,though.Would go V6,JBL and Limited model if there's a next time.
I've read the RAV4 is built in Canada now.I'd rather have a Japan built model.I will say the RX was built in Canada and has been great.
Old 12-28-09, 01:10 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The '06 Japan built RAV was a solid no rattle build,though.Would go V6,JBL and Limited model if there's a next time.
I've read the RAV4 is built in Canada now.I'd rather have a Japan built model..
I wouldn't worry too much if the Rav4 or RX are built in North America. The whole Japan built thing is a little more myth than it is reality these days. I have experience with North American Tundra, Avalon and Japan built 4runner and LS430.....by far the least problems I have ever had was with the Tundra. The 4runner has an electrical issue with the heated seats not working as well as rims that have the finsih that has chipped and bubbled......the Avalon had a minor piece of weather stripping come loose as well as a plastic break on the the windshield washer tank. The Lexus LS430 had a problem with the ignition as well as a power seat failure....The only problem to date with the Tundra was a heated mirror switched that the light burned out (although switch still works at heats the mirrors) and a caliper issue that was my fault due to maintenance neglect on my own end.

The Tundra has twice as many miles as the 4runner, four times as many as the Avalon and three times as many as the LS430...they are all still going strong but I have the least worries and returns to the dealer with the Tundra

I will say the RX was built in Canada and has been great
I have been next to an RX built in Japan as well as an RX built in Canada...there is no difference in build quality.
Old 12-28-09, 05:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am still looking into the highlander but feel that the Acura is still a bit nicer in terms of overall interior quality and handling . The loaner car thing is also a huge plus for the Acura. I am giving them the silent treatment. The salesman keeps calling me. I want him real desperate when I call him on the 29th - 30th.
Old 12-28-09, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am still looking into the highlander but feel that the Acura is still a bit nicer in terms of overall interior quality and handling .
That's to be expected, at least to some extent. The Highlander, except maybe for the top-level Hybrid and Limited versions, competes more with the Honda Pilot than the Acura MDX. The MDX competes more with the Lexus RX (which, IMO, has an even nicer interior, though it can't match the MDX's handling).

The loaner car thing is also a huge plus for the Acura. I am giving them the silent treatment. The salesman keeps calling me. I want him real desperate when I call him on the 29th - 30th.
Don't keep him waiting too long. If you want a specific vehicle sitting on the lot, you never know if someone else will ****** it up first. (No, it's not likely, but possible)
Old 12-28-09, 09:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Good choice. I was going to recommend the MDX. It is an excellent SUV and pretty much the best in class, it mostly gets very good reviews. Other then the MDX I would only really recommend the RX or maybe Toyota Highlander if reliability was a concern. It would be hard to recommend the German SUVs as they are generally so problematic and cost so much more once optioned similarly. My cousin had an ML and had to get rid of it after 2 years because it had so many costly issues. Everyone I have talked to that has owned X5 have had a bunch of issues but those are mainly older X5. I remember reading a while ago a BMW higher up actually admit the MDX was better then the X5 in a interview and said it was one of their biggest threats and they were using the MDX as one of the main models to try to beat for the redesign.

As for the interior and buttons I am not bothered at all by a bunch of buttons. I would prefer buttons over some annoying i drive **** and menu any day. It does not take long at all to get familiar with the buttons and they will become like second nature and much quicker and intuitive then surfing through menus to change stations or adjust things. Vehicles that have few buttons like the 3 and 5 series, the interiors just appear cost cut and look like more like bare bones models without any options or features.

The 07 MDX placed first in this comparison between more expensive SUVs like the GX470, Toureg, ML350, X5, Land Rover LR3, most of which had V8s.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 12-28-09, 10:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I actually called the salesman tonight to have them get together a decent offer. In the end when I objectively compare all of the SUVs in this class the MDX is really my favorite. I test drove the Highlander hybrid limited, RX350,ML350,and the MDX. After my experience with the drives and looking at feature, options, and pricing I really have to say that the 2010 Acura MDX is the best in its class . It handles better than all of the SUVs I test drove, had more power,had a nicer interior, better pricing, and comes with a loaner for any service. I think the highlander looks better and gets better mpg, but the Acura has a far nicer interior imo and has available loaners. The Mercedes didn't inspire much confidence when I looked up reliability. Like anything else its going to get better but it is not the least problematic SUV. The RX is a beauty but has no third row seating, has softer more dull styling, and doesn't handle nearly as well as the MDX. In the end we have many really nice choices in this class and nobody would be a loser with any of these models, but for me the MDX looks like a winner

We are ordering a dark cherry pearl with taupe interior, tech and advance package, and a set of running boards to jazz it up. It will look like the one in the picture plus the running boards
Attached Thumbnails Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-acura-mdx-0.jpg   Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-acura-mdx-rear.jpg   Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-acura-mdx-interior-dash.jpg   Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010_acura_mdx_interior_cd_gallery.jpg   Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-acura-mdx-23_cd_gallery.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-28-09 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 03:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You're going to love the MDX. I am personally one of these stubborn people who still hate all SUV's, and the MDX is the only SUV that I "could" consider. In my opinion it offers the best of both worlds - great handling and ride of sporty car based cross overs, with the space, utility and offroading capability of large truck based SUV's, and at the same time it's price point is an amazing value.
Old 12-29-09, 05:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am giving them the silent treatment. The salesman keeps calling me. I want him real desperate when I call him on the 29th - 30th.
I would think all the Acura salesman are desperate any day of the month now
Old 12-29-09, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We are ordering a dark cherry pearl with taupe interior, tech and advance package, and a set of running boards to jazz it up. It will look like the one in the picture plus the running boards
Good. That settles the problem of not having to be pressured into buying one in stock, right off the lot before it is gone. It also insures that you will get a freshly-built vehicle that hasn't been sitting around.

I don't think that the MDX is built in the U.S. though (you can correct me if I'm wrong). To order one from a Japanese plant might take some time.

BTW, I agree with you that the dark cherry/taupe is one of the better MDX color combinations. You will also find that Acura has well-above-average-quality paint jobs.

When you get your new MDX, I highly recommend this to take out surface paint scratches/discolorations and keep the paint looking new (you may pick some in parking lots from careless people), although, of course, it won't take out dents. It only costs a couple of bucks, and does an excellent job, as long as the scratches and discolorations aren't too deep.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-09 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 09:45 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think that the MDX is built in the U.S. though (you can correct me if I'm wrong). To order one from a Japanese plant might take some time.]
The MDX is made in Canada.
Old 12-29-09, 10:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You will also find that Acura has well-above-average-quality paint jobs.
I find the Acura's paint job well below average for a car that is almost $50000. Almost all top teir cars such as Lexus, BMW, MB and Audi have better paint job than they do, and dont get me started on Acura's paper thin sheet metal
Old 12-29-09, 11:35 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would think all the Acura salesman are desperate any day of the month now
Originally Posted by The G Man
I find the Acura's paint job well below average for a car that is almost $50000. Almost all top teir cars such as Lexus, BMW, MB and Audi have better paint job than they do, and dont get me started on Acura's paper thin sheet metal
He has basically made up his mind and is satisfied and excited about his decision. You don't need to keep taking jabs at the MDX or Acura anymore to sour his mood.

I doubt he cares about the paint being slightly better on much more unreliable and problematic German brands as reliability is more of a concern. Most of the paint jobs I see on BMWs are awful with tons of orange peel, that is a major complaint on many BMW boards. The Acura RLs paintjob is excellent and is hand sanded from the factory, every Acura I have detailed has a nice paint job but the clearcoat is soft like most Toyota/Lexus clearcoats and more prone to swirls then the harder clearcoats from Mercedes and Audi.

I doubt he cares about simulated vs real wood in the grand scheme of things either, most shiny real wood trim looks plastic anyways and in most cases it is just a super thin sliver of real wood glued on a piece of plastic. I have sat in the MDX and several Acuras and have never noticed anything remotely approaching paper thin sheet metal nor have I ever read a review where that was noted.

I really don't see how you could say the interior of the MDX feels cheap or leather is not good as the new MDX has a very nice high quality interior and the leather is of high quality, Milano premium leather is offered in the new MDX. I am picky about interiors and sat in and compared the new MDX interior to the X5, GL, ML, A7, SRX, and older RX at an auto show and the MDX quality and design was much better then the X5, GL, ML, SRX and in my opinion a little nicer then the RX although I have not sat in the current new RX yet. For how everyone always gives Audi's high marks on their interiors I was not very impressed with the Q7, the design was a bit plain but still nice, buttons felt hollow, hard, and cheap and made a loud cheap click when you pressed them, and the plastics were not as nice as I was expecting. Shutting the doors did not give the solid thunk I was expecting either.

The MDX is a very solid vehicle and is usually reviewed very well and has taken a first place finish among more expensive competition with V8s as well as has received numerous awards and high sales. You don't get that with a shotty quality vehicle. I am sure 18AMBR is going to be very happy with his decision.
Old 12-29-09, 11:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
You're going to love the MDX. I am personally one of these stubborn people who still hate all SUV's, and the MDX is the only SUV that I "could" consider. In my opinion it offers the best of both worlds - great handling and ride of sporty car based cross overs, with the space, utility and offroading capability of large truck based SUV's, and at the same time it's price point is an amazing value.
I don't care for SUVs either but if I had to have one and wanted something nicer and did not need something for hauling a big boat or serious offroading the MDX would be my top choice by far and I am sure I would love it. It is a jack of all trades SUV without penalizing you with the poor SUV handling, body roll, horrible fuel economy, and it handles as well or better then many sporty sedans. All of that for a great price. I don't really mind the styling or grill as I just don't find SUVs to be great looking vehicles, the X5 and original RX300 were pretty much the nicest looking to me.

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K