Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 11:59 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
He has basically made up his mind and is satisfied and excited about his decision. You don't need to keep taking jabs at the MDX or Acura anymore to sour his mood.

I doubt he cares about the paint being slightly better on much more unreliable and problematic German brands as reliability is more of a concern. Most of the paint jobs I see on BMWs are awful with tons of orange peel, that is a major complaint on many BMW boards. The Acura RLs paintjob is excellent and is hand sanded from the factory, every Acura I have detailed has a nice paint job but the clearcoat is soft like most Toyota/Lexus clearcoats and more prone to swirls then the harder clearcoats from Mercedes and Audi.

I doubt he cares about simulated vs real wood in the grand scheme of things either, most shiny real wood trim looks plastic anyways and in most cases it is just a super thin sliver of real wood glued on a piece of plastic. I have sat in the MDX and several Acuras and have never noticed anything remotely approaching paper thin sheet metal nor have I ever read a review where that was noted.

I really don't see how you could say the interior of the MDX feels cheap or leather is not good as the new MDX has a very nice high quality interior and the leather is of high quality, Milano premium leather is offered in the new MDX. I am picky about interiors and sat in and compared the new MDX interior to the X5, GL, ML, A7, SRX, and older RX at an auto show and the MDX quality and design was much better then the X5, GL, ML, SRX and in my opinion a little nicer then the RX although I have not sat in the current new RX yet. For how everyone always gives Audi's high marks on their interiors I was not very impressed with the Q7, the design was a bit plain but still nice, buttons felt hollow, hard, and cheap and made a loud cheap click when you pressed them, and the plastics were not as nice as I was expecting. Shutting the doors did not give the solid thunk I was expecting either.

The MDX is a very solid vehicle and is usually reviewed very well and has taken a first place finish among more expensive competition with V8s as well as has received numerous awards and high sales. You don't get that with a shotty quality vehicle. I am sure 18AMBR is going to be very happy with his decision.

I concur only thing left to be added to this thread is the announing of his purchase, anything eles is completely pointless and redundant.
Old 12-29-09, 12:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

well this is an thread when someone asked for an opinion, and now he is getting it... nobody is forcing anything to anyone, and I am sure OP understands that.
Old 12-29-09, 12:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

p.s. at the end, one that signs the check decides... or maybe his better side does ;-). Most important part of any car buying decision is going out and trying every car you like and then deciding for the car that you like the best.
Old 12-29-09, 12:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

He has basically made up his mind and is satisfied and excited about his decision. You don't need to keep taking jabs at the MDX or Acura anymore to sour his mood.
I am not taking jabs at all, I am simply sharing my experience with owning a MDX for 3 years.
Old 12-29-09, 12:25 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This just in... I8ABMR just consulted with Russ (RDawg) & the deal is off.
Old 12-29-09, 12:40 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This just in... I8ABMR just consulted with Russ (RDawg) & the deal is off.

Very interesting!
I8ABMR was really into that MDX.I wonder what happened.
Old 12-29-09, 12:47 PM
Milla...

^^ I doubt its the MDX its probably the dealer. I can imagine, the salesman's manager probably changed the deal. Or it turns out that the MDX they wanted wont be availiable for quite sometime and so they are now trying to talk him into a 2008-09 model yr or something, you know the typical dealer crap.
Old 12-29-09, 12:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
^^ I doubt its the MDX its probably the dealer. I can imagine, the salesman's manager probably changed the deal. Or it turns out that the MDX they wanted wont be availiable for quite sometime and so they are now trying to talk him into a 2008-09 model yr or something, you know the typical dealer crap.
Yeah,dealers can be douche bags.
Old 12-29-09, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I find the Acura's paint job well below average for a car that is almost $50000. Almost all top teir cars such as Lexus, BMW, MB and Audi have better paint job than they do,
Your opinion noted, but most of the Acuras I've seen have had excellent paint jobs....high gloss, little or no orange peel, smooth surface.

What do you find objectionable about the ones you've seen?

I do agree with you, though, that Lexus and Audi both have superb paint jobs as well (Lexus is arguably the best). Mercedes paint seems to vary a little more from vehicle to vehicle...some superb, some not quite. BMW.....I generally disagree. With the exception of the new 550 Grand Touring model, BMW paint doesn't impress me......I've seen econoboxes do better. And the Germans (and, recently, some others as well) have the nasty habit of charging extra for metallics/pearls.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-09 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 09:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your opinion noted, but most of the Acuras I've seen have had excellent paint jobs....high gloss, little or no orange peel, smooth surface.

I do agree with you, though, that Lexus and Audi both have superb paint jobs as well (Lexus is arguably the best). Mercedes paint seems to vary a little more from vehicle to vehicle...some superb, some not quite. BMW.....I generally disagree. With the exception of the new 550 Grand Touring model, BMW paint doesn't impress me......I've seen econoboxes do better. And the Germans (and, recently, some others as well) have the nasty habit of charging extra for metallics/pearls.
The paint is high quality. I just think we have to many lexus biased people.

Lexus is a great car, but not the only great japanese brand. When I get one I will work the zaino magic and blow people away like I did with the Lexus.
Old 12-29-09, 09:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt he cares about the paint being slightly better on much more unreliable and problematic German brands as reliability is more of a concern. Most of the paint jobs I see on BMWs are awful with tons of orange peel, that is a major complaint on many BMW boards. The Acura RLs paintjob is excellent and is hand sanded from the factory, every Acura I have detailed has a nice paint job but the clearcoat is soft like most Toyota/Lexus clearcoats and more prone to swirls then the harder clearcoats from Mercedes and Audi.

I doubt he cares about simulated vs real wood in the grand scheme of things either, most shiny real wood trim looks plastic anyways and in most cases it is just a super thin sliver of real wood glued on a piece of plastic. I have sat in the MDX and several Acuras and have never noticed anything remotely approaching paper thin sheet metal nor have I ever read a review where that was noted.

I really don't see how you could say the interior of the MDX feels cheap or leather is not good as the new MDX has a very nice high quality interior and the leather is of high quality, Milano premium leather is offered in the new MDX. I am picky about interiors and sat in and compared the new MDX interior to the X5, GL, ML, A7, SRX, and older RX at an auto show and the MDX quality and design was much better then the X5, GL, ML, SRX and in my opinion a little nicer then the RX although I have not sat in the current new RX yet. For how everyone always gives Audi's high marks on their interiors I was not very impressed with the Q7, the design was a bit plain but still nice, buttons felt hollow, hard, and cheap and made a loud cheap click when you pressed them, and the plastics were not as nice as I was expecting. Shutting the doors did not give the solid thunk I was expecting either.

The MDX is a very solid vehicle and is usually reviewed very well and has taken a first place finish among more expensive competition with V8s as well as has received numerous awards and high sales. You don't get that with a shotty quality vehicle. I am sure 18AMBR is going to be very happy with his decision.
I couldnt have said it any better.
Old 12-29-09, 10:52 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is the MDX really a bargain? I would not call a $45000 SUV with plastic wood trim and low garde built material a bargain.
I would call it a bargain. We purchased an '09 Base w/ no miles on it back in May of '09 and paid $34,900 out the door. We love our MDX. Just got back from Chicago for the holidays and they had over 7 inches of snow and I was driving around in it all weekend and is, by far, the best handling AWD SUV we have owned to date!
Old 12-29-09, 11:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

my wife loved the handling. I have to say the turning radius blew my mind. It will prevent the embarrassing Y turns. I sent a text to the salesman this evening that he lost the sale. On two occasions they told me they were going to call me right back and never did. I am going to get the MDX from the dealership in Scottsdale. I dont have time to be looking for them and I hate people who are to unorganized and/or unprofessional . No sale for Acura of Peoria.
Old 12-30-09, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

paint has a lot more than just first appearance, and i can tell you for sure that acura paint is far from good. i am a detailer so i can give more details

paint on cars you see at dealerships a lot of times aren't really "true" finish. this is because a lot of times dealerships have their guys put on quick greasy polish / fillers to make them look good. but take the car home and really wash it and that's when you show the real finish from manufacturer.

i can tell you that acura paint is famous for being extremely soft and extremely thin. and that's very bad idea. i agree acura get the surface pretty smooth on flat areas, mostly due to their thin paint, but often times i notice more orange peel toward the bottom of vertical panels. bottom line is the THIN soft paint makes acura finish pretty weak (you can see how a lot of acura owners complain about it)

germans tend to have more orange peel, but they also have some of the harder paints out there as well, which is a good thing for detailers. lexus have thicker paint, smooth, but problem is they are on the soft side.

sorry for OT, but i definitely want to give the input there. some people here know a lot about paint and don't just say anything biased against lexus
Old 12-30-09, 03:20 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/revi...-benz-g550/#17

that's really bad, right?

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K