Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09 | 07:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Agree, on all accounts. MDX is a good people mover with decent technology and it does have the luxury badge on the front that you are looking for. However, I don't think it is the best 'ute for the money.

If it meets your criteria and you're happy with it, then go for it
That is exactly what I thought when I test drove it, it’s a people and cargo mover. I am not sure why Acura design a performance suspension and AWD system around a 7 seater. It’s way too big to be maneuverable, especially in traffic. I can see the RDX having all that tech because its suppose to be a fun SUV, but the MDX simply do not inspire spirited driving.
The original MDX when it came out in 01 or 02 certainly drew more attention. The original MDX had a waiting list and sold at MSRP for almost 3 years. The last time I check, the 08 MD is selling at about half the rate as the original. It still amazing me how Acura can take a perfectly good selling vehicle like the TL, MDX or the RL and redesign them for failure.
Old 12-31-09 | 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Without going back through every post, ever consider an X5 with 3rd-row seating? Your price would probably jump to $70K but I STILL think it runs better than a Cayenne with more size and NO Cayenne has seating over 5... AND IMO out-handles ANY Cayenne short of the Turgo (The GTS can be HARSH on broken roads, X5 eats 'em up)

But as stated previously, the MDX meets your criteria 100%!!!!
Not everyone has the kind of budget you do, Russ. 70K is a long way from the typical 40K or so an MDA runs.
Old 12-31-09 | 07:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
I detail cars too and have never seen or heard of any issues with Acura paint being any thinner or weaker then what is on most other cars or it becoming a durability issue. Yes, the paint or clearcoat is soft like Lexus paint and swirls and scratches easier then harder clearcoats from Audi/Mercedes but it is also much easier to correct any defects on softer clearcoat.

Most of the higher end Audi and some Mercedes finishes I have seen are very impressive with little to no orange peel and are more swirl and scratch resistant from a hard ceramic clearcoat. Other cars with very nice finishes I have seen are the Acura RL and LS460 which are also hand sanded from the factory. The German brand that sticks out where I have noticed bad finishes and tons of orange peel is BMW, some of which is the worst I have ever seen.

My parents had a black 99TL they bought brand new and kept for about 10yrs 100K miles. With just washing and waxing the paint looked like it was brand new until the day they sold it, it had no visible orange peel. It had maybe one or two rock chips over its entire ownership and there was no sign of any paint issues over the years. When they decided to get a newer 08 TL and sell the 99 I polished it and did a Zaino process on it. It got tons of positive comments on the finish and they immediately got a couple offers on it from customers at the dealership and immediately sold. My dads 03 CL paint is very similar and has held up very well, hardly any rock chips and a beautiful finish. The 08 TL also has a nice finish with no issues.

Contrast that to my 01 GS430 that has basically the same type of soft clearcoat but the paint is not nearly as durable as the Acuras and I seem to get some kind of new chip every few weeks. I have never experienced a car finish that is so prone to rock chips and road rash like on my GS and I don't tailgate. The difference between my parents Acuras and my Lexus durability/chip resistance wise is huge and the finish on the Acuras looks better too. I have read many threads here were people complain how prone Lexus paint and the GS is to rock chips.

The only issues I have heard of with Honda paint/body panels is a rusting issue mostly from the 80's on some cars that were not regularly waxed in areas that have salted roads. That issue has been long addressed and fixed. In my experience the durability of Acura paints is very good but the clearcoats are softer and more prone to surface swirls like Lexus paint.

If someone takes care of their finish with regular washing and waxing I don't see them having any issues with Acura paint over the years.
American made first gen TLs had horrible paint quality and quality in general. They must have driven the car 4 miles.
Old 12-31-09 | 07:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Although I dislike the front of the new generation MDX,the truck is a lot nicer than the older style.
Old 12-31-09 | 07:18 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not everyone has the kind of budget you do, Russ. 70K is a long way from the typical 40K or so an MDA runs.
That's true Mike... probably why my search on the play car continues... and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
Old 12-31-09 | 07:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Although I dislike the front of the new generation MDX,the truck is a lot nicer than the older style.
Joe, you forgot to add but............ at the end of your post You are a die hard Japanese car guy. If you were looking for a new SUV with 1 baby in the house, would you buy a MDX for almost $50000?
Old 12-31-09 | 08:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I looked at a blue 2010 today on the lot and it had ZERO orange peel. Acura puts out a solid product guys. There is no perfect car. The total package is what counts and functionally and cosmetically the Acura MDX is easily in the the top of its class for me and the needs of the family
CR magazine rates the MDX pretty high, in the Road Tests as well as the Used Car Reliability ratings. BTW, it rates real high in the Paint & Trim area.
Old 12-31-09 | 08:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Joe, you forgot to add but............ at the end of your post You are a die hard Japanese car guy. If you were looking for a new SUV with 1 baby in the house, would you buy a MDX for almost $50000?
I am a die hard Japanese car guy but probably not but I don't need a third seat and if I did,I'd probably go loaded Highlander.My Toyota dealer has loaner cars and probably even if they didn't have loaners.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-31-09 | 10:34 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
CR magazine rates the MDX pretty high, in the Road Tests as well as the Used Car Reliability ratings. BTW, it rates real high in the Paint & Trim area.
thanks for the input man. I looked and looked last night to prove to these show that Acura makes a quality and competitive product . I am planning to take pics of the wife's car to show the paint finish is better than a late model benz. NO ORANGE PEEL.
Old 12-31-09 | 10:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Any paint finish will look good when new, its how durable it is over time that determines a good paint job from a bad one, very few MB have ornage peels. Besides, MB is a much better vehicle than Acura in many other way besides the paint job. Like I said before, sometimes its what you cannot see in a vehicle that counts. Why do you think Acura can affort to sell a SUV with so much feature for so little. Its certainly not because of their low labor rate like the case with the Koreans. The savings have to come from somewhere. If you are perfectly happy with hidden low quality material, then by all means, ignore me. If you havent done so already

Last edited by The G Man; 12-31-09 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-31-09 | 10:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Any paint finish will look good when new, its how durable it is over time that determines a good paint job from a bad one, very few MB have ornage peels. Besides, MB is a much better vehicle than Acura in many other way besides the paint job. Like I said before, sometimes its what you cannot see in a vehicle that counts. Why do you think Acura can affort to sell a SUV with so much feature for so little. Its certainly not because of their low labor rate like the case with the Koreans. The savings have to come from somewhere. If you are perfectly happy with hidden low quality material, then by all means, ignore me. If you havent done so already
You're painting things with a very broad brush when you say MB is a much better vehicle than Acura. Have you ever had the pleasure, or rather the misery of driving an Alabama built Mercedes ML class? Especially the previous gen model? I can hardly think of any car that could be worse.
Old 12-31-09 | 11:06 AM
LexFather

thanks for the input man. I looked and looked last night to prove to these show that Acura makes a quality and competitive product . I am planning to take pics of the wife's car to show the paint finish is better than a late model benz. NO ORANGE PEEL.
I am close to closing this b/c this is how the thread started and now its "trying to prove" to us? Why? No one here has bashed or beat up the MDX outside of styling. Many here have recommended it. Hell I did.

So lets review;
Hey guys I am currently looking to get a new SUV for the wife and new baby on the way. I am wanting to get the wife something that will be very safe, luxurious, and with 7 passenger capacity for the in law visits. I want to stick with a tier 1 company or at least someone who will get her a loaner for any visit (like Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes, etc).
I have been looking at the RX350, ML350, and MDX ( all 2010 ). So far we kind of like the MDX the most because it looks more masculine than the RX, handles better than both the Benz and RX and it has been refreshed for 2010. Lexus will provide the best service experience and Mercedes will provide us a new ownership experience since we generally only drive Japanese.

As far as Consumer reports the 3 SUVs listed are the highest ranked in this category. What do you guys think???????
So you asked us what we think. Do not get upset or try to prove something when you asked for peoples 2 cents.

Going to Acura paint, look Acura is not known to be on the forefront of anything outside of NAV. Their paint is not known for being class leading or the best. I think the MDX paint and RL paint is fine, haven't read or heard problems. The less models do have paint issues.
Old 12-31-09 | 12:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
You're painting things with a very broad brush when you say MB is a much better vehicle than Acura. Have you ever had the pleasure, or rather the misery of driving an Alabama built Mercedes ML class? Especially the previous gen model? I can hardly think of any car that could be worse.
I agree, the 1st gen ML were horrible. A few of my friend had the displeasure of owning one. One of my friend's wife had a early model and her driver door keep retaining water for some reason. The dealer would drain the water, but the problem keep coming back until the dealer drill another drain hole on the door Another friend at work had release levers come off in his hands when trying to activate them and interior panels falling off.
Those were dark times for MB, the 1st gen C class, ML series, basically quality problems across the board. Quality in recent MB have improve but still not as good as the good old days.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am close to closing this b/c this is how the thread started and now its "trying to prove" to us? Why? No one here has bashed or beat up the MDX outside of styling. Many here have recommended it. Hell I did.
Well, I admit I did say a few negative things about the MDX, but thats just my experience, it might not be his. Opinions, rather its positive or negative should be expected when one ask for it on a internet forum. Imagine how useless and boring it would be if everyone agree with the original post.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-31-09 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-31-09 | 12:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I really like the MDX. It's not like the TL where it's ugly no matter what angle you look at it. The MDX is very handsome (side and rear). It's only the front that looks distracting. Honestly if Acura had a front end that matched the rest of the car, it would be one of the best looking Acura ever. I dont mind the interior but for that kind of price, I do wish for real wood.
Old 12-31-09 | 12:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Do you have evidence or links to threads about Acura paint not being durable or not lasting as long as the competition? Could you please post them because this is the first I really am reading of this. Yes I know the clearcoats on Acuras are soft and swirl more easily but many other brands use soft clearcoats like Lexus.

I would not say Mercedes makes much better vehicles then Acura. Mercedes can't hold a candle to Acuras or pretty much any Japanese brands reliability wise. I have found most Acuras to use better materials, have better build quality, and interiors better designed then most Mercedes models. Mercedes offers higher end cars and some unique features and technology over Acura but that comes at a very high price and poor reliability.

The Mercedes high price for their SUVs has nothing to do with them putting more money its SUVs quality wise or Acura putting less money into the MDX quality wise. All Mercedes vehicles are expensive and overpriced, you are paying for the name. German auto labor is the highest in the world by far which greatly factors into price. You think Mercedes does not have hidden low quality material? Mercedes does not make the tanks it used to in the 80's to mid 90's and most of their modern cars are pretty cheaply made and use some pretty cheap materials, Mercedes has even admitted quality and reliability has been a problem.

The reason Acura can offer the MDX at the price it does is mainly because it shares a basic platform with many other Honda and Acura models, it shares a basic engine and transmission and drivetrain design with many other models too which does not effect quality or durability. Acura does not nickel and dime you for most options and features either, most of the stuff is standard aside from NAV unlike German brands. Honda/Acura labor rates are nowhere near as high as German labor rates nor does Honda only rely on luxury sales in the US to make money where Mercedes must price their cars very high because they only rely on luxury sales in the US to make money. Acura MDX buyers don't want to pay 60-75K for the MDX and Acura knows by pricing it that high sales would be much lower. Mercedes buyers are more likely to pay 60-75K for a MDX like vehicle despite it not being any better and unreliable because they will pay extra for the badge and Mercedes knows it.

Your not getting a vastly superior vehicle from Mercedes over an Acura or Lexus when you compare similar vehicles just because prices are really high. I have never felt Mercedes vehicles are superior really anywhere aside from horsepower on a few models or worth paying much extra for the actual vehicles compared to most Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti vehicles. I certainly don't see any interior or quality superiority in modern Mercedes vehicles, maybe back in the 80's and early 90's but not on the models over the past 15years.

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K