Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
How is this off topic. This thread is titled best 7 passenger luxury SUV......Toyota interiors or Mercedes interiors is fine to discuss.
Yes, I partly agree. I wasn't the first one to complain about it being off-topic (I won't use any names)........just trying to keep everybody happy.

To be honest, for the money, there are manufacturers that do a better job on SUV interiors than either Toyota or Mercedes. Even when taking the purchase price into the question, I think it's hard to beat the RX350's interior for the money. I'm not a fan of the console mouse-controller, but it is otherwise superb. Too bad there's no 3rd-row seat for those extra passengers.
Old 01-01-10, 05:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I partly agree. I wasn't the first one to complain about it being off-topic (I won't use any names)........just trying to keep everybody happy.

To be honest, for the money, there are manufacturers that do a better job on SUV interiors than either Toyota or Mercedes. Even when taking the purchase price into the question, I think it's hard to beat the RX350's interior for the money. I'm not a fan of the console mouse-controller, but it is otherwise superb. Too bad there's no 3rd-row seat for those extra passengers.

Honestly if it wasnt for the 3rd row I would go with an RX350. I am happy with the Lexus service experience and I want my wife to have the same nice experience when she goes in for her service
Old 01-01-10, 05:20 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To be honest, for the money, there are manufacturers that do a better job on SUV interiors than either Toyota or Mercedes. .
You are right, there are other manufactures that do a better job of interiors than Toyota in this discussion. But the Toyota Highlander Limited and Highlander Hybrid Limited must be discussed in this threat as they are both between $40k and $50k and they both do offer 7 seats.

There is no doubt that the Highlander has better ergonomics than the MDX . The fit and finish is good however Toyota does use some hard plastics..this isn't like the poor plastic of the Tundra/Sequoia, they are done better in this case. Overall you can't go wrong with the Highlander and the 3.5 wins over the Highlander Hybrid IMO.....It seemed to me that the OP really wanted the highlander over the MDX.

Even when taking the purchase price into the question, I think it's hard to beat the RX350's interior for the money. I'm not a fan of the console mouse-controller, but it is otherwise superb. Too bad there's no 3rd-row seat for those extra passengers
The RX should not be discussed in this thread as it does not offer a third row seat.

Last edited by pagemaster; 01-01-10 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-01-10, 08:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I found the interior in the Venza and the highlander to have very similar design styles as the RX but the quality of the leather wasnt equal.
Old 01-01-10, 08:52 PM
Anessa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tribeca has the seating you want but not the luxury brand name, interiors or car loaners.
Old 01-01-10, 10:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Anessa
The Tribeca has the seating you want but not the luxury brand name, interiors or car loaners.
There are so many nice SUVs out there but the loaner car thing and the 3rd row really helps narrow the list
Old 01-01-10, 10:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

looks like the MDX gets pretty solid ratings from consumer reports. It get the best rating possible in every category from 2007. 2006 model were top rated in all categories except for 1

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...x/overview.htm
Old 01-01-10, 10:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The RX was rated 1 point below the MDX by consumer reports and it has almost the same record for reliability as the MDX but the MDX was rated a hair higher in 2007. Very close to the MDX in rating but I was surprised to see the MDX rated a point higher.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...x/overview.htm
Old 01-01-10, 10:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

here is the consumer reports info on the ML. Definetely not even close to the ranking that the MDX and RX have. The MDX got 80 pts, RX 79 pts, and the ML 69 pts. I am surprised that the MDX beat the RX by a hair. I would have figured it would have been the opposite

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...s/overview.htm

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-01-10 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-01-10, 10:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

OH!!!!! The Highlander emerges as the best from consumer reports. 81 POINTS!!!!!!!!!!! Its clearly a tight race between the RX,MDX, and Highlander

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...r/overview.htm
Old 01-02-10, 06:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
OH!!!!! The Highlander emerges as the best from consumer reports. 81 POINTS!!!!!!!!!!! Its clearly a tight race between the RX,MDX, and Highlander

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...r/overview.htm
Can't opne the links. I think they're for members only.
Old 01-02-10, 11:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I was afraid of that . Thats why I listed the points for each. I will see if I can copy and paste the numbers

nope....not working. Like I said before though highlander was rated at 81, MDX at 80, the ML350 69, and the RX350 at 79

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-02-10 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 12:01 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt go through the whole thread.. Did you consider the Audi Q7? Looks nice Dont know about reliability though
Old 01-03-10, 12:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Didnt go through the whole thread.. Did you consider the Audi Q7? Looks nice Dont know about reliability though
I love it. I think its easily one of the best looking SUVs on the market. Its the right size and has the right seating capacity but its a bit pricey and I am not fond of Audis track record
Old 01-04-10, 07:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Honestly if it wasnt for the 3rd row I would go with an RX350. I am happy with the Lexus service experience and I want my wife to have the same nice experience when she goes in for her service
Then why not go with a 1 or 2 year old GX470, Its a better build SUV than the MDX. The GX is solid like a German SUV and the material is higher quality than the MDX. If you can find one with the KDSS option, it will have better handling, but not as good as the MDX.

Did I mention that the GX have a very good paint job as well

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K