Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 10:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I want to stick with a tier 1 company or at least someone who will get her a loaner for any visit (like Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes, etc).
You might as well cross acura off that list

kidding aside, seems like the mdx fits your bill.

My personal advice-bring a stroller along with your car shopping and see how your wife does with the loading/unloading of all the gears/crap

When your in-law is in town and you want to fold down the 3rd row, see how much storage is left for the baby gears.

Best wishes on your new baby

I believe you mentioned somewhere your wife will not accept a minivan
Me personally, I'd get the new sienna.
Not sure how many kids you have/plan to have, but nothing beats the convenience of a mini-van.
Old 12-21-09, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you you don't need the third-row seat, go with the RX350, and never mind the so-called masculinity/feminity factor, or any other stereotype. The RX, particularly the new 2010 model, is a superb machine.....well-built, high quality inside and out, butter-smooth drivetrain, tomb-quiet sound insulation, and, of course, the all-weather versatility. It will relax you at the end of a hard working day, when you are tired and (may) have to deal with rush-hour traffic.

And I agree with GS3Tek.....best wishes with Junior.
Old 12-21-09, 11:38 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In no particular order. ML, R, GL, RX, Enclace, and the Volvo XC90 which is a very nice suv. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRgwDC4CjiY
Old 12-21-09, 12:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not sure why the ML350 keep getting recommanded here, its a soft rider that has low relaibility rating. The RX350 would be a much better choice in a soft riding SUV.
Old 12-21-09, 12:22 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were in the market to replace our 4runner and if we needed a 3rd row I'd probably be looking pretty closely at a very lightly optioned 2010 RX350. In an SUV like that my #1 priority is comfort which I think the new RX has nailed.

Granted I might also consider less expensive vehicles like the Buick Enclave or even Chevy Traverse but if you're looking in the 40-50k range you're probably looking for more luxury and less practicality.
Old 12-21-09, 12:23 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not sure why the ML350 keep getting recommanded here, its a soft rider that has low relaibility rating. The RX350 would be a much better choice in a soft riding SUV.
My sister in law had a previous gen ML that rode pretty stiffly. Did they soften things up for the current gen?
Old 12-21-09, 12:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
My sister in law had a previous gen ML that rode pretty stiffly. Did they soften things up for the current gen?
Yes, ride and handling in current gen ML was improved significantly.
Old 12-21-09, 12:56 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, ride and handling in current gen ML was improved significantly.
The ride on my ML500 is superb, it maybe due to the fact that I have air suspension.
Old 12-21-09, 01:15 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
The new ML is much softer, handling is about the same as the last gen.
Old 12-21-09, 01:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad co
The ride on my ML500 is superb, it maybe due to the fact that I have air suspension.

That helps ride quality considerably. Have you had any issues (in or out of warranty) with the air suspension system?

The steel spring versions of the ML350/500/550 have a bit of low speed harshness but can handle rough pavement at speed very well.
Old 12-21-09, 02:28 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That helps ride quality considerably. Have you had any issues (in or out of warranty) with the air suspension system?

The steel spring versions of the ML350/500/550 have a bit of low speed harshness but can handle rough pavement at speed very well.
I love the airsuspension, you have a sport option where it frims up the ride, comfort makes it ride like a sedan.
My ML has been bullet proof asside from a funky smell coming out of the air conditioning, that was a quick fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVd2Jt3eiKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocngTV19Ng0
Old 12-21-09, 03:52 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Highlander hybrid or Venza V6 AWD
Old 12-21-09, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Hey guys I am currently looking to get a new SUV for the wife and new baby on the way. I am wanting to get the wife something that will be very safe, luxurious, and with 7 passenger capacity for the in law visits. I want to stick with a tier 1 company or at least someone who will get her a loaner for any visit (like Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes, etc).
I have been looking at the RX350, ML350, and MDX ( all 2010 ). So far we kind of like the MDX the most because it looks more masculine than the RX, handles better than both the Benz and RX and it has been refreshed for 2010. Lexus will provide the best service experience and Mercedes will provide us a new ownership experience since we generally only drive Japanese.

As far as Consumer reports the 3 SUVs listed are the highest ranked in this category. What do you guys think???????
Well if you want to stick to Tier 1, its BMW, Benz, Lexus. Period. So that means choose the X5, RX, GX, LX, ML, GL.

If you don't want tier 1 than the new MDX is a nice SUV. So is the Caddy SRX, Volvo XC 90, Escalade, Highlander, Denali Tahoe, CX-9 and pretty much any SUV. Its hard to find a bad one.

Now if its TRULY for the kid, then the new Sienna looks good and the Venza is a great blend.

What are the priorities here? MPG? Sport? Image? Service?

I think you have a TL also so once u can get past the ugly and the huge expanse of fake wood, the MDX is a good choice.

Personally since I know MOST do not use SUVs for sport, I think the RX 400/450h or ML Bluetec, X5 diesel are good buys.

Old 12-21-09, 08:03 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I am not that familiar with SUV, so I only list the ones I like aesthetically:

Audi Q5
BMW X5
BMW X6
Lexus RX
Old 12-21-09, 08:24 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver