Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 09:37 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of the aforementioned luxury marques should suit you well.
The MDX is easily the best bargain.
The X5, Q5/7, and ML are all excellent choices as well - if you want a Tier 1 luxury marque, then those three would be at the top of your list.

Another late entry that I might suggest is the FX. While the latest generation is far more polarizing than the first generation, it's extremely fun to drive (although it only seats 5) and the interior is possibly the best in its class (ahead of the BMW, on par with the Audi's and Mercedes)

But between the MDX and the ML, you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 12-22-09, 09:47 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Nobody cares about X5 Diesel? They are pretty awesome. But not sure you can have it for 50k. I had 4.8 X5 and I loved it. They only thing is I had to stop at the gas station every other day to fill up the tank. Avg around 13-15mpg. X5 diesel has comparable amount of power but much easier on gas.
Old 12-22-09, 10:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Is the MDX really a bargain? I would not call a $45000 SUV with plastic wood trim and low garde built material a bargain.
Old 12-22-09, 11:02 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

how about a 5.7L sequoia? those are beastly
Old 12-22-09, 11:35 AM
Milla...

Tier 1 and 40-50K doesn't compute (unless you want used) and this is why your getting SUV's being suggested from all over the dog-gon place.

Typically
30-40K Standards - Toyota/ Mazda/Honda/ Nissan etc
45-50K is premium - Acura/ Volvo/ Infiniti / Lincoln etc
60K+ is Tier 1 - MBZ/ BMW/ Lexus/ Land Rover/ Caddy

From what I can deduct from your small discription:
40-50K
7 passager
Reliable/ safe
comparable loaner and not some funky rental
decent Cargo space

= MDX. Period

Last edited by Milla...; 12-22-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-22-09, 12:15 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Milla...
The Lexus RX is not Tier 1. It competes with the Acura MDX, Lincoln SUV, Cadillac SRX and maybe Volvo. The Lexus GX is a Tier 1 luxury vehicle which compete with Land Rover and Mercedes. You could even argue that Toyota's Land Cruiser competes with Range Rover as the LX competes with the Escalade and Range Rover as well.

Lexus IMO has lower end vehicles (HS/IS/ES/RX/GS350) that compete with Tier 2 brands such as Acura and Infiniti but also have higher end models (LS/GS/GX/SC/LX) that push it into Tier 1 status. Lexus is a little different than Mercedes and BMW as those two don't compete at all with Acura and Infiniti. Then there is the whole indentity crisis thing with the LF-A and IS-F.
Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-09, 12:18 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

There's plenty of options in that price range, but not many from the Tier 1 companies for a seven seater in that price range. If you are willing to conisder the MDX, more of a Premium than a Tier 1, than the Enclave and a Ford Flex with Ecoboost are pretty good premium 7 seaters that is if you are willing to consider the Americans. I know you aren't much of a fan of the American autos.
Old 12-22-09, 12:22 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Tier 1 and 40-50K doesn't compute (unless you want used) and this is why your getting SUV's being suggested from all over the dog-gon place.

Typically
30-40K Standards - Toyota/ Mazda/Honda/ Nissan etc
45-50K is premium - Acura/ Volvo/ Infiniti / Lincoln etc

From what I can deduct from your small discription:
40-50K
7 passager
Reliable/ safe
comparable loaner and not some funky rental
decent Cargo space

= MDX. Period
Ding!! Ding!! Ding!!! And for 7-seat Tier 1, Mercedes GL ($65K+) hands down... I LOVE this SUV!!!

For your price ranges, again, MDX wins!!
Old 12-22-09, 12:22 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The Lexus RX is not Tier 1. It competes with the Acura MDX, Lincoln SUV, Cadillac SRX and maybe Volvo. The Lexus GX is a Tier 1 luxury vehicle which compete with Land Rover and Mercedes. You could even argue that Toyota's Land Cruiser competes with Range Rover as the LX competes with the Escalade and Range Rover as well.

Lexus IMO has lower end vehicles (HS/IS/ES/RX/GS350) that compete with Tier 2 brands such as Acura and Infiniti but also have higher end models (LS/GS/GX/SC/LX) that push it into Tier 1 status. Lexus is a little different than Mercedes and BMW as those two don't compete at all with Acura and Infiniti. Then there is the whole indentity crisis thing with the LF-A and IS-F.
Just my opinion.
Yeah it gets all over the place but thats how I list them in efforts to make some sort of sense of it all. I'm sure we can price any premium brand well into tier 1 territory.
Old 12-22-09, 12:57 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
the Enclave and a Ford Flex with Ecoboost are pretty good premium 7 seaters that is if you are willing to consider the Americans. I know you aren't much of a fan of the American autos.
Yeah those are nice autos too but then you go in for service and find out they don't do loaners and if you insist they drop you off at the nearest Hertz and point you to a choice of about 3 of the smallest ecoboxs on the lot.
Old 12-22-09, 01:53 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
Any of the aforementioned luxury marques should suit you well.
The MDX is easily the best bargain.
The X5, Q5/7, and ML are all excellent choices as well - if you want a Tier 1 luxury marque, then those three would be at the top of your list.

Another late entry that I might suggest is the FX. While the latest generation is far more polarizing than the first generation, it's extremely fun to drive (although it only seats 5) and the interior is possibly the best in its class (ahead of the BMW, on par with the Audi's and Mercedes)

But between the MDX and the ML, you can't go wrong with either one.
This is horrible and why u have to b careful about who answers questions on the Internet.

Old 12-22-09, 01:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is horrible and why u have to b careful about who answers questions on the Internet.
lol, I've wanted to say that so many times, but couldn't stop laughing long enough to type it.
Old 12-22-09, 02:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah those are nice autos too but then you go in for service and find out they don't do loaners and if you insist they drop you off at the nearest Hertz and point you to a choice of about 3 of the smallest ecoboxs on the lot.
I looked at a toyota highlander and I loved it but would pull the trigger because of no loaners. I still dont know why anyone who could afford it would go with a car that doesnt offer loaners.

No loaner= no deal
Old 12-22-09, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The Lexus RX is not Tier 1.
Granted, it is not priced in Tier 1 territory (especially lower-line RX350s), but it equals or exceeds a number of Tier 1 vehicles in powertrain smoothness, refinement, noise isolation, overall build quality/fit/finish. For the money, it's hard to beat.

It competes with the Acura MDX, Lincoln SUV, Cadillac SRX and maybe Volvo.
Do you mean the Lincoln MKX and Volvo XC-90? If so, I agree, though it is priced more like the smaller Volvo XC-60. It obviously doesn't compete with the larger, 3rd-row-seat Lincoln MKT or Navigator.

The Lexus GX is a Tier 1 luxury vehicle which compete with Land Rover and Mercedes. You could even argue that Toyota's Land Cruiser competes with Range Rover as the LX competes with the Escalade and Range Rover as well.
You were more correct the second time (with the Land Cruiser/LX570). The GX, a redone Toyota 4Runner, is not really in the same league as the upper-level Land Rovers or the Mercedes GL (I assume you meant the GL). The GX seems to fit in between the Land Rover LR2 and the Range Rover, price-wise....where Land Rover doesn't have a direct competitor.
Old 12-22-09, 02:53 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a 2008 GS470, CPO from a dealer, just a great car !

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K