Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 02:55 PM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I looked at a toyota highlander and I loved it but would pull the trigger because of no loaners. I still dont know why anyone who could afford it would go with a car that doesnt offer loaners.

No loaner= no deal
I agree the new Highlander hybrid is one very very nice suv, cute-ute whatever you want to call it, but unforturnately they will (if they offer it) put you in a Corolla or a camery if you catch'em right if you need a loaner, a total dissapointment coming from the hybrid highlander trim. Do you know when I had my A8 VW tried to put me in a blasted Jetta, eh excuse me, a five door Golf, It was an (audi/vw dealer) thankfully I had another car at home.
Ok I'm going off topic,
anywho, go and check out your top 3 and you'll know which one to get.

Last edited by Milla...; 12-22-09 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 02:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(Don't take this poorly I8ABMR, because it's tongue in cheek)

But why is it that so many Americans feel they need a 7 or 8 passenger full-sized SUV when they have a family of 3 (1 kid)? It's a bit of mystery to me. Just something to think about..... lol and slightly offtopic but not completely.
Old 12-22-09, 03:02 PM
Milla...

I am wanting to get the wife something that will be very safe, luxurious, and with 7 passenger capacity for the in law visits.
^^ he's considering extra passangers that may be with them more often than not. At least this is what I gather but I could be wrong.
Old 12-22-09, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

But why is it that so many Americans feel they need a 7 or 8 passenger full-sized SUV when they have a family of 3 (1 kid)? It's a bit of mystery to me.
I'll let I8ABMR speak for himself, but the most likely reason, IMO, is not just a couple of kids but also pets, vacation luggage, buisness gear, trailer-towing, an occasional cub or girl-scout den, church choir, soccer-team, etc.....

Of course, in some cases like that, a minivan will do just as well, particularly with a larger engine.

It has also been suggested that people with just occasional needs like that keep and use a smaller vehicle for everyday stuff and just rent a larger one when needed.
Old 12-22-09, 03:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
Nobody cares about X5 Diesel? They are pretty awesome. But not sure you can have it for 50k. I had 4.8 X5 and I loved it. They only thing is I had to stop at the gas station every other day to fill up the tank. Avg around 13-15mpg. X5 diesel has comparable amount of power but much easier on gas.
I mentioned it. Not sure why it was ignored. Damn good SUV.

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is the MDX really a bargain? I would not call a $45000 SUV with plastic wood trim and low garde built material a bargain.
To me it is. You get a lot for the money IMO. I can deal with the fake wood and IMO the ugly beak isn't bad here.

lol, I've wanted to say that so many times, but couldn't stop laughing long enough to type it.
I am about to go out and drink on my b-day. The man I8ABMR is asking for some advice, not for people to post their personal prejudices and issues with certain brands or makes. Hey I am no Acura fan but I think the MDX makes a lot of sense here. The only deal is he said "Tier 1" and well Acura is not close.

Old 12-22-09, 03:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll let I8ABMR speak for himself, but the most likely reason, IMO, is not just a couple of kids but also pets, vacation luggage, buisness gear, trailer-towing, an occasional cub or girl-scout den, church choir, soccer-team, etc.....

Of course, in some cases like that, a minivan will do just as well, particularly with a larger engine.

It has also been suggested that people with just occasional needs like that keep and use a smaller vehicle for everyday stuff and just rent a larger one when needed.
Yes I do see the points you brought up above. And I'm one to talk when you see my list of cars/SUVs past and present, certainly not the most economical choices to say the least.

But in the US for those of more moderate incomes, I see these common oversized car choices simply resulting from the availability of cheap gasoline. It's just one way to look at it, not pointing fingers.

But back on topic, I am interested in OP's group of finalist SUV's, I know he is quite car-savy.
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is horrible and why u have to b careful about who answers questions on the Internet.
What are you talking about?
LexFather

But why is it that so many Americans feel they need a 7 or 8 passenger full-sized SUV when they have a family of 3 (1 kid)? It's a bit of mystery to me. Just something to think about..... lol and slightly offtopic but not completely.
Its our bigger is better mentality and of course wagons and vans are not cool.

I wonder could a WRX STi fit the bill with its hatch and you could also have a performance car?

Old 12-22-09, 03:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

dude I live in a 5000 sq ft custom home with 3 car garage and elevator with me, my wife, 2 beagles , 2 cats, and some exotic salt water fish. I am guilty of that American over indulgence but I can afford it and I want the room to expand in the home and as far as the car I want room for the frequent visits from the in laws. Right now when we go out when they are in town we have to take 2 cars because my brother comes with my parents and he is just as big as me. ( 6'5" about 300 lbs)

I have to admit I like the Highlander hybrid limited the most ( dont like the colors though). It great looking , relatively very efficient, roomy, but no loaner= no purchase. That vehicle can get up to 47k with all of the bells and whistles so no loaner is like a slap in the face. I think that Toyota should provide loaners for its higher end cars. If its over 35k you should have a loaner

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-22-09 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 03:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am about to go out and drink on my b-day.
Happy birthday, and no PWI (posting while intoxicated). Be happy, be safe.
Old 12-22-09, 03:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

happy B day Mike. enjoy and be safe
Old 12-22-09, 03:47 PM
LexFather

dude I live in a 5000 sq ft custom home with 3 car garage and elevator with me, my wife, 2 beagles , 2 cats, and some exotic salt water fish. I am guilty of that American over indulgence but I can afford it and I want the room to expand in the home and as far as the car I want room for the frequent visits from the in laws. Right now when we go out when they are in town we have to take 2 cars because my brother comes with my parents and he is just as big as me. ( 6'5" about 300 lbs)
Have you driven the new MDX yet with the 6 speed? I think it gets 1 MPG better or so.

I was at the Lexus dealer today and there was no new GX but they did have a LX and it was my first time actually spending time in it. I could not believe how much I loved the interior and dash layout. It made so much sense and I am also a big guy and there was TONS of room. Shame it costs so damn much.

FWIW they also had a LS sport and I REALLY liked it in person.

I think the ML and X5 are also worth a look here, I really liked the X5.

I don't know cargo and interior measurements of these vehicles off hand though.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Old 12-22-09, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Sienna SE? ;-).

I mean SUV's with 3rd row are useless anyway. Why not buy something you like and then when you get visits 2-3 times per year, rent a van.. IMHO.
Old 12-22-09, 03:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, I understand your choices, makes sense to me.

I too live like you do in a custom hilltop home overlooking the entire Silicon Valley (minus the pets and kids) and a garage that always has contained premium cars.

My question was more focused on lower-middle American with full-sized SUVs hauling 1.5 kids and complaining about gas at $3 per gallon.

Still waiting to hear your finalists.....
Old 12-22-09, 05:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is the MDX really a bargain? I would not call a $45000 SUV with plastic wood trim and low garde built material a bargain.
I wouldnt call MDX materials low grade. It's very good IMO, and far better than MB ML class for instance.

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K