Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 05:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
(Don't take this poorly I8ABMR, because it's tongue in cheek)

But why is it that so many Americans feel they need a 7 or 8 passenger full-sized SUV when they have a family of 3 (1 kid)? It's a bit of mystery to me. Just something to think about..... lol and slightly offtopic but not completely.
But with many seven passenger SUVs the rear seats fold down (MDX, X5) or to the sides (LX, GX) and so you have FAR more cargo capacity compared to five passenger SUVs.
Old 12-22-09, 05:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The one thing that nobody has brought up, is that many of the suggested SUVs are either car based (unibody, indpendent suspension) or truck based (body on frame, live rear axle). It is imporant to understand that both have their plusses and minuses, and the OP should understand the differentce between these, and decide which he would prefer.
Old 12-22-09, 05:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
The one thing that nobody has brought up, is that many of the suggested SUVs are either car based (unibody, indpendent suspension) or truck based (body on frame, live rear axle). It is imporant to understand that both have their plusses and minuses, and the OP should understand the differentce between these, and decide which he would prefer.
Yes certainly the cargo capacity of the larger 7 passenger SUV's is substantial, bigger is better when it comes to sheer capacity.

Nobody brought up the car-based versus truck-based because most (if not all) are well aware of which models are unibody versus body-on-frame construction. The experienced CL posters and OP are very familiar with this and understand the pros and cons of each. Therefore much of the discussion has been about "specific" SUV models.
Old 12-22-09, 05:34 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Have you driven the new MDX yet with the 6 speed? I think it gets 1 MPG better or so.

The dude has an elevator. I don't think 1mpg will make that much of a difference
Old 12-22-09, 05:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Exactly, I understand your choices, makes sense to me.

I too live like you do in a custom hilltop home overlooking the entire Silicon Valley (minus the pets and kids) and a garage that always has contained premium cars.

My question was more focused on lower-middle American with full-sized SUVs hauling 1.5 kids and complaining about gas at $3 per gallon.

Still waiting to hear your finalists.....
for a minute I thought I'd dropped in on Real Estate Chat.
Old 12-22-09, 05:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The dude has an elevator. I don't think 1mpg will make that much of a difference
No big deal, around here new tri-level homes built into hillsides require elevators.
Old 12-22-09, 05:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
for a minute I thought I'd dropped in on Real Estate Chat.
I started that I guess, my fault, but I do want to see his short list of SUVs as he narrows the field.
Old 12-22-09, 05:49 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Granted, it is not priced in Tier 1 territory (especially lower-line RX350s), but it equals or exceeds a number of Tier 1 vehicles in powertrain smoothness, refinement, noise isolation, overall build quality/fit/finish. For the money, it's hard to beat.
For the money it is hard to beat, but tier 1 brand like Audi, Mercedes and BMW all have v8s and are a higher grade of luxury and performance which the RX does not offer. The RX is built off the Camry/highlander platform...

You were more correct the second time (with the Land Cruiser/LX570). The GX, a redone Toyota 4Runner, is not really in the same league as the upper-level Land Rovers or the Mercedes GL (I assume you meant the GL). The GX seems to fit in between the Land Rover LR2 and the Range Rover, price-wise....where Land Rover doesn't have a direct competitor
The GX is built off the Land Cruiser Prado's chassis and design. So is the Toyota 4runner. The Land Rover Discovery is direct competitor of the Land Cruiser Prado worldwide and in North America the Land Rover Discovery is often cross shopped with the Gx470 and now GX460.
Old 12-22-09, 05:59 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Save yourself the extra dough and just get a Honda Pilot Touring AWD w/ DVD. You might not get too many compliments in the looks department, especially in this forum, but I'd rather take functionality over looks any day. Trust me, when you take the family to the pumpkin patch or christmas tree farm, you'll really appreciate the roominess of the vehicle. I managed to fit a 9ft tree inside and still had room for my wife and kid and another adult in the 3rd row. Of course, the tree was in a bag. The DVD player does its job with quieting the kid (or kids). The car gets 23-24mpg on the highway but it sucks driving around the city (16-18mpg).
Old 12-22-09, 06:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Have you driven the new MDX yet with the 6 speed? I think it gets 1 MPG better or so.

I was at the Lexus dealer today and there was no new GX but they did have a LX and it was my first time actually spending time in it. I could not believe how much I loved the interior and dash layout. It made so much sense and I am also a big guy and there was TONS of room. Shame it costs so damn much.

FWIW they also had a LS sport and I REALLY liked it in person.

I think the ML and X5 are also worth a look here, I really liked the X5.

I don't know cargo and interior measurements of these vehicles off hand though.

Thanks for the well wishes.
my wife absolutely loves the X5 but its over 50k new. We have looked at the Cayanne and even the X5 in cpo status.
Originally Posted by spwolf
Sienna SE? ;-).

I mean SUV's with 3rd row are useless anyway. Why not buy something you like and then when you get visits 2-3 times per year, rent a van.. IMHO.
we have thought of that as well but my wife say if you are going to get an SUV get a big one. She said that the RX is like having a midsized sedan with a large trunk
Exactly, I understand your choices, makes sense to me.

I too live like you do in a custom hilltop home overlooking the entire Silicon Valley (minus the pets and kids) and a garage that always has contained premium cars.

My question was more focused on lower-middle American with full-sized SUVs hauling 1.5 kids and complaining about gas at $3 per gallon.

Still waiting to hear your finalists.....

I honestly think that the finalists are........ drum roll........... the Acura MDX #1 . It has all of what I need/want. The only draw back is the poor gas mileage but I can live with it with no issues. The MDX is rated at 5 stars for crash safety, has 7 seats if needed, 2010 model is set up with a 6 speed ( better acceleration and slightly better gas mileage/ 1 mpg), Japanese reliability, awesome sales incentives right now, and the 2010 model is refreshed with cosmetic changes, upgraded nav and bluetooth, chassis reinforcements, new transmission, and more features as standard, and even some new colors. I really would have gone with the Toyota Highlander hybrid limited but no loaner cars means no sale. I like the styling of the Highlander more with its longer body and the fuel efficiency is awesome. It doesnt beat the RX400h but also costs less than 50k with some of the bells and whistles

If we decide to do CPO then I will most likely go for a Lexus GX. I would really like to treat the wife to the awesome Lexus customer service and awesome dealership experience. We will have to see. I was going to pull the trigger on an 09 MDX to get the sales incentives, but when I heard of the new updates to the 2010 MDX I dont want to end my wifes TL 6 months early and have to eat the 6 months payment on the lease. I will probably wait another 2-4 months before I pull the trigger on a new SUV for the wife.

In case anyone is looking for an 09 MDX they are currently giving 6 k off the MDX right now

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-22-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 09:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
For the money it is hard to beat, but tier 1 brand like Audi, Mercedes and BMW all have v8s and are a higher grade of luxury and performance which the RX does not offer. The RX is built off the Camry/highlander platform...

The GX is built off the Land Cruiser Prado's chassis and design. So is the Toyota 4runner. The Land Rover Discovery is direct competitor of the Land Cruiser Prado worldwide and in North America the Land Rover Discovery is often cross shopped with the Gx470 and now GX460.
Seriously why are you posting here? Why are you trying to disrespect the RX with items not related to this thread. On top of that, you CONVENIENTLY forget to mention the RX 450h offers performance and MPG those other brands can only dream of. We know why though, b/c we have read your tirades in plenty of threads.

How the hell do you call Audi, Benz, BMW Tier 1 and not Lexus when EVERY single press release by OTHER carmakers by THEIR EXECUTIVES have said it is

BMW, Benz, Lexus.
(in America).

Old 12-22-09, 10:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was at the Lexus dealer today and there was no new GX but they did have a LX and it was my first time actually spending time in it. I could not believe how much I loved the interior and dash layout. It made so much sense and I am also a big guy and there was TONS of room. Shame it costs so damn much.

FWIW they also had a LS sport and I REALLY liked it in person.

I think the ML and X5 are also worth a look here, I really liked the X5.

I don't know cargo and interior measurements of these vehicles off hand though.

Thanks for the well wishes.

The dealers will get the 2010s this week so I have not had an opportunity to drive it with the new transmission. The 6 speed will aid in acceleration and give a hair more mpg. ( you're right its only 1 mpg ). I think the new front and rear facia and available 19's make the car look awesome. I drove the 09 without the sport ( Tech and entertainment) and blown away at how truly sedan like it felt and the awesome turning radius. The MDX is also very quiet and comes with a great stereo system. I was also very happy with the fit and finish of the car and the dash layout was not as complicated as the magazines make it seem ( especially if you already own an acura ).

I think the MDX is one of the sportiest SUVs in its class. Its styling is nice, the size is right, AND it comes with a sports package that includes magnetorheological suspension ( like the 599 and ZR1). Its a 4600 dollar upgrade but it would make it more fun to drive, especially when you are driving a vehicle that weighs more than 2 tons. These types of systems are available from OEMs for several vehicles, including the Acura MDX, Audi TT and R8, BMWs with EDC (X5, X6, E90-93 M3, E60 M5, E63-E64 M6), Buick Lucerne, Cadillac CTS-V, DTS, XLR, SRX, STS, Chevrolet Corvette, Ferrari 599GTB, 458 Italia and Holden HSV Commodore. These cars are no joke. The MDX is one of four SUVs on the market that come with this set up and 2 of the 4 car almost 2 times the price. The MDX is a special SUV and really hard to beat in its class.

The only 2 things I would like to see changed in the future is better fuel efficiency, and more front leg room for the driver, although I know that ergonomics engineers do not actually design cars for men of my size. It sucks but its the truth. (I was told this by a patient who was an ergonomics engineer that was also 6'5")

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-22-09 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 10:27 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
my wife absolutely loves the X5 but its over 50k new. We have looked at the Cayanne and even the X5 in cpo status.

we have thought of that as well but my wife say if you are going to get an SUV get a big one. She said that the RX is like having a midsized sedan with a large trunk

I honestly think that the finalists are........ drum roll........... the Acura MDX #1 . It has all of what I need/want. The only draw back is the poor gas mileage but I can live with it with no issues. The MDX is rated at 5 stars for crash safety, has 7 seats if needed, 2010 model is set up with a 6 speed ( better acceleration and slightly better gas mileage/ 1 mpg), Japanese reliability, awesome sales incentives right now, and the 2010 model is refreshed with cosmetic changes, upgraded nav and bluetooth, chassis reinforcements, new transmission, and more features as standard, and even some new colors. I really would have gone with the Toyota Highlander hybrid limited but no loaner cars means no sale. I like the styling of the Highlander more with its longer body and the fuel efficiency is awesome. It doesnt beat the RX400h but also costs less than 50k with some of the bells and whistles

If we decide to do CPO then I will most likely go for a Lexus GX. I would really like to treat the wife to the awesome Lexus customer service and awesome dealership experience. We will have to see. I was going to pull the trigger on an 09 MDX to get the sales incentives, but when I heard of the new updates to the 2010 MDX I dont want to end my wifes TL 6 months early and have to eat the 6 months payment on the lease. I will probably wait another 2-4 months before I pull the trigger on a new SUV for the wife.

In case anyone is looking for an 09 MDX they are currently giving 6 k off the MDX right now
Looks like you have made your choice. You never mentioned much about the RX350 anywhere? That is what the MDX really competes with, that and the Highlander Limited.
Old 12-22-09, 11:50 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Congratulations on your decision!

(This whole Tier 1 thing is asinine. It's entirely subjective)
Old 12-23-09, 04:57 AM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

Seriously why are you posting here? Why are you trying to disrespect the RX with items not related to this thread. On top of that, you CONVENIENTLY forget to mention the RX 450h offers performance and MPG those other brands can only dream of. We know why though, b/c we have read your tirades in plenty of threads.

How the hell do you call Audi, Benz, BMW Tier 1 and not Lexus when EVERY single press release by OTHER carmakers by THEIR EXECUTIVES have said it is

BMW, Benz, Lexus.
(in America).

that's true i don't care what all these haters say, lexus is in the same status as bmw and benz. I noticed you didn't put audi lol their cars are so unreliable its funny. they have one good car the r8 everything else is trashy quality. Audi wishes they were Lexus lol.

Lexus rx over the x5 anyday..

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K