Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 05:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I looked at a toyota highlander and I loved it but would pull the trigger because of no loaners. I still dont know why anyone who could afford it would go with a car that doesnt offer loaners.

No loaner= no deal
If you buy the Toyota extended platinum warranty, you are guarantee a loaner.

It looks like you have already made up your mind, the MDX is a nice SUV but you will realize why you get so much for the money once you own it for a few years like I did.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-23-09 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-23-09, 06:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you buy the Toyota extended platinum warranty, you are guarantee a loaner.
I have the Platinum plan on my Rav4 & never recieved a loaner. I don't recall any mention of loaner vehicles in the pamphlets.. Where did you see this mentioned G?

It looks like you have already made up your mind, the MDX is a nice SUV but you will realize why you get so much for the money once you own it for a few years like I did.
The MDX is a nice choice in suv in the 40 to 50k range for sure. It is a very handsome vehicle that I considered myself since it is/was in the same ballpark as the X3. The one downside is that it lacks the tight euro feel that I seeked. It can't be described behind a keyboard but once you drive a Japanese vehicle & Euro vehicle one will understand.

Good luck I8bmr with the MDX!
Old 12-23-09, 06:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I have the Platinum plan on my Rav4 & never recieved a loaner. I don't recall any mention of loaner vehicles in the pamphlets.. Where did you see this mentioned G?
I think its in the booklet, my dealer use it as a selling point and we have used it to get loaners a couple of time. Every we ask for it, the SA seems surprise and say this is the 1st time they have heard of that, everytime they would have to go check with the manager and everytime they gave us a loaner
The draw back is that you dont get the same model of car you own, you get whatever they have available.
Old 12-23-09, 06:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The Toyota dealer I've bought from in the past and other dealers in my area provide loaners.
Old 12-23-09, 06:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think its in the booklet, my dealer use it as a selling point and we have used it to get loaners a couple of time. Every we ask for it, the SA seems surprise and say this is the 1st time they have heard of that, everytime they would have to go check with the manager and everytime they gave us a loaner
The draw back is that you dont get the same model of car you own, you get whatever they have available.
Originally Posted by Joeb427
The Toyota dealer I've bought from in the past and other dealers in my area provide loaners.
I guess it is a NYC dealer thing? I will have to check out the pamphlet once more because Bayside Toyota does not offer loaners at all to its customers.
Old 12-23-09, 07:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I guess it is a NYC dealer thing? I will have to check out the pamphlet once more because Bayside Toyota does not offer loaners at all to its customers.
The closest reference I can find on the Toyota site is the Toyota Certified Used Vehicles warranty which is basically that same as the extended platium warranty. It states in the website that Substitute transportation and roadside assistance are to be included:

http://www.toyotacertified.com/warranty.html
Old 12-23-09, 08:30 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

they will provide substitute transportation on WARRANTY stuff, but not for regular service.
Old 12-23-09, 11:13 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MDX is an eyesore of a vehicle. Buying one, to me, at least is telling the world that I have no eye for design...or don't care.

Sorry, ALL the Acuras are just way too ugly with no cohesive styling to speak of. I'd get the Audi Q5 or Q7.
Old 12-23-09, 01:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude I live in a 5000 sq ft custom home with 3 car garage and elevator with me, my wife, 2 beagles , 2 cats, and some exotic salt water fish.
I live in someone's garage, and that garage does not even have an elevator. But I have 3 exotic fishy wives, and no cats.

MDX fits the bill but it's not quite aesthetically pleasing. May you can sell your elevator and get a X5 instead? You should go drive one before you decide. X5 diesel would be my choice of SUV for my wife.
Old 12-23-09, 01:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No big deal, around here new tri-level homes built into hillsides require elevators.
A house with an elevator is not a big deal to you? Holy smoke!
Old 12-23-09, 04:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I will reverify with the service manager. I really like the Highlander hybrid limited the most BUT I dont want her to have to sit in a waiting room at a dealership with a new baby in her hands
Old 12-23-09, 04:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
The MDX is an eyesore of a vehicle. Buying one, to me, at least is telling the world that I have no eye for design...or don't care.

Sorry, ALL the Acuras are just way too ugly with no cohesive styling to speak of. I'd get the Audi Q5 or Q7.
The style appeal is subjective plus with an Audi my with will make a lot more trips to the dealership for problems and I am trying to make her life easier with the new baby

I dont the MDX is ugly at all with its sport new front fascia and 19" wheels. I think the highlander looks nicer but loaner convienience is going to make the sale for Acura on this one. I intend to get the car in the same color as the one shown in the picture and with the Sport package to get the 19" wheels
Attached Thumbnails Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-mdx.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-23-09 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 09:29 PM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

The style appeal is subjective plus with an Audi my with will make a lot more trips to the dealership for problems and I am trying to make her life easier with the new baby

els
haha yes definitely an audi will have problems. I don't care if most of the reliability lists show they have made improvements. in my mind facts don't change and I hang onto perceptions because at the end of the day i just want to feel more comfortable with a jap car.
Old 12-23-09, 10:00 PM
LexFather

Its better but still IMO ugly.

Old 12-24-09, 01:44 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

well many 2 GS guys say the 3 GS is ugly and soft. I dont buy that either. To each his own. On paper the Acura wins every time. In my eyes it wins #2 aesthetically with the highlander #1 in the looks department.

There very few SUV's on the market that offer a sports package with the magnetorhelogical suspension. Its the same type of instantly adaptive magnetic suspension found in cars like the 599 and ZR1. The only other SUVs that even offer this type of a suspension set up ( for the dads who want to have a little fun in their 2 ton SUV) are the BMW X5, X6, and Cadillac SRX. Kudos to Acura for remembering the dads who want better handling and bigger wheels. At 4600 the package isn't cheap but I think it will liven the car up a with better looks and handling , and maybe make the wife's adaption to an SUV less shocking considering she will not lose handling ability from her TL.

In the end the loaner car, suspension, and 7 passenger seating is a combination that none of the other manufactuers can meet. Oh yeah I also prefer Japanese cars over anything else really
Attached Thumbnails Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-mdx.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-24-09 at 01:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K