Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 01:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This is the color combination that we will be going with. Dark cherry pearl with light interior. I am excited to take a trip to LA in that thing

Acura MDX !!!! WINNER!!!! WINNER!!!! WINNER!!!
Attached Thumbnails Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-acura-mdx-0.jpg   Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-acura-mdx-23_cd_gallery.jpg   Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-acura-mdx-rear.jpg   Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010-acura-mdx-interior-dash.jpg   Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K-2010_acura_mdx_interior_cd_gallery.jpg  

Old 12-24-09, 04:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call !! Should meet just what you need...
Old 12-24-09, 01:03 PM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

man that's a nice interior. but i won't lie, pretty ugly outside. what's up Honda???
Old 12-24-09, 01:42 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Space shuttles have less buttons than that.
Old 12-24-09, 02:22 PM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

^haha yeah i've never seen any lexus w/ that many buttons inside. I just saw that steering wheel. wow
Old 12-24-09, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatLex
^haha yeah i've never seen any lexus w/ that many buttons inside. I just saw that steering wheel. wow
I disagree. Yes, a lot of buttons can be distracting, but I'd rather have that than try and fool around with I-Drive/MMI controllers. And the MDX does have a less-complex ****/controller.....you see it on the lower-dash, just above the console.
Old 12-24-09, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Good call !! Should meet just what you need...
I agree. Though I'm not a fan of the parrot-beak grille, I8ABMR, not a bad choice at all........especially with that nice interior.

Looks like it will be a nice Christmas present.
Old 12-24-09, 05:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree. Yes, a lot of buttons can be distracting, but I'd rather have that than try and fool around with I-Drive/MMI controllers. And the MDX does have a less-complex ****/controller.....you see it on the lower-dash, just above the console.
Acuras have way too many buttons, even without iDrive, there should not be so many (and there is not on Toyotas/Lexus's).... There were 30 of us driving Euro Honda Accord (Acura TSX), and only i was able to turn on navigation screen. yes, it was that complicated.
Old 12-24-09, 05:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I8ABMR - congrats on the car!
Old 12-24-09, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
well many 2 GS guys say the 3 GS is ugly and soft. I dont buy that either. To each his own. On paper the Acura wins every time. In my eyes it wins #2 aesthetically with the highlander #1 in the looks department.

There very few SUV's on the market that offer a sports package with the magnetorhelogical suspension. Its the same type of instantly adaptive magnetic suspension found in cars like the 599 and ZR1. The only other SUVs that even offer this type of a suspension set up ( for the dads who want to have a little fun in their 2 ton SUV) are the BMW X5, X6, and Cadillac SRX. Kudos to Acura for remembering the dads who want better handling and bigger wheels. At 4600 the package isn't cheap but I think it will liven the car up a with better looks and handling , and maybe make the wife's adaption to an SUV less shocking considering she will not lose handling ability from her TL.

In the end the loaner car, suspension, and 7 passenger seating is a combination that none of the other manufactuers can meet. Oh yeah I also prefer Japanese cars over anything else really
The GS has nothing to do with this conversation. The GS has won design awards. Acura has the ugliest lineup around today. The MDX and TSX are the least ugly, kind of like saying pecan poop is the best smelling poop.

I can't help but feel you already had your mind made up on what you were buying here, not sure why we were asked for opinions.

All that matters is you are happy and you are paying for it.

Old 12-24-09, 07:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Not everyone shares your thoughts on auto styling ( Acura sells more than a few cars every years ). I am probably going to go with the MDX because it suits my needs the best overall. I appreciate the comments but I dont want to get you all worked up.
I agree that the MDX is less handsome and efficient than the Highlander Hybrid but the loaner issue is whats going to make the sale for Acura. I will consult with the Toyota service manager to see exactly what they can do in terms of loaner cars or even the ability to have a rental car waiting at the dealership. ( my infiniti dealer had a enterprise inside. Thats was convenient )

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-24-09 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 07:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Though I'm not a fan of the parrot-beak grille, I8ABMR, not a bad choice at all........especially with that nice interior.

Agreed, right tool for the job. Merry Christmas Eve!
Old 12-24-09, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, right tool for the job. Merry Christmas Eve!

you to buddy

I think the grille will grow on mr. If not its less than 3-400 dollars to replace it with a cadillacesque grille. I really like the color combination of cherry pearl exterior with a light gray interior. The suspension will make the car lots of fun and the stereo will be great on long trips to LA.

USA TODAY

Might as well be a sports sedan instead of an SUV.

"...handles better on the track than some well-known and highly regarded European SUVs.

"Smooth, confident, serene. Firm but not hard-riding. Accommodating and compliant but not sloppy-feeling. Put some higher-price rivals to shame, it did.

"The test vehicle had the optional sport suspension, meaning it delivered both racetrack delight and rough-road coddling. Nice work.

"Special merit award goes to the SH-AWD®, Acura's acronym for super-handling all-wheel drive. On the track, once you got used to just when to nail the gas exiting a corner, you could feel the SH-AWD straighten the vehicle and send it smartly forward.

"...SH-AWD feeds more power to the rear wheel on the outside of a turn to gently power-pivot the MDX into the right heading. What a treat to have a high-tech gadget actually help the driver do as he wishes, instead of preventing that, as other systems often do.

"Nice package; might be best of the premium SUV lot."
Old 12-24-09, 08:39 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

the Highlander Hybrid but the loaner issue is whats going to make the sale for Acura. I
This is so trivial. The Highlander Hybrid barely needs much service during the warranty period and the wait will likely be very minimal at most.

If the Highlander is a better overall SUV and loses out because of loaner vehicle, that is a little lame.
Old 12-24-09, 10:02 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

considering she will not lose handling ability from her TL.
I haven't taken the time to look up numbers but I have a very hard time believing the MDX will handle alongside a TL. Maybe it feels nearly as nice through turns, but when it comes down to it on a road course I doubt it would be pretty for an MDX.

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K