Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 10:17 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Since when did this thread turn into mid-sized suv's? I thought title stated 7 passenger luxury SUV's? In which case, I doubt there are any for the budget stated.
Old 12-25-09, 12:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Since when did this thread turn into mid-sized suv's? I thought title stated 7 passenger luxury SUV's? In which case, I doubt there are any for the budget stated.
The MDX is a 7 passenger luxury SUV with an MSRP of about 48k loaded. The Highlander hybrid limited also goes for about 47-48 loaded. The highlander isnt what I would call a luxury SUV but it offers about 85% of the Acura luxury. Avura offers a nicer interior and better quality leather on the seats. The highlander is awesome with its high 20's mpg
Old 12-28-09, 01:16 AM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree. Yes, a lot of buttons can be distracting, but I'd rather have that than try and fool around with I-Drive/MMI controllers. And the MDX does have a less-complex ****/controller.....you see it on the lower-dash, just above the console.
MAYBE but even I have to admit the honda/acura controller feels like a preschool toy..cheap and cheap. at least the idrive and command controllers are made of metal.
Old 12-28-09, 01:20 AM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The MDX is a 7 passenger luxury SUV with an MSRP of about 48k loaded. The Highlander hybrid limited also goes for about 47-48 loaded. The highlander isnt what I would call a luxury SUV but it offers about 85% of the Acura luxury. Avura offers a nicer interior and better quality leather on the seats. The highlander is awesome with its high 20's mpg
yeah but man comparing a highlander with an acura mdx is nonsensicle. I don't directly compare a top trim $35K camry xle with an entry level Acura TL...2 different cars. highlander is a soccer mom suv with no hint of performance involved. highlander competes with honda pilot. Acura mdx should be compared to bmw x5/mb ML/Lexus GX and maybe an audi q7/porsche cayenne. I personally know where your coming from wanting japanese reliability, but I have to say the bmw x5 is one nice suv that no doubt drives better than the acura mdx (and prob any suv in this class sans the Cayenne turbo). plus it looks better and IMO idrive>acura nav interface all day long. I don't know if I would personally buy one (reliability), but it is one nice car in the showroom and on the test drive. Don't get me wrong, the Acura mdx is one nice suv that drives nice for the price, but i think u should be directly comparing it with a (more expensive) x5...

Last edited by PlatLex; 12-28-09 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 07:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
well many 2 GS guys say the 3 GS is ugly and soft. I dont buy that either. To each his own. On paper the Acura wins every time. In my eyes it wins #2 aesthetically with the highlander #1 in the looks department.
Man I8ABMR, I use to have respect for you as far as car styling, but the Highlander and MDX good looking????? Come on, please.

They also need a few more buttons in the MDX's interior and can Acura make that plastic wood trim piece any bigger? Companies such as Toyota spend millions of dollars trying to hide all those button and yet Acura just leave it all out there for people to see.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-28-09 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 07:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Man I8ABMR, I use to have respect for you as far as car styling, but the Highlander and MDX good looking????? Come on, please.

They also need a few more buttons in the MDX's interior and can Acura make that plastic wood trim piece any bigger? Companies such as Toyota spend millions of dollars trying to hide all those button and yet Acura just leave it all out there for people to see.
I agree a bit on the MDX but I feel the Highlander looks much better than the last generation which I didn't like..
A larger,more aggressive,less chick suv look.I like it.
Old 12-28-09, 07:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I agree on the MDX but I feel the Highlander looks much better than the last generation which I didn't like..
A larger,more aggressive,less chick suv look.
I think the Aztec looks better than the last gen highlander
Old 12-28-09, 08:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I think the Aztec looks better than the last gen highlander
That Pontiac was bad!It did have a pull out center console cooler.
I like the Highlander for the wife but not the $38K list price the way I would want it.
Would you believe my wife still wants a RAV4 over the RX and a Highlander?
She loved her '06.
Old 12-28-09, 08:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The new highlander, although improved, still handles like a boat. Maybe your wife's attraction to the RAV4 is the price, cargo space, reliability and handling. The RAV4 is hard to beat in those 4 areas.
Old 12-28-09, 08:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The new highlander, although improved, still handles like a boat. Maybe your wife's attraction to the RAV4 is the price, cargo space, reliability and handling. The RAV4 is hard to beat in those 4 areas.
True.
She isn't a 'car' person.Although she likes the RX,she would somehow rather have a RAV4.
Go figure!
I guess I'll have to see what the new design '12 RAV4 looks like.
Old 12-28-09, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

True.
She isn't a 'car' person.Although she likes the RX,she would somehow rather have a RAV4.
Go figure!
I guess I'll have to see what the new design '12 RAV4 looks like.
Can she live with the RAV-4's interior? IMO, it is rather cheap (like some other Toyotas, a fair amount of silver-painted plastic and wobbly *****).......certainly no comparison to that of the RX.
Old 12-28-09, 08:58 AM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

Ddtjjbdrtukjfserukbfdu
Old 12-28-09, 09:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Can she live with the RAV-4's interior? IMO, it is rather cheap (like some other Toyotas, a fair amount of silver-painted plastic and wobbly *****).......certainly no comparison to that of the RX.
Mike,my wife could care less about luxury and the cheap silver ***** and such.I'm the one who likes luxury.
She liked her '06 RAV4.I traded in her RAV and went out and got the RX to surprise her and I got the surprise.She does like the RX but wants another RAV4.
I guess I'm lucky.
Old 12-28-09, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Mike,my wife could care less about luxury and the cheap silver ***** and such.I'm the one who likes luxury.
I see.......she is ever the practical one.

She liked her '06 RAV4.I traded in her RAV and went out and got the RX to surprise her and I got the surprise. She does like the RX but wants another RAV4.
I guess I'm lucky.
Well....yes, if she's satisfied with less car-buying dollars coming out of your pocket (or hers), I guess you are indeed fortunate. You two can probably save around 10K (or more) with a RAV-4.
Old 12-28-09, 11:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I see.......she is ever the practical one.

Well....yes, if she's satisfied with less car-buying dollars coming out of your pocket (or hers), I guess you are indeed fortunate. You two can probably save around 10K (or more) with a RAV-4.
I wish my wife was like that, it would free up more money for me to buy cars

Quick Reply: Best 7 passenger luxury SUVs for 40-50 K