Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I want to build a bobber

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 03:15 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to build a bobber

I have fallen in love with them!! A bobber is a bike modded to have that old school 1940's 50's look. This is done by adding different handle bars, eliminating the windshield, the front fender, putting in a smaller rear fender etc. For those of you that have done this yourself how challenging was it? Any suggestions on a bike to start out with? I was looking for a v star 650 or a honda rebel?

Old 12-21-09, 03:39 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have no input for you (never even heard the term 'bobber' before), but that sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Do you have any pics of actual conversions? Those that you posted look like old school rigids.
Old 12-21-09, 04:21 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

That's what the bobber conversion does XD. Some history about the bobber, WW2 vets came back to the states and wanted bike's. Nothing made in the U.S looked or felt like the euro bikes, so they created there own by basically stripping them and adding different suspension components.
Old 12-21-09, 04:25 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

< Yamaha V-Star 650

< honda shadow

Old 12-21-09, 05:33 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I myself like this style.
Old 12-21-09, 05:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

cool looking, but looks uncomfortable and lethal.
Old 12-21-09, 05:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about a Ducati bobber?

Old 12-21-09, 09:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the look of some custom baggers.
Old 12-21-09, 09:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
cool looking, but looks uncomfortable and lethal.
Can you reword that into a catchy advertising slogan.
Old 12-21-09, 10:06 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ducati's nice but isn't it more of a chopper style...?
Old 12-22-09, 06:35 AM
Milla...

I've seen this style before very different indeed, but like the poster up above said they look very loud uncomfortable and dangerous, to me.
Old 12-22-09, 07:24 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Bobbers are cool. I'd like to build one someday myself, but want to build a nice cafe' racer first.

The real idea behind a bobber wasn't so much that GI's were trying to replicate bikes they saw over in Europe, but more a matter of stripping as much weight off of the bike as possible to make it faster and lighter. One of the first things they would do would to be 'bob' or cut off as much of the rear fender as they could, hence the term bobber.

I've never built one myself, but know some people who have. How hard it is to do depends on what bike you start with, your personal skill level, how much money you wanna spend, and a whole lot of ingenuity (especially if you wanna go low budget).

I'd start with a bike that's air cooled, first and foremost. Last thing you want on a bobber is a big ol' radiator sticking out the front. A 650 Star is a good start, but I would personally look for an older Kawi Vulcan 800. If you want something easy, and are willing to spend the cash, you could also use a Sportster as a base. The aftermarket for HD is amazing, and you could pretty much order kits to convert a Sporty. The metric bikes are gonna be cheaper, but require a lot more inginuity and fabrication - though you won't see a clone of yours like you would with the HD's.

I've seen a few built out of Savage-650's, Honda Rebels, and such, but they just don't look right to me. I much prefer a bit more motor, as well as the look of a twin in a bobber frame. But thats just a personal preferance.

I would think the biggest challenge (no matter what frame you use) is going to be removing the rear suspension and converting the bike to a rigid. Lots of cutting, grinding and welding.

Search KawasakiMotorcycles.org, as there are a few guys who have built them out of VN-800's with some really nice results.
Old 12-22-09, 01:18 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I thought you said BOOBIES
Old 12-22-09, 02:25 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaseman
Bobbers are cool. I'd like to build one someday myself, but want to build a nice cafe' racer first.

The real idea behind a bobber wasn't so much that GI's were trying to replicate bikes they saw over in Europe, but more a matter of stripping as much weight off of the bike as possible to make it faster and lighter. One of the first things they would do would to be 'bob' or cut off as much of the rear fender as they could, hence the term bobber.

I've never built one myself, but know some people who have. How hard it is to do depends on what bike you start with, your personal skill level, how much money you wanna spend, and a whole lot of ingenuity (especially if you wanna go low budget).

I'd start with a bike that's air cooled, first and foremost. Last thing you want on a bobber is a big ol' radiator sticking out the front. A 650 Star is a good start, but I would personally look for an older Kawi Vulcan 800. If you want something easy, and are willing to spend the cash, you could also use a Sportster as a base. The aftermarket for HD is amazing, and you could pretty much order kits to convert a Sporty. The metric bikes are gonna be cheaper, but require a lot more inginuity and fabrication - though you won't see a clone of yours like you would with the HD's.

I've seen a few built out of Savage-650's, Honda Rebels, and such, but they just don't look right to me. I much prefer a bit more motor, as well as the look of a twin in a bobber frame. But thats just a personal preferance.

I would think the biggest challenge (no matter what frame you use) is going to be removing the rear suspension and converting the bike to a rigid. Lots of cutting, grinding and welding.

Search KawasakiMotorcycles.org, as there are a few guys who have built them out of VN-800's with some really nice results.
Thanks for the good info!!
Old 12-22-09, 02:33 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Have any experience with bikes?

Quick Reply: I want to build a bobber