Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile Magazine: 2010 All-Stars

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 08:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hmmm, something tells me you have never drove a sport sedan with a performance version of AWD before.

While you may not want an AWD sport sedan, many owners out there do, it can actually improve handling. I am sure you have seen the performance numbers between a Acura TL with and with the SH-AWD system. Even if we take out the AWD option from the 335xi, that would only reduce it by $2000 which make it the same price as the S4.
The IS350 is hard to beat in terms of price, but like most things in life, you really get what you pay for, its just not the same quality.
Can you list the options of the comparison you made with the $62000 ISF and the $59000 S4, I am sure they dont have the same options.
Something tells me Audi gets a PASS for being German. They build mostly FWD cars including a FWD A8. The S4 is a FWD car with AWD slapped on. We beat up Acura for doing this band aid, why not Audi? Surely if Lexus slapped AWD on a FWD ES and called it the ES-F, or ES sport, the internetz would blast such a car.

I like the S4, I like Audi, I think from 45k-50k its a good buy but over that price, its nuts.

Originally Posted by primecut
And what are some of those qualities that you speak of (Besides AWD, which can be had in the 250)?

Saying that Audi is a better buy than BMW doesn't say much. As you know, BMW is best known for nickel and diming for EVERYTHING and Audi is just taking cues from BMW's play book.

Car manufacturers are experts at the pricing/configuration game. The only way for Audi to justify the cost of the S4 is to package it in a way where their competitors will not be able to match perfectly. That way, it creates a value proposition that otherwise does not exist. By trying to build a 335 to be like the Audi... well that's exactly what Audi wants you to do.
Exactly. Audi is pricing and packaging their S cars in a way where they really don't have direct competitors. There is nothing wrong with that but your post is on the money.

Originally Posted by PlatLex
man i am not an audi fan (terrible reliability) but the 1 thing they do well is quattro. without that, audi has nothing at all. I don't really like the new s4 but i don't get how it's so much more expensive when its priced just like the bmw 335. i mean i don't know, it just comes with more standard options.
True reliability has always been pretty questionable and yes, their AWD system is very solid.

I would get a S4 over a 335 10 times out of 10 though.

Old 12-23-09, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatLex
man i am not an audi fan (terrible reliability) but the 1 thing they do well is quattro. without that, audi has nothing at all.
I have to disagree here somewhat. Audi does more things well than just Quattro AWD. Check out the paint jobs on all of their models and the interior trim quality on the A4, A5, A6, and A8 lines....even the A3 to some extent. Then, check out the 2.0T engine and S-Tronic gearbox. I think you will agree that everything I listed is first-rate. However, the reliability of Audi electronic components can be a problem....there you may have a point. Also, I personally don't like Audi's MMI......but that is a subjective matter. Some people do like it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-09 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-23-09, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
True reliability has always been pretty questionable and yes, their AWD system is very solid.
Audi and Subaru wrote the book on car-based AWD, though some other systems, like Acura's SH-AWD and Volvo's Haldex, are also quite good in some areas. Toyota and Honda also do solid, reliable AWD (witness the CR-V, RAV-4, Highlander, Pilot, etc.....), but their systems aren't as sophisticated as some others.

One system I also like (and that combines AWD with high fuel mileage) is the 3-electric-motor Toyota/Lexus hybrid-drive that places one electric motor with the gas engine and one at each rear wheel, though, of course, that system is expensive to produce.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-09 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-23-09, 10:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One system I also like (and that combines AWD with high fuel mileage) is the 3-electric-motor Toyota/Lexus hybrid-drive that places one electric motor with the gas engine and one at each rear wheel, though, of course, that system is expensive to produce.
I believe that is the system Lexus is using on the RX hybrid, it is suppose to be as good as mech AWD in the snow.
Old 12-23-09, 11:09 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No I have not, but I had a pretty good cab ride in Fusion Hybrid in SF in November. My preference is still the Camry Hybrid for the better exterior styling (a close relative in my wife's family owns one) and proven quality/resale/reliability, despite the huge insider Ford discounts I'm entitled to.
I'm no Ford fan but the Camry has to be the ugliest car in its class. There is no design or styling to begin with....it's just a plastic looking blob of a car. The 2nd ugliest car is the Accord which is way overstyled with no cohesive themes.

I think the new Fusion looks a lot better than both cars...and I mean a LOT better. The changes over the old Fusion make it look very European. I still prefer the Accord's interior though. Camry interior feels cheap to me...especially the Walmart alarm clock center console.
Old 12-23-09, 03:26 PM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something tells me Audi gets a PASS for being German. They build mostly FWD cars including a FWD A8. The S4 is a FWD car with AWD slapped on. We beat up Acura for doing this band aid, why not Audi? Surely if Lexus slapped AWD on a FWD ES and called it the ES-F, or ES sport, the internetz would blast such a car.
lol man i don't like audi like I said but theres nothing worse than a man who wants to talk when he has no idea what hes talkin about! i've driven lots of audis so i have no problem showing my distaste for them and i think you're right in what you say. but if this guy mplexus, wants to talk, maybe he should admit he hasn't driven the car! 1sicklex, i'll bet you $10 the user is prob just a kid online. internet experts fail.

but good call on audi! lol
Old 12-23-09, 03:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Strange that everyone I know (-1) who has owned an Audi in the last 5 years has described a complete ECU failure at some point in the car's life. One person had the ECU quit while in motion on the freeway at 75 mph. The rest just refused to start one day. The one person I know whose Audi has not done this has a two year old car.

For inexplicable reasons, German engine management has proved to be less than reliable when compared to Japanese makers. Not to say anyone has a zero failure rate, but among the people I know with MB, BMW, and Audi cars; I've heard of ECU failures fairly regularly. Not so for the Japanese or American manufacturers.

And no, I don't believe in an inherent superiority in four wheel drive. Lap records at tracks around the world are still held by 2wd vehicles. Sure when the road is slick it never hurts to have drive on all four, but when traction is good the excess heft of the AWD gear just gets in the way of going fast. Surely that's a big part of why the Viper ACR laps the 'Ring more quickly than any four wheel drive vehicle including Godzilla.
Old 12-23-09, 07:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rosskoss
I'm no Ford fan but the Camry has to be the ugliest car in its class. There is no design or styling to begin with....it's just a plastic looking blob of a car. The 2nd ugliest car is the Accord which is way overstyled with no cohesive themes.

I think the new Fusion looks a lot better than both cars...and I mean a LOT better. The changes over the old Fusion make it look very European. I still prefer the Accord's interior though. Camry interior feels cheap to me...especially the Walmart alarm clock center console.
Wut? The Camry might be called ugly but it does have style. This is the most styled Camry ever, good or bad.

I do agree that the Fusion with the facelift looks pretty fantastic, I am a huge fan of it.

I still don't get this Camry interior is cheap thing. Its no Lexus but its not as some people make it out to be.

Old 12-23-09, 08:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the Camry looks better than Accord sedan (a definite competitor).
Old 12-24-09, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I still don't get this Camry interior is cheap thing. Its no Lexus but its not as some people make it out to be.
In general, no, it's not that bad an interior, but the dash/console plastics and wobbly, flimsy *****, IMO, are classic El Cheapo. Try them out for yourself and I think you'll agree with me.

Old 12-28-09, 08:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That is one ugly interior.
Old 12-28-09, 08:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an '07 Camry XLE and the interior was decent without those ugly *****..

Old 12-28-09, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I had an '07 Camry XLE and the interior was decent without those ugly *****..

Yes...the NAV-equipped Camrys have different climate-controls in them. They don't feel quite as cheap or flimsy as the standard ones.
Old 12-28-09, 09:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...the NAV-equipped Camrys have different climate-controls in them. They don't feel quite as cheap or flimsy as the standard ones.
Even without NAV,the XLE has climate control and doesn't have those ugly *****.

Old 12-28-09, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Even without NAV,the XLE has climate control and doesn't have those ugly *****.

Sorry, Joeb...you're right. I had a momentary lapse, and confused the NAV models with the non-NAV, automatic-climate-control ones. (the XLE, of course, has the automatic system).

Good catch.

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine: 2010 All-Stars