Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

People who send text messages while driving are six times more likely to crash, a new

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 08:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

give it a few years and it will soon be illegal to even have a phone in the car.
Old 12-22-09, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
give it a few years and it will soon be illegal to even have a phone in the car.
It won't matter. It's already an unenforceable rule....a thousand times over. Too many people use cell-phones...the police will never be able to control it.

We have no-cell-phone-use laws now in some states, and people just laugh at them.
Old 12-22-09, 09:34 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
honestly, that's kind of what i thought when i first saw this thread. it's just simple common sense that texting while driving is more likely to crash, how much more it shouldn't really matter anymore. just shouldn't do it, period.
LOL, but at the same time, scientists need to pay for their bills with these "studies".

Some related studies also show that alcohol can get you drunk and smoking marijuana will get you stoned. Therefore, after more studies, you should not drink and be stoned while you are driving.
Old 12-22-09, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
LOL, but at the same time, scientists need to pay for their bills with these "studies".

Some related studies also show that alcohol can get you drunk and smoking marijuana will get you stoned. Therefore, after more studies, you should not drink and be stoned while you are driving.
Just ask Lindsay Lohan.......and two wrecked Mercedes AMG's.

Nor is it limited to celebrities. One of our local police chiefs (Alexandria, VA) got stopped and busted for drunken driving in a neighboring jurisdiction...Arlington. He admitted it, didn't contest it and accepted the charges. And, let's be honest......for every DUI on the road, there are probably 10 or more people yakking on a cell-phone.
Old 12-22-09, 09:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

still an unenforceable law, add texting to the millions of other possible ways to get distracted. Dont anyone kid themselves into thinking theres going to be any significant change in the amount of accidents, because the hot blonde in the red convertible is just as distracting as the other million ways to get distracted.
Old 12-22-09, 09:49 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just ask Lindsay Lohan.......and two wrecked Mercedes AMG's.

Nor is it limited to celebrities. One of our local police chiefs (Alexandria, VA) got stopped and busted for drunken driving in a neighboring jurisdiction...Arlington. He admitted it, didn't contest it and accepted the charges. And, let's be honest......for every DUI on the road, there are probably 10 or more people yakking on a cell-phone.
DUI kills, cell phone kills, and a hot gf in the passenger kills too. Actually, we need to do study for having a hot girl in the passenger seat.
Old 12-22-09, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
DUI kills, cell phone kills, and a hot gf in the passenger kills too. Actually, we need to do study for having a hot girl in the passenger seat.
If she's THAT hot, or dear to the driver, you would think that he would go all-out to preserve her safety and drive sensibly.
Old 12-22-09, 10:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It won't matter. It's already an unenforceable rule....a thousand times over. Too many people use cell-phones...the police will never be able to control it.

We have no-cell-phone-use laws now in some states, and people just laugh at them.
Unenforceable to a certain extent, if someone is texting and get into an accident. A court of law have the right to subpoena the cell phone record of the driver.
Old 12-22-09, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Unenforceable to a certain extent, if someone is texting and get into an accident. A court of law have the right to subpoena the cell phone record of the driver.
Maybe in some circumstanmces. The way I undestand it, if a text-message is not actually finshed and sent when the accident happens, it is not recorded on the driver's record (please correct me if I'm wrong, as I, myself, don't get into texting). You may have a point, though, with cell phones. If you dial someone and they answer at their end, the call is recorded.
Old 12-22-09, 02:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
In reality that doesn't happen, I know because I observed a vehicular manslaughter trial involving the death of a motorcyclist. The phone/texting thing was brought up, no follow-through.

Yes call history and texting history is traceable.

Texting/phoning/picking nose is still not a valid excuse in court of law for dangerous driving.
Old 12-22-09, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Texting/phoning/picking nose is still not a valid excuse in court of law for dangerous driving.
With her personality, could you just imagine Judge Judy's reaction to an excuse like that, in her courtroom?

If you have ever watched her TV court cases, you'll know EXACTLY what I mean.....although she doesn't normally handle a traffic offense, unless it is connected with her small-claims civil suit.
Old 12-22-09, 02:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

With her personality, could you just imagine Judge Judy's reaction to an excuse like that, in her courtroom?

If you have ever watched her TV court cases, you'll know EXACTLY what I mean.
I don't watch that junk too often., but I do enjoy some of her sarcastic reactions to the peeps.

My cousin is a lawyer, so I learn a lot of the good, mostly bad and ugly.
Old 12-22-09, 02:59 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Statistics are crap.

Trust me, I know.
Old 12-22-09, 03:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

These studies are done to create and enforce state laws and legislation. When they want a certain law to pass pay someone to go out and get the results that will convince the law makers that this is the right decision
Old 12-23-09, 06:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

as I, myself, don't get into texting).
I am with you mmarshall, Its much easier for me to call someone and actually talk to them instead of typing on those little keys on the phone.

Quick Reply: People who send text messages while driving are six times more likely to crash, a new