Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

People who send text messages while driving are six times more likely to crash, a new

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 06:35 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am with you mmarshall, Its much easier for me to call someone and actually talk to them instead of typing on those little keys on the phone.
Both of you must be over 35 years old.
Old 12-23-09, 06:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
Both of you must be over 35 years old.
Yes we are and my 14 year old kid agree with you, he said its way cooler to text someone than to call someone personally
Old 12-23-09, 07:00 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes we are and my 14 year old kid agree with you, he said its way cooler to text someone than to call someone personally
Cooler? Hmmm... I'm 27. I text a fair amount (I only have 200 texts a month so I don't text unless needed) but I only thought it was for convenience (just wanted to say something quick, no drawn out call required) or necessity (in a meeting, can't talk)... not 'cool' or 'uncool'. Maybe I'm falling behind the times already.
Old 12-23-09, 07:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
Cooler? Hmmm... I'm 27. I text a fair amount (I only have 200 texts a month so I don't text unless needed) but I only thought it was for convenience (just wanted to say something quick, no drawn out call required) or necessity (in a meeting, can't talk)... not 'cool' or 'uncool'. Maybe I'm falling behind the times already.
The word good bye can stop a drawn out conversation faster than texting And if you are in a meeting, just shut off the phone and let the answering service pick up. I hate people who text in a meeting, its very rude and un-professional.

I really dont have anything against people who text, as long as you dont do it while driving near me.
Old 12-23-09, 07:15 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

The word good bye can stop a drawn out conversation faster than texting
There's lots of formalities and unnecessary conversation involved when talking... especially when talking to some people that are chatty. With texting no bye is required. You also have the convenience of having a text record of what was said if you need to go back and reference it. And you can also allow the person to reply to the text on their own schedule rather than answer the phone immediately and talk or play voicemail tag.

And if you are in a meeting, just shut off the phone and let the answering service pick up. I hate people who text in a meeting, its very rude and un-professional.
Depends on the meeting. I have been in meetings where the subject matter had absolutely nothing to do with me and yet they wanted me on hand in case the conversation steered to something and they needed to ask me a quick/easy question. I'll text occasionally in those meetings if I need to tell my wife or a friend something important. I generally do it in a way that nobody can even tell I'm texting unless they're looking down between my legs.
Old 12-23-09, 07:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I'll text occasionally in those meetings if I need to tell my wife or a friend something important. I generally do it in a way that nobody can even tell I'm texting unless they're looking down between my legs.
So our society have come to this, a bunch of guys and gals looking between their legs texting away in a meeting while one guy is talking to himself
Old 12-23-09, 07:47 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

So our society have come to this, a bunch of guys and gals looking between their legs texting away in a meeting while one guy is talking to himself
The sentence you deleted before this one is a pretty major qualifier. In my experience people don't tend to text when the subject matter pertains to them. In corporate America people are asked to attend meetings as a formality or as a precaution even though they have basically nothing to do with what's being discussed.

Aside from that IF I send a text it's going to take me all of 20 seconds out of a 2 hour long meeting. I'm sure your attention has never wandered in a long meeting that has nothing to do with you.
Old 12-23-09, 08:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The sentence you deleted before this one is a pretty major qualifier. In my experience people don't tend to text when the subject matter pertains to them. In corporate America people are asked to attend meetings as a formality or as a precaution even though they have basically nothing to do with what's being discussed.

Aside from that IF I send a text it's going to take me all of 20 seconds out of a 2 hour long meeting. I'm sure your attention has never wandered in a long meeting that has nothing to do with you.
I guess I do not work for a big company that have their people attend meeting just for the sake of attending meetings. For me, if I attend a meeting, it’s usually me an a bunch of project leaders discussing a project we are working on. I usually listen to what everyone is doing so I know how it will affect me, so what everyone has to say in the meeting is important to me. People usually text or talk on their cell phone outside the meeting room only. One of my big boss is an old timer and he thinks that it’s a disrespect to him for people to text and talk on the cell phone while he is trying run a meeting and I agree with him. He even went as far as to ask everyone to switch their cell phone off a couple of time because it was so distracting.
Old 12-23-09, 08:59 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
Statistics are crap.

Trust me, I know.
studies said 97.45930945% of the stats are made up on the spot.
Old 12-23-09, 09:18 AM
LexFather

I've seen people texting before but this was pretty astounding a Civic driver....using the Qwerty keyboard and paying NO attention to the road....she was all over the place on I-75!!! Had to snap a pic as I thought of this thread.

Old 12-23-09, 09:39 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've seen people texting before but this was pretty astounding a Civic driver....using the Qwerty keyboard and paying NO attention to the road....she was all over the place on I-75!!! Had to snap a pic as I thought of this thread.

You do realize the hypocrisy of you taking a pic of her with your cell phone while you were driving, right?

Yes I'm sure it's not as difficult to take a pic as it is to type a message but still... it's in the same vein of thought.
Old 12-23-09, 09:51 AM
LexFather

You do realize the hypocrisy of you taking a pic of her with your cell phone while you were driving, right?

Yes I'm sure it's not as difficult to take a pic as it is to type a message but still... it's in the same vein of thought.
lol, oh I did think of it and I knew if I posted on the internetz someone would ask for my head

I was so astounded though, I mean she truly could care less about people around her and driving. Looking at her expressionless face, surely her text was not urgent.

Old 12-23-09, 09:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Makes me wonder why phones don't have a speech to text feature. Yes it seems counter intuitive to say what you want to text but the fact is if people are texting while driving, it would be much safer to do it this way. But who knows why they won't just call the other person.
Old 12-23-09, 10:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I see that she is using 2 hands to text, so how many hands is ahe using to drive her car on the freeway? It is people like her that creates the need for the texting while driving ban.

Threxx, speech to text is a great idea and I am sure it will be available soon. I am surprise the I-phone dont have a app for that yet.
Old 12-23-09, 10:10 AM
LexFather

I wonder do Japanese/Asian phones have speech to text and our phones are again way behind. Good idea.

Quick Reply: People who send text messages while driving are six times more likely to crash, a new