Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

People who send text messages while driving are six times more likely to crash, a new

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 10:16 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Some phones do. My Droid does. Have never tried it while driving, but it does work flawlessly.
Old 12-23-09, 12:09 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hold the phone next to the steering wheel you don't have to remove your sight from the road.
Old 12-23-09, 01:25 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've said it time and time again.....make the fines unreasonably high. People who get caught will perhaps think twice about doing it again in the near future. Next time I see some inconsiderate jerk texting while driving on the highway, I'm going to lay my horn down next to them and scare the **** out of them.

And as for texting in general, Boondocks hit the nail on the head with it. I won't post the link, due to NWS language, but it is SPOT on about texting (go to youtube and look up "Boondocks Texting").
Old 12-28-09, 08:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Next time I see some inconsiderate jerk texting while driving on the highway, I'm going to lay my horn down next to them and scare the **** out of them.
When ever I see a driver not paying attention because he or ahe is texting or on the phone, I have one hand on the horn because I know there is a good chance I will need to use it.
Old 12-28-09, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
When ever I see a driver not paying attention because he or ahe is texting or on the phone, I have one hand on the horn because I know there is a good chance I will need to use it.
........and just hope that it is not a tough biker or a gang member.
Old 12-28-09, 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I still think his defensive driving technique to avoid a collision is a good thing, despite the insignificant possibility of the stereotypical tough biker or gang member.

A friendly tap on the horn (only if needed) saves everybody the hassle associated with crunching sheet metal, covering the horn is good basic defensive driving.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-28-09 at 10:23 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-28-09, 11:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with IS-SV, a tap on the horn is better than getting into an accident with that tough biker
Old 12-28-09, 01:13 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If everyone drove a standard ...

I know when I'm driving the M, the phone is a lot of work so I only-only use it if I absolutely need to. However, when I'm in the Rover (because a really don't need one hand and one foot) I can do things like make a phone call.

I recall one time my friend and I were out and about and we were talking about how Blackberrys make the world better because there are times when you're driving along and you're thinking *I need a red light* (so you could send a txt or email or whatnot) but clearly people can't think far enough to just wait for the red light.
Old 12-28-09, 01:30 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester

I know when I'm driving the M, the phone is a lot of work so I only-only use it if I absolutely need to. However, when I'm in the Rover (because a really don't need one hand and one foot) I can do things like make a phone call.

I recall one time my friend and I were out and about and we were talking about how Blackberrys make the world better because there are times when you're driving along and you're thinking *I need a red light* (so you could send a txt or email or whatnot) but clearly people can't think far enough to just wait for the red light.
I agree. People don't consider the lasting potential of their actions, not to mention how easy it is to just wait or pull over...could save your life or someone elses.
Old 12-28-09, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I still think his defensive driving technique to avoid a collision is a good thing, despite the insignificant possibility of the stereotypical tough biker or gang member.

A friendly tap on the horn (only if needed) saves everybody the hassle associated with crunching sheet metal, covering the horn is good basic defensive driving.
Agreed. Most people you encounter behind the wheel are reasonable......but I have seen exceptions (I've ridden with one or two of them, too).
Old 12-28-09, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That's an excellent point. Conventional automatics helped make driving so easy that drivers were often tempted to get into multi-tasking. But some of the newer automatics (and automanuals) of course, are complex enough in their own right, with multi-shift gates for the lever, column paddles, and power/economy modes.

There are many reasons, though, why people can't (or won't) drive conventional three-pedal manuals. Some have leg/foot problems and find it painful or impossible; some just don't want the hassles of a clutch pedal in heavy traffic; some don't want to have to periodically replace the clutch and synchros when they wear out, and some, of course, have problems starting from rest on steep hills without rolling back (some clutches have Hill-Holder devices to help with that).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-09 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 03:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. Most people you encounter behind the wheel are reasonable......but I have seen exceptions (I've ridden with one or two of them, too).
Agreed, there are always rare exceptions. I haven't been struck by lightening personally but I've seen people die on the road not that that matters either.

When I drive, I drive defensively watching out for number 1 (me and my passengers safety), covering the horn is good technique in potentially dangerous situations.
Old 12-29-09, 05:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If you are shifting with one hand and have the cell on the other hand, how many hands do you have on the steering wheel?
Old 12-29-09, 09:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I almost called a 911 on a "drunk driver" at night only to find out it was someone texting...

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you are shifting with one hand and have the cell on the other hand, how many hands do you have on the steering wheel?
That's what she's trying to say. If both of your hands are occupied, you won't be able to text.
Old 12-29-09, 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
That's what she's trying to say. If both of your hands are occupied, you won't be able to text.
Lol, its ashame that in today society, driving on the highway doing 75 MPG, the actual driving part become second priority or sometime 3rd or even 4th.

Quick Reply: People who send text messages while driving are six times more likely to crash, a new