Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

People who send text messages while driving are six times more likely to crash, a new

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 10:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Zero.

The use of Cell phone is highly unrecommended when driving a vehicle with manual transmission. It's a huge no-no. When driving, full concentration is a must. Think nothing else. It doesn't take much to get an fatal accident.
while i agree using phone is completely unrecommended when driving, i don't agree it's "particularly" the case with manual tranny. imho fulll concentration is needed when driving ANY car, auto or manual. and to be honest, i don't see myself to need to concentrate "more" when driving my m3. if one does, that means the person is still "learning" how to drive a stick shift, much like learning how to drive a car in general. once used to, all the shifting are completely natural
Old 12-29-09, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lol, its ashame that in today society, driving on the highway doing 75 MPG, the actual driving part become second priority or sometime 3rd or even 4th.
hehe i don't know you can get 75 mpg j/k

but yes, i agree it's very dangerous. i can't believe anyone who thinks that extra texting or whatever can be more precious than their or others' lives
Old 12-29-09, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by meowCat
^ I meant use full concentration on any vehicle, not just a manual. I wasn't referring to the manual particularly... muahahahahahahahaha
we are on the same page
Old 12-29-09, 10:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just two weeks ago, I was driving on route 20 doing about 50 MPH, some teenager ran a red light and I had to panic stop while turning right. I was about 6 inches from hitting him. I am sure if I was talking or texting on the cell phone, I would not have avoid the accident.
Old 12-29-09, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just two weeks ago, I was driving on route 20 doing about 50 MPH, some teenager ran a red light and I had to panic stop while turning right. I was about 6 inches from hitting him. I am sure if I was talking or texting on the cell phone, I would not have avoid the accident.

Agreed......and, very likely, that teenager was yakking on a cell-phone and didn't notice the light himself.
Old 12-29-09, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
while i agree using phone is completely unrecommended when driving, i don't agree it's "particularly" the case with manual tranny. imho fulll concentration is needed when driving ANY car, auto or manual. and to be honest, i don't see myself to need to concentrate "more" when driving my m3. if one does, that means the person is still "learning" how to drive a stick shift, much like learning how to drive a car in general. once used to, all the shifting are completely natural
You're correct on both counts, Henry.......First, that cell-phones can be a distraction in any car, and, Second, that driving a traditional manual with a clutch, in most cases, is as natural as an automatic, once you note the lever's shift pattern, the number of gears, and where first and reverse are. That's especially so for people like me and 1SICKLEX who drive and test a lot of different cars, manual and automatic. The only shift levers I still have some problems with is BMW's electronic console lever and some of the hybrid column-stubs...they can be a PITA.
Old 12-30-09, 10:59 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're correct on both counts, Henry.......First, that cell-phones can be a distraction in any car, and, Second, that driving a traditional manual with a clutch, in most cases, is as natural as an automatic, once you note the lever's shift pattern, the number of gears, and where first and reverse are. That's especially so for people like me and 1SICKLEX who drive and test a lot of different cars, manual and automatic. The only shift levers I still have some problems with is BMW's electronic console lever and some of the hybrid column-stubs...they can be a PITA.
I still can't get used to BMW elec. shift. It is actually kind of aggravating that I can get it but my mom who can do it easily, but then again it is her X5
Old 12-30-09, 11:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I still can't get used to BMW elec. shift. It is actually kind of aggravating that I can get it but my mom who can do it easily, but then again it is her X5
I wasnt too fond of it myself, but I am sure its like anything else, one will get use to it if he or she owns the car for long enough.
The BMW shifter is a classic case of, if its not broken, dont fix it senario.