Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota FT-86 to get a stripped down (affordable) competition / track edition

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 02:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Yeah, I read about the car. Only downside is it's teeny size. At least the Genesis coupe can handle big guys. Toyota should not screw up by aiming only at boys.
yikes. what exactly are you talking about?

I sure hope FT-86 is competitor to cars that get more sales than Genesis Coupe.
Old 12-26-09, 06:57 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

The concept Toyota is about the size of the last Celica.
The Genesis coupe is about the size of the G35.
Old 12-26-09, 07:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to admit I am blown away by the value , tuneability, and performance that the Hyundai Genesis provides. I think toyota will need to come to the market with a solid product ( as usual), but at a competitive price. I think the lack of a turbo option will turn tuners off.
Old 12-26-09, 08:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have to admit I am blown away by the value , tuneability, and performance that the Hyundai Genesis provides. I think toyota will need to come to the market with a solid product ( as usual), but at a competitive price. I think the lack of a turbo option will turn tuners off.
Any good tuner knows, on a price/performance basis, that it is easier to add power efficiently than to loose weight elegantly.

In any case, I'd bet a turbo swap with an STi engine would be a walk in the park. No real tuner is going to walk away from this car. A genesis 2.0T would need 275hp to match the power/weight ratio of the FT-86 if it comes in at 1200kg and 220hp.
Old 12-26-09, 08:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
The concept Toyota is about the size of the last Celica.
The Genesis coupe is about the size of the G35.
oh you meant the back space or what? As FT-86 seems to be all about building low weight, low cost sports car...
Old 12-26-09, 11:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Any good tuner knows, on a price/performance basis, that it is easier to add power efficiently than to loose weight elegantly.

In any case, I'd bet a turbo swap with an STi engine would be a walk in the park. No real tuner is going to walk away from this car. A genesis 2.0T would need 275hp to match the power/weight ratio of the FT-86 if it comes in at 1200kg and 220hp.
1200 kg????????? get real man. Hyundai did a great job. Toyota has yet to do the same with the new model

1200 kg???? LMAO
Old 12-27-09, 12:06 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
1200 kg????????? get real man. Hyundai did a great job. Toyota has yet to do the same with the new model

1200 kg???? LMAO
What's so laughable about 1200kg? Although talk is that the target (and in fact the concept) is 1000kg, I don't expect it to be that light, but I don't see why the FT-86 should be any heavier than 1200kg. Do you have the slightest idea how tiny a car it is?

The genesis in 2.0 is 1500kg (3300lbs). As much as I like the Genesis, I can't say that they did a great job.
Old 12-27-09, 12:13 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

Reggie is like 10 feet tall.. He needs a bigger car LOL..
Old 12-27-09, 12:19 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

more competition is great. 86 will outsell gen coupe easily. gen coupe is not selling because it's 3-4 grand too expensive. i tried to deal last summer, but man it's expensive. 29k OTD for 4 banger track!!!! hyundai has changed. lol
Old 12-27-09, 12:29 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

over in Korea, someone is pushing 540rwhp out of 2.0T genny.. it really has a huge tuning potential. gen coupe really brings out the ricer in me. lol
Old 12-27-09, 08:24 AM
LexFather

merged........

Old 12-27-09, 09:09 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

In any case, I'd bet a turbo swap with an STi engine would be a walk in the park.
Do you realize what a small % of the people interested in this car your statement will actually apply to? Who wants to buy a new car and then swap in a different motor that the car should have come with in the first place?

This is a big part of the reason I never bought an MR-S. If Toyota doesn't at least offer a turbo option, then they'll be fighting the battle with 1 arm tied behind their back.
Old 12-27-09, 11:03 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by replica
Do you realize what a small % of the people interested in this car your statement will actually apply to? Who wants to buy a new car and then swap in a different motor that the car should have come with in the first place?

This is a big part of the reason I never bought an MR-S. If Toyota doesn't at least offer a turbo option, then they'll be fighting the battle with 1 arm tied behind their back.
Do you realize what a small percentage of people interested in buying such a car will actually want more than 200hp and a turbo motor?

Originally Posted by joe80
more competition is great. 86 will outsell gen coupe easily. gen coupe is not selling because it's 3-4 grand too expensive. i tried to deal last summer, but man it's expensive. 29k OTD for 4 banger track!!!! hyundai has changed. lol

Gen coupe is 3-400lbs overweight.
Old 12-27-09, 01:22 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Do you realize what a small percentage of people interested in buying such a car will actually want more than 200hp and a turbo motor?

lol - swing and a miss, sorry bud

yes, I'm sure most of the people waiting for a new sportscar from Toyota are hoping they keep the power @ 200 or less,
Old 12-27-09, 05:41 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by replica
lol - swing and a miss, sorry bud

yes, I'm sure most of the people waiting for a new sportscar from Toyota are hoping they keep the power @ 200 or less,
Don't be a ****. Most people will buy the car because it's good looking and economical. Period. They won't care how fast it is, or how well it handles, and that is the cold hard truth. They will sell based on looks, reliability and affordability.

I'm not saying that more power wouldn't be appreciated by enthusiasts, I'm saying that for the purpose of this car, much more is not necessary.

Swing and a miss to you. People who actually care (Enthusiasts) will not be afraid to mod, and honestly a lightweight, well balanced chassis with enough hp is just fine. The car needs to sell to survive. It needs to have a low price to sell in big numbers, because not many buyers buy this kind of vehicle as their primary car (and for those that do, it has to be reliable and economical). To do this, it will have to be (besides cheap);
a) light and adequately powered or
b) heavy and powerful.
Making it heavy makes it less economical and also defeats the purpose of this car (Cheap - to acquire, own & operate, lightweight, fun).

Is that so hard to get? Of course there are people who won't grasp this concept for whatever reason, but rest assured, they are not the ones Toyota are targeting. It will sell just fine I think, in droves probably, as long as they stay true to their goals.
Toyota will not build a mass market car that is not profitable, and to be profitable, it needs to be able to sell lots of em. This car as is, hits the market in a niche that has not existed for decades and is yearning for attention. They are right on the money.

Quick Reply: Toyota FT-86 to get a stripped down (affordable) competition / track edition