Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota FT-86 to get a stripped down (affordable) competition / track edition

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 05:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

p.s. Who is to say they won't offer a higher trim turbo option?
Old 12-28-09, 12:23 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

exactly - they should have an NA option *AND* a turbo option. This is what they must do to satisfy ALL of the people interested in this car, or else they'll continue to lose business to the other companies that offer boosted cars. I'm tired of Toyota's 'just enough is enough' approach, although this will likely change now that Hyundai is becoming a threat and that Akio is in charge. So yeah, don't be a **** and act like 200 hp is just fine & dandy in 2011+ (it's not). And gee, if it's not enough (it isn't) - just do a friggin motor swap into the first mass-market brand new sports car from Toyota in almost a decade. That is all
Old 12-28-09, 01:13 AM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

what the hell is wrong with just 200 horsepower? if i recall, the volkswagon gti has only 200hp from a turbo engine. so does a hyundai genesis coupe. so what?? sure a turbo would be nice to compete with cars like the mazda speed 3, but it's just nice to see toyota doing rwd again. i'm just hoping the final product is more manly looking than the weak sauce scion tc (total fail)
Old 12-28-09, 01:25 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

200hp in a car that weighs 1246kg (the number that has been tossed around as most likely) is a pretty solid power to weight. Not to mention the fact that the motor at 2.0L is pumping out 100HP/Liter NA - very impressive! When your vehicle is light it doesn't take a whole lot of power to get moving - or more importantly to have fun!

Conventional wisdom is saying that the Subaru variant is going to get the turbo motor so we just have to wait and see.
Old 12-28-09, 04:41 AM
LexFather

Please refer yourself to the big FT-86 thread I bumped with info from the chief designer. Low weight is the priority and also low mass.

Old 12-28-09, 05:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
p.s. Who is to say they won't offer a higher trim turbo option?
maybe they will... i hope they will. afterall it is subbie engine.

but you never know with japanese... look at MR-S, that car begged for bigger engine... same as every miata and s2000. Japanese do preffer low weight and good driveability, but lets hope there is 250+ hp version of FT-86.... Luckily Toyoda is in charge now
Old 12-28-09, 12:09 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by replica
exactly - they should have an NA option *AND* a turbo option. This is what they must do to satisfy ALL of the people interested in this car, or else they'll continue to lose business to the other companies that offer boosted cars. I'm tired of Toyota's 'just enough is enough' approach, although this will likely change now that Hyundai is becoming a threat and that Akio is in charge. So yeah, don't be a **** and act like 200 hp is just fine & dandy in 2011+ (it's not). And gee, if it's not enough (it isn't) - just do a friggin motor swap into the first mass-market brand new sports car from Toyota in almost a decade. That is all
What other boosted cars are there in this market niche? You don't get it, the only car that exists right now that is comparable is the genesis which is a freaking PIG.

It's not that 200hp is enough, it's that it is enough for the ***weight*** of the car.

The point of this car is totally lost on you, why am I even bothering to argue?
Old 12-28-09, 12:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
What other boosted cars are there in this market niche? You don't get it, the only car that exists right now that is comparable is the genesis which is a freaking PIG.

It's not that 200hp is enough, it's that it is enough for the ***weight*** of the car.

The point of this car is totally lost on you, why am I even bothering to argue?
still would be good to have turbo option for all the kiddies :-)... most people would still buy "base" version, but high power one would be there to beat our chests with ;-)
Old 12-28-09, 02:41 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

This is a nice chop!!

Damn I rather ride that thing then an IS.

Old 12-28-09, 02:50 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
still would be good to have turbo option for all the kiddies :-)... most people would still buy "base" version, but high power one would be there to beat our chests with ;-)
Believe me, I'm not against a turbo version, in fact it's been hinted that one would be offered. I would certainly be willing to pay a few extra $$ for it too.

I'm just arguing that the car would be far from a failure even if it weren't offered with a turbo.
Old 12-28-09, 03:00 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
oh you meant the back space or what? As FT-86 seems to be all about building low weight, low cost sports car...
No, I mean that a car the size of a Celica is too small for big and/or tall guys. Toyota finally considers making a car I might want, a sport coupe but makes it too small for me. Even if the front had enough leg room when you are big you look silly in little cars....except Porsche of course.