Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota FT-86 to get a stripped down (affordable) competition / track edition

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 08:10 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up Toyota FT-86 to get a stripped down (affordable) competition / track edition

Both Toyota and Honda are planning to go racing with their new sports cars, the FT-86 and the CR-Z respectively.

While the showroom version of the FT-86 is expected to cost over $27,000 in full spec (that's a touch over L16K, but expect that price to be considerably higher for UK cars), one source close to Toyota told us that a special low-frills competition version will sell for less than $22,000 and be specially set up for racing with stiffer suspension and beefier brakes. The same model will be used for drifting competitions.

Meanwhile, Honda has slightly bigger plans for its CR-Z. In addition to dual applications of its new hybrid system, namely entry in a one-make sprint race series as well as petrol-sipping eco-runs -- at the same circuit, on the same day with the same drivers -- Honda also plans to enter rhe CR-Z in endurance racing at the Nürburgring, starting from the second half of 2010.

One Honda Germany press officer said that if the race cars could be prepared in time, 'Honda Europe would very much like to get the ball rolling with a couple of cars for the 24-hour race in May, maybe even one for an all-girl team!'

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226

Old 12-21-09, 08:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't that what they did with the Scion tC?

The spec version has crap radio, stamped wheels, plastic steering wheel, and no carpet. For like $2k less...
Old 12-21-09, 08:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The Hatchiroku is back baby. I am happy to see that Toyota is heading in the right direction
Old 12-21-09, 09:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news, but at this point I'd be happy to see any edition of the FT-86.
Old 12-22-09, 06:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

FT86 > CR-Z

Chances are that the CR-Z's hybrid system will be lame anyway.
Old 12-22-09, 06:30 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Isn't that what they did with the Scion tC?

The spec version has crap radio, stamped wheels, plastic steering wheel, and no carpet. For like $2k less...
Yea that's what the Spec tC was like.
Also fixed glass roof (no sunroof motor) and a number of minor cosmetic things. The spec tC does have carpeting however and I believe the same standard audio minus audio controls on the wheel.

Last edited by Koma; 12-22-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-22-09, 06:43 AM
St00k
Driver

Considering Hyundai now offers the R-Spec, I think this only makes sense. Can't wait to drive one!
Old 12-22-09, 07:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i doubt that the stripped down version will be significantly cheaper than the base model... price difference is probably between well equipped and stripped.

We should be lucky with $1k difference. But people will take anything they can, as modders will take out all the stuff they dont need anyway.
Old 12-22-09, 03:38 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i facepalm when i see people who strip everything in their daily driver.
Old 12-22-09, 03:41 PM
LexFather

I want to really see how it looks in person..the concept does it for me....could be a fun, moddable RWD car.....

Would ANYONE buy the next tC?

Old 12-22-09, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
i facepalm when i see people who strip everything in their daily driver.
it is not really stripping... it is mostly for people who want to spent money on customizing it later on... why pay for audio system and alloy wheels when you are going to swap them out right away? And of course, those who want it for track, they would stip it anyway ;-)

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I want to really see how it looks in person..the concept does it for me....could be a fun, moddable RWD car.....

Would ANYONE buy the next tC?
Concept looks very production ready... Scion tC is 4k-5k less...
Old 12-22-09, 08:27 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it Toyota!!.

Roll up windows, carpet delete, ac delete, stereo delete.

Then throw in an LFA V10 for good measure. lol lol lol
Win.
Old 12-25-09, 06:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Track prepped FT 86 set to battle Genesis R spec.

The Toyota FT-86 concept represents for many Toyota fans a return to what made the brand great: simple, low-cost, fun-to-drive and stylish cars like the Celica, MR2 and AE86 Corolla. Somewhere along the way the fun-to-drive part, at least, was lost. But the latest reports hint that Toyota may be going all-out for their return to sports cars.
A stripped down, stiffened and big-braked version of the FT-86 could be on the table, to start as low as $22,000, according to a report extracted from EVO magazine. That would put the FT-86 track version right on par with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec, itself a somewhat de-contented and performance-oriented inexpensive rear-driver.
The stripper FT-86 will also be promoted by participation in pro drifting competition, according to the report. That, again, is like Hyundai's promotion for the Genesis Coupe, and perhaps indicates that Toyota is aiming to go fully heads-up against the Korean competition.
So far what we know about the FT-86 is that officially it will be a 2 + 2 coupe with rear-wheel drive, a 2.0-liter naturally aspirated flat four cylinder built in cooperation with Fuji Heavy Industries/Subaru, and a six-speed manual transmission. Power output is expected to come in somewhere around the 200 horsepower mark, though without a factory turbocharger like the Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec, the FT-86 may miss out on some aftermarket modification potential.
Sales of the FT-86's production counterpart are expected to start in late 2011 in Japan, followed within a few months in America. Pricing is expected to sit around $25,000 for a typical example.
Old 12-26-09, 12:00 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no turbo
no care
Old 12-26-09, 12:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I read about the car. Only downside is it's teeny size. At least the Genesis coupe can handle big guys. Toyota should not screw up by aiming only at boys.

Quick Reply: Toyota FT-86 to get a stripped down (affordable) competition / track edition