Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Engine Pic unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 11:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Engine Pic unveiled

As we've already heard the news about the new 5.0, I'm not sure there has been a picture of it till now. Taken from Autoblog.

I think it has a very nice design. I'm very impressed with Ford! Can't wait till the reviews and comparo's with the Camaro and Challenger kick the pony car wars up another notch!

Here's the article:

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Thanks to some embargo breaking that's already occurred, we've known for a week that the 2011 Ford Mustang GT would pack a brand new 5.0-liter V8 producing 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. We thought those tidbits might hold over the internet 'till the official embargo date lifts early next week, but we were wrong and therefore are still awake at 1:30 AM on Christmas morning writing this post. Thanks to Jalopnik via MustangHeaven via BurlappCars, we have the first images of the 2011 Mustang GT and its new 5.0-liter V8.

You can read more about some of the engine's details that have already leaked here, but let's just take a look see at what we've got. Kudos to Ford for leaving the engine's tippy top unadorned and we also dig those 5.0 badges on the engine and fenders. Nostalgia FTW – OMG! An old fat guy with a sack of stuff just crawled out of my fire place! I think he's a burglar. Gotta go hide the silver, Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-27-09 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 11:31 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gaaaahhh that's pretty hot.
Old 12-25-09, 12:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The 5.0 is back. Now if they could only design an original mustang after 8 years. This retro styling is so old....literally
Old 12-25-09, 07:31 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow Thats Beautiful.....

I wonder what what the price is going to be..

Last edited by tmf2004; 12-25-09 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-25-09, 09:09 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

And the mustang already handles pretty well.
But alas it isn't IRS..If only they released this with the CobraR IRS..It'd be one track happy roadcar.
Old 12-25-09, 02:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice underhood styling exercise.
Old 12-25-09, 02:22 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Nice underhood styling exercise.
Agreed, very nice looking and the performance should match.

From a modding standpoint, it looks difficult to put headers on though swapping throttle-bodies and putting in a CAI looks quite easy.
Old 12-25-09, 03:04 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I wonder how dual intakes would've helped the motor?
Old 12-25-09, 03:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I think the retro styling was a huge mistake, but slowly, they are making this car look more modern. The headlights are more flush and aerodynamic, the lower intake area is more contemporary, the rims are rim's you'd see on many new cars today, and the taillights and rear bumper are angular and modern. I hope this trend continues with the Mustang and it eventually ends up as a leader of future car designs instead of one three decades old.
Old 12-27-09, 07:36 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I have to agree that the retro styling is getting pretty old, but then again, the 911 still has the same overall shape and you don't hear anyone complaining about it. It's good to see that Ford is stepping it up in the engine department. Now all they have to do is modernize the suspension on that car and they'll have a good package. Hopefully they could do that while still keeping the price down......
Old 12-27-09, 08:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
I have to agree that the retro styling is getting pretty old, but then again, the 911 still has the same overall shape and you don't hear anyone complaining about it. It's good to see that Ford is stepping it up in the engine department. Now all they have to do is modernize the suspension on that car and they'll have a good package. Hopefully they could do that while still keeping the price down......
What makes the 911 work is it's always been retro. Whereas the Mustang was once on the modern side (leading), but then went backward. Now it's got to play uneccessary catch up. Ditto with the Camaro. Was once in the forefront, then took a huge step backward. Or at least that's how I see it.
Old 12-27-09, 08:46 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

Wow, that's pretty impressive... kudos to Ford.
Old 12-27-09, 10:25 PM
St00k
Driver

Nice! Ford looks to be in the right direction... just found lots more info on the car and there are plenty of engine pics too

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-liter-v8.html

It’s official: after several broken embargoes, Ford has officially released all the details on the new 2011 Mustang GT. The return of the 5.0-liter brings with it 412-hp at 6500 rpm and 390 ft-lbs of torque at 4250 rpm, a far cry from the 175-hp 302 cubic inch motor found in the 1983 model.

The new engine is an all aluminum unit with four valves per cylinder and dual overhead cams and gets Ti-VCT variable independent timing on both the intake and exhaust cams. Along with all that power, the 2011 GT model also (finally) gets a six-speed manual transmission or six-speed automatic. Not only does this allow for improved performance, but also fuel economy with Ford claiming a four to five percent increase in that department for an estimated 25 mpg on the highway and 17 mpg in the city, up from 23/17 on the current GT automatic model. Manual transmission models will get 24/16 mpg (highway/city)

Other engine highlights include a forged steel crankshaft and high-flow headers that Ford claims are what enthusiasts have always wanted.

Additional vehicle highlights include electric power steering, 11.5-inch front and 11.8-inch rear brakes, as well as a grade-assist feature that will hold the car momentarily when accelerating away from a stop on a hill. Added improvements were made to the rear lower control arms for improved stiffness and more direct handling, a stiffer rear sway bar delivers better on-center steering, while the spring and shock rates have been adjusted for optimal performance.

A Performance Package will include 14-inch Brembo front brake disks from the Shelby GT500 as well as special 19-inch wheels and high performance summer tires.
Old 07-05-10, 02:02 AM
kurtdaniel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ecr527
I have to agree that the retro styling is getting pretty old, but then again, the 911 still has the same overall shape and you don't hear anyone complaining about it. It's good to see that Ford is stepping it up in the engine department. Now all they have to do is modernize the Front Pipe on that car and they'll have a good package. Hopefully they could do that while still keeping the price down......
whatever anyone says,,im still so impress with its styling,,no one does this better than ford..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 07-05-10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 04:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LB Lex
Agreed, very nice looking and the performance should match.

From a modding standpoint, it looks difficult to put headers on though swapping throttle-bodies and putting in a CAI looks quite easy.
I see a very nice factory header in those pics. I wouldn't worry too much about aftermarket ones.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Engine Pic unveiled