Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Fiat 500 gets a new 0.9 liter motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the fiat 500 is so named because the original engines used to be 500cc (0.5L)!

500 or cinquecento as it's known there, is extremely popular. well in italy it has to be because of crushing tariffs on anything not italian.
The Fiat 500's original nickname was "Topolino" which means "Mouse" in Italian.

Old 12-26-09, 08:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Fiat 500's original nickname was "Topolino" which means "Mouse" in Italian.

aka Zastava Fico in ex-Yugoslavia... there were later cinquecento's, and were trully crap cars... btw mmarshal, Fiats are still rated at the bottom of all reliability surveys across the Europe ;-)
Old 12-26-09, 10:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Fiats are still rated at the bottom of all reliability surveys across the Europe ;-)
that's why it was a perfect marriage for them to hookup with chrysler.
Old 12-27-09, 03:07 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife got rid of her Audi A3 a year ago and has been running a little 1.2 litre FIAT 500 since then. She absolutely loves it. The 68hp engine revs very sweetly and it has plenty of zip off the line (these are Italian horses after all!) and it will happily cruise at 80mph. It's got a fabulous gear change that is only a hand's span from the wheel and it's a joy to flick between the gears. Quality is great, we've had no problems and it comes equipped with 6 airbags, CD player, mp3 input, bluetooth hands free - it even reads out text messages as you drive along. Spacewise you can seat 4 and the trunk is quite a lot bigger than the MINI's. I can't really fault it and quite often find myself borrowing it to pop into town. It also only costs £35 to tax for a year.

From what I'm hearing about the new FIAT multi-air engines they seem excellent and I'm sure the 0.9 litre one will offer even more torque and better fuel economy.
Old 12-27-09, 01:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
btw mmarshal, Fiats are still rated at the bottom of all reliability surveys across the Europe ;-)
Yes, it's too bad that they haven't been able to do what Hyundai and Kia did, who were also once at the bottom of the barrel. Yet Fiats still sell......especially in Italy.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's why it was a perfect marriage for them to hookup with chrysler.
He may have a point. Of course, when M-B hooked up with Chrysler, M-B's reliability was already on the way down after decades of being on top.
Old 12-27-09, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
My wife got rid of her Audi A3 a year ago and has been running a little 1.2 litre FIAT 500 since then. She absolutely loves it. The 68hp engine revs very sweetly and it has plenty of zip off the line (these are Italian horses after all!) and it will happily cruise at 80mph. It's got a fabulous gear change that is only a hand's span from the wheel and it's a joy to flick between the gears. Quality is great, we've had no problems and it comes equipped with 6 airbags, CD player, mp3 input, bluetooth hands free - it even reads out text messages as you drive along. Spacewise you can seat 4 and the trunk is quite a lot bigger than the MINI's. I can't really fault it and quite often find myself borrowing it to pop into town. It also only costs £35 to tax for a year.

From what I'm hearing about the new FIAT multi-air engines they seem excellent and I'm sure the 0.9 litre one will offer even more torque and better fuel economy.
Thanks. It's nice to hear from a satisfied Fiat owner, despite the brand's reputation.

Anybody else on CL own a Fiat? (We obviously have few, if any owners, here in the U.S.) If so, what is your opinion of it?
Old 12-27-09, 07:29 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Fiat was going to bring these to the U.S. within the next year or so to be sold in Chrysler dealerships??
Old 12-27-09, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecr527
I thought Fiat was going to bring these to the U.S. within the next year or so to be sold in Chrysler dealerships??
Fiat first has to decide if the cost of Federalizing their cars (safety, emissions, etc...) and the potential market they would have here in the U.S., is worth the investment in time and money. The American public, particularly those who are old enough (like me) to remember the junk they sold here 30-40 years ago, still generally takes a dim view of the brand (though Big Andy's wife, above, has a Euro-spec model and seels to like it). The plan (if it ever takes effect), as I understand it, would be to develop joint Fiat-Chrysler-designed small cars that would be designed from the start with American-market requirements in mind.....that, of course, would include the new CAFE fuel-economy standards coming up in a few years.
Old 12-27-09, 08:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought it was a done deal and that we would see Fiats on the street by 2012. I guess not. I am sure they will need to provide a few engine options for a car this small to do well with US consumers
Old 12-28-09, 03:00 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that plans are already underway to build the FIAT 500 in Mexico and import to the US. It'll be fitted with the 1.4 litre engine and a 173bhp version will be available as well.
Old 12-28-09, 05:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, it's too bad that they haven't been able to do what Hyundai and Kia did, who were also once at the bottom of the barrel. Yet Fiats still sell......especially in Italy.

He may have a point. Of course, when M-B hooked up with Chrysler, M-B's reliability was already on the way down after decades of being on top.
europeans dont care about reliability that much, looks and price is more important... fiat, renault, peugot, citroen are always at the bottom of every single survey, with all of their vehicles, yet they still sell well.