Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

burning oil in a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 05:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
well as we said already, looking at M boards, M owners advise there to check on oil every time you put gas in :-). So it is accepted as "ok", even 1st at 1000 miles is apparently "per design".

IMHO, having to check oil and add oil to 65k-75k vehicle is crazy idea.
Agreed, IMHO adding oil every 1K is not acceptable, regardless of the boilerplate crap written in the manual.

But aren't we talking about OP's oil usage of 1 quart in 6K miles on a brand new BMW?
Old 12-26-09, 05:19 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Since you asked in particular about the IS-F, neither my F or CL-S (105,000 mi) burns any noticeable oil between changes.

I will ask my cousin about his M3 next time I talk to him, but I don't recall him mentioning any oil being consumed.
Old 12-26-09, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
and various noises from the suspension that the dealer refused to acknowledge. Still an amazing ride, however, I should have leased it instead of outright bought it with cash.
What kind of suspension noises are you talking about? Thumping over bumps? Squeaks? Rattles? A rattling noise in motion or over bumps often means a strut/shock tower not bolted down enough (I've actually seen that on brand-new cars). Sometimes "suspension" noises actually originate in the steering rack, not the suspension itself (many older GM cars had that problem). And, especially wth stiffly-sprung vehicles like the M3 with low-profile tires, tire harshness over bumps can also sometimes be mistaken for suspension noise. Last, it is is normal for some cars to have suspension noises, such as with Hyundais and Kias (that's just thw way they work over bumps)....though I can't necesssarliy say that that's the case with an M3. The brand-new M3 I reviewed in the spring of 2008 did not, to my memory, have any significant suspension noises outside of some tire thump/harshness.
Old 12-26-09, 06:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

some lil consumption is normal but I am not comfortable with the fact that its at the point where the light on the dash is coming on. My worked G35 with 120 K on it used to use oil at the same rate. I would check on a BMW forum to see what other BMW drivers are getting with their 7k mile intervals
Old 12-26-09, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
some lil consumption is normal but I am not comfortable with the fact that its at the point where the light on the dash is coming on. My worked G35 with 120 K on it used to use oil at the same rate.
If your engine has 120K miles on it, try using the special high-mileage oil. If you use the same factory-recommend viscosity in an old engine as you do in a fairly new one, you are likely to get low oil pressure....and the dash light flickering on and off, especially at idle with the engine warm. That is because the worn piston rings, bearings, and valve-seals in an old engine allow some of the oil pressure to leak past the worn clearances (particularly when the engine is warm), lowering oil pressure and causing some of the oil to get used or burned up. The high-mileage oil has a higher (thicker) viscosity, a slower rate of flow, and different addititives than regular oil....this helps to lessen the rates of leaking/oil consumption, and to increase oil pressure.
Old 12-26-09, 09:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, IMHO adding oil every 1K is not acceptable, regardless of the boilerplate crap written in the manual.

But aren't we talking about OP's oil usage of 1 quart in 6K miles on a brand new BMW?
if the engine spends oil, it spends oil. It might spend 1.3l qt per 5000 miles for him, at the same time, for heavier drivers that drive their cars faster and use them in harder manner, it will spend more oil. It will also spend more oil as time goes by.

As I said before, we had situation in Europe with diesel engines - basically the engine was designed as such, and there was no malfunctioning there. Low friction engine designed for minimal fuel consumption together with low friction oil. We would take it apart, and engine that spends 3qt per 5000 miles would look like brand new inside even after 50,000 miles. Out of >250 people with similar powertrain, we had less than 10 people that complained about oil light turning blinking before their 10k service interval. It turned out to be an issue when someone drives hard, in lover gears, either on hwy or city. It was completly unacceptable, and Toyota spent a lot of money to fix the issue (some people had 3 engines replaced). 3rd revision is now not spending enough oil to turn on the oil lamp even for heaviest/sportiest/craziest of drivers for 10k miles. New engines coming out of factory are not spending any at all anymore.

So honestly, despite the experience that hurt the Toyota dealers, and the fact that it would be easier for me to say otherwise, i feel that unless you are racing your car on the track, there is no way you should be adding oil to your engine on regular basis and accepting this as normal. I call that lazy, bad, horrible design.

Just think of it in this way - would you purchase the vehicle where your car salesman tells you that you need to check your oil level and add more if needed, after every 1000 miles? I would not, even if it is Toyota/Lexus.
Old 12-26-09, 10:53 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oil consumption in new cars is typical, give it at least 10,000 miles.
Old 12-27-09, 12:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The engine's cylinders are probably out of round, quite typical for M cars.
Old 12-27-09, 02:20 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The engine's cylinders are probably out of round, quite typical for M cars.
80 grand for that? Wow, and here I thought about buying an M. I guess I'll just keep with the AMG.
Old 12-27-09, 04:59 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

When I drove an s2k and GSR they did burn a bit of oil if I was driving them in VTEC, the rear bumper would usually have oil overspray on it as well. My friends who owned white ones the bumpers would be stained yellow .
Old 12-27-09, 08:38 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

my old 996TT burn oil, about 1-1.5 quart every couple thousand miles.. it is common with Porsche..
Old 12-27-09, 08:49 AM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

I had to fill up 1Q in the past 10k on the X5 4.8
Old 12-27-09, 09:20 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xHartawann
I had to fill up 1Q in the past 10k on the X5 4.8
Really? My 4.8 did not burn any. That's why I was surprised to see this on the M3.
Old 12-27-09, 09:20 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by splitfire
my old 996TT burn oil, about 1-1.5 quart every couple thousand miles.. it is common with Porsche..
I also read about that too. GT3 is also known to drink oil like a fat girl too.
Old 12-27-09, 09:23 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
80 grand for that? Wow, and here I thought about buying an M. I guess I'll just keep with the AMG.
To be honest, I can live with filling up a qt every 6k miles if this is within the manufacturing spec. I love my M, and I guess all the high performance cars have their fair share of problems. I really don't think AMGs are any better when it comes to reliability records.

Quick Reply: burning oil in a new car?