Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

burning oil in a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 10:35 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
I also read about that too. GT3 is also known to drink oil like a fat girl too.
A buddy of mine has a GT3RS, when you start it up the garage has a cloud of smoke. Oil/unburnt fuel and being catless and all
Old 12-27-09, 12:08 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, I was driving my M3 the other day, and oil engine light came on. I have close to 7000 miles on the ODO and had my service done at 1300 mile, and next service isn't due till 10,000 mile. So, I went to the dealership and bought a qt of oil and filled it up.

I was told by the dealership that this is quite normal for these motor. I have never heard of a new engine burning oil since like 1300s. I know that there are folks on CL with other high performance machines (such as IS-F, Z06, goats with V12 bi-turbos) and was wondering if you guys have the same problems.

My M3 so far has oil burning problem, Blue tooth connection problem, and various noises from the suspension that the dealer refused to acknowledge. Still an amazing ride, however, I should have leased it instead of outright bought it with cash.

Ps. I should also mention that the car has no dipstick and the oil sensor is as accurate and reliable as the car itself.
If you are interested in a factual answer to your question about oil consumtion consult the owners manual for your car.
Old 12-28-09, 02:05 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just interested to know if this continues past 10-15k, my 03 4Runner with the 4.7L V8 burned a quart when I switched to synthetic at 10k, never burned another drop after that
Old 12-28-09, 06:22 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all the money and engineering these companies cannot come up with a way to build this car so it doesn’t eat a quart every 6k?

It often baffles me on how many of the luxury brands get away with this.
Old 12-28-09, 06:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for doing research. I have been reading the same thing too. VW motors have the same issues as well. My brakes are still ok.

I haven't filled up oil since my 1988 corolla with 1.3L motor. X5 4.8 had no issues with burning oil either.

Looks like I just have to carry an quart of oil in my trunk all the time then.
I know that Audi has a TSB out stating that 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal oil consumption. I do not agree with it of course, but the dealer will not do anything if your oil consumption is less than that.
If you go to the Audi forum, some owners are actually going thru a quart every 2000 miles or so and some Audi engines are as tight as a drum.
Old 12-28-09, 06:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
If you are interested in a factual answer to your question about oil consumtion consult the owners manual for your car.
+1!

Questions Stig. Why would you pay for a quart of oil at the dealership when the same dealership will refill fluids @ no charge to you?

Your first free scheduled annual service was @ 1300 miles & you now have close to 7k on the clock? A lot of driving for the year there my man

Your X5 had lights pop up on the dash also??? It seems like BMW is just sheer bad luck for you.. Why not trade the M3 in for a Lexus IS-F ? If I were in your shoes, I would be done with BMW.
Old 12-28-09, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
For all the money and engineering these companies cannot come up with a way to build this car so it doesn’t eat a quart every 6k?

Often, an engine can actually be using oil, but not appear to be doing so on the dipstick. That is because, in short-trip, cold-weather driving, where the engine doesn't get hot for long periods of time, the engine will actually be USING oil, but, because moisture and consensation keeps forming in the crankcase and oil pan, adding to the level on the dipstick a little, it then appears artificially full. You will notice this when taking a long trip on the highway at higher speeds. The dipstick will then show a noticeable drop, because the engine then gets hot enough to get rid of all the moisture and othe contaminents in the oil system, and then the dipstick level drops to the true oil level. This moisture build-up, BTW, is one of several reasons why oil should be changed more frequently in cooler temperatures and stop/go driving.

Of course, with Mercedes, BMW, and other brands that no longer provide a dipstick, one cannot manually verify this......the sensors (supposedly) do all the checking.
Old 12-28-09, 09:42 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I could not find any relevant information about oil consumption in the owner's manual, unless I missed something. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-28-09, 09:44 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J.P.

I was thinking the exact same thing too. It caught me by surprised.
Old 12-28-09, 09:57 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
+1!

Questions Stig. Why would you pay for a quart of oil at the dealership when the same dealership will refill fluids @ no charge to you?

Your first free scheduled annual service was @ 1300 miles & you now have close to 7k on the clock? A lot of driving for the year there my man

Your X5 had lights pop up on the dash also??? It seems like BMW is just sheer bad luck for you.. Why not trade the M3 in for a Lexus IS-F ? If I were in your shoes, I would be done with BMW.
1). I honestly had no idea they refill fluids @ no charge to me.

2) I had my 1300 mile service done a while back (probably in Jan or so), and now I have close to 7K mile. I have this car for a little over a year now and 7k is driving a lot?

3)I really like my M3. I think I may have mentioned that couple times. I do not know why you are suggesting me to trade it in for IS-F.
Old 12-28-09, 10:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

1). I honestly had no idea they refill fluids @ no charge to me.
They will refill all fluids for you with no questions asked. I had the dealer refill coolant for me on the X3 because it was below the full mark. My coolant was underfilled at delivery.

2) I had my 1300 mile service done a while back (probably in Jan or so), and now I have close to 7K mile. I have this car for a little over a year now and 7k is driving a lot?
It is imo. I only have 14k on the 3 year old X3 & 1500 miles on my 335 which is almost 5 months old. Do you have Nav in your car? If so, did you do the systems check? There are guys with 328's who complained about the oil level being low. A few guys discovered that there cars were underfilled by dealers for some odd reason.. Try the refill & see what occurs as the miles accrue.

3)I really like my M3. I think I may have mentioned that couple times. I do not know why you are suggesting me to trade it in for IS-F.
Some praise & deem the IS-F as being bullet proof at its early age. I was thinking with your experience with the X5 4.8 that you would be sick & tired of owning percieved problematic machines. It is good that you are not the follow fashion type.

The M3 is one hell of a machine. Get the refill.
Old 12-28-09, 10:26 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
They will refill all fluids for you with no questions asked. I had the dealer refill coolant for me on the X3 because it was below the full mark. My coolant was underfilled at delivery.

It is imo. I only have 14k on the 3 year old X3 & 1500 miles on my 335 which is almost 5 months old. Do you have Nav in your car? If so, did you do the systems check? There are guys with 328's who complained about the oil level being low. A few guys discovered that there cars were underfilled by dealers for some odd reason.. Try the refill & see what occurs as the miles accrue.

Some praise & deem the IS-F as being bullet proof at its early age. I was thinking with your experience with the X5 4.8 that you would be sick & tired of owning percieved problematic machines. It is good that you are not the follow fashion type.

The M3 is one hell of a machine. Get the refill.
Wow, you really don't drive much! Living in CA, 7K miles a year is nothing. I have I-drive in my car. I thought the car does system check automatically on every start up?

I still see BMWs as problematic and less reliable cars, but you can't deny the fact that they drive very well. It's a good thing that my daily driver is a Lexus, and always will.
Old 12-28-09, 10:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, you really don't drive much! Living in CA, 7K miles a year is nothing. I have I-drive in my car. I thought the car does system check automatically on every start up?
The car does the systems check but will only let you know when fluid levels are below threshold. You will have to go into the I-drive sub menu to check the oil level to check your oil level. You will have to click on the oil indicator icon to get a reading on your oil level.
3 SERIES SEDAN BELOW (Coupe will look like a coupe)

still see BMWs as problematic and less reliable cars, but you can't deny the fact that they drive very well. It's a good thing that my daily driver is a Lexus, and always will.
I am the opposite end of the spectrum from my ownership experience with both. My BMW's are my daily & have/had zero issues. I won't begin to tell you the issues with my GS400 over the years $$$. The pile of dealer service invoices which I have in a plastic holder will tell the story. At least the next owner will know the car has been properly maintained
Old 12-28-09, 10:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I know that Audi has a TSB out stating that 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal oil consumption. I do not agree with it of course, but the dealer will not do anything if your oil consumption is less than that.
If you go to the Audi forum, some owners are actually going thru a quart every 2000 miles or so and some Audi engines are as tight as a drum.
as discussed before, every manual has crazy numbers as that (including Toyotas)... and yes, as discussed before, if this happens to your toyota, and in eastern europe, rest assured they will change your engine until they manage to fix it.

and eastern european goodwill waranties are almost non existant, and there is no lemon law (so there is no forcing of the law).
Old 12-28-09, 11:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
as discussed before, every manual has crazy numbers as that (including Toyotas)... and yes, as discussed before, if this happens to your toyota, and in eastern europe, rest assured they will change your engine until they manage to fix it.

and eastern european goodwill waranties are almost non existant, and there is no lemon law (so there is no forcing of the law).
I think I would rather fill the oil every 6000 miles or just change instead of letting someone tear apart my brand new car and put in a re-manufactured engine.

Quick Reply: burning oil in a new car?