Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What si the most exciting racing to watch
Rally racing
63.64%
GT racing ( Grand am, ALMS, Rolex SCS)
27.27%
NASCAR
9.09%
I prefer power boat racing
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

What is the most exciting racing to watch????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 06:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Drag racing?
Old 12-27-09, 08:09 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rally racing....for sure.
Old 12-27-09, 08:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

watched a couple of hours of rally today and I have to say its rally for me hands down
Old 12-28-09, 01:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Races that are only confined in oval tracks (such as NASCAR, Indy 500, etc.) are only mostly meant for achieving top speed BUT since it's only confined to an oval track, then there is little-to-no technicality involved in it.

There is not much test of driver skill in cornering, braking and test of racing lines. It's just a frickin oval which IMHO doesn't require much skill.

Hence I'd pick rallying, touring car racing, F1, Asian Formula 3 or any form of motorsport THAT IS NOT CONFINED IN AN OVAL TRACK.

Just my two cents
Old 12-28-09, 07:04 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to vote for GT racing.

Rallying is cool and exciting, but I prefer to watch drivers go wheel to wheel with each other.

NASCAR has it's moments, and can get exciting at times, but can also get very monotonous. The biggest thing going for it is that it's perfect for the average TV viewer, since it's easy to keep track of what's going on on an oval.

Give me a sprint race (under 100 miles/50 laps) on a road course any day. GrandAM, MotoGP, SuperBike, Touring cars, or even F1. I don't care if it's cars or bikes (prefer bikes though), as long as there is a good pack of racers slicing and dicing through corners and fighting for every last position. Some of the best racing I have ever seen, in fact, has been SCCA club racing by guys battling for a $5 plastic trophy.

But who am I kidding, I'd watch monkeys on big-wheels going at it on a racetrack! :lol:
Old 12-28-09, 07:28 AM
wildace
Pole Position

Isle of Man TT /thread

Old 12-28-09, 08:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ALMS & British Touring Car for me.
Old 12-28-09, 09:54 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Touring, Lemans, and WRC comes to mind.
Old 12-28-09, 06:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaseman
Had to vote for GT racing.

Rallying is cool and exciting, but I prefer to watch drivers go wheel to wheel with each other.

NASCAR has it's moments, and can get exciting at times, but can also get very monotonous. The biggest thing going for it is that it's perfect for the average TV viewer, since it's easy to keep track of what's going on on an oval.

Give me a sprint race (under 100 miles/50 laps) on a road course any day. GrandAM, MotoGP, SuperBike, Touring cars, or even F1. I don't care if it's cars or bikes (prefer bikes though), as long as there is a good pack of racers slicing and dicing through corners and fighting for every last position. Some of the best racing I have ever seen, in fact, has been SCCA club racing by guys battling for a $5 plastic trophy.

But who am I kidding, I'd watch monkeys on big-wheels going at it on a racetrack! :lol:
Although I am fan of GT racing as well you have to admit the passing is where it gets good. usually its just follow the leader at high speed. F1 is the worst for that

looks like rally has it hands down
Old 12-28-09, 08:21 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

TV viewing is one thing, being there is something else, nothing is close to NHRA Drag Racing, it can't be described you just have to go, and for those who think Nascar is boring check out a race at Daytona or Talledega and watch 43 stock cars run 180+ through turns and nearly 200 on straightaways while being within a foot or so of each other, if still bored you just don't like racing.
Old 12-28-09, 10:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Races that are only confined in oval tracks (such as NASCAR, Indy 500, etc.) are only mostly meant for achieving top speed BUT since it's only confined to an oval track, then there is little-to-no technicality involved in it.

There is not much test of driver skill in cornering, braking and test of racing lines. It's just a frickin oval which IMHO doesn't require much skill.

Hence I'd pick rallying, touring car racing, F1, Asian Formula 3 or any form of motorsport THAT IS NOT CONFINED IN AN OVAL TRACK.

Just my two cents
I'd love to see you attempt to do what NASCAR drivers do. "Just a fricken oval which IMHO doesn't require much skill" and yet Juan Pablo Montoya still can't beat these guys, nor can Scott Speed. This is exactly why I find all the snobbishness in racing a joke. There's no one on this site who could even think about keeping up with Jimmie Johnson or Tony Stewart in any four wheeled vehicle. They don't get paid millions because they only know how to turn left. There are thousands of guys racing domestics on dirt tracks every weekend of the summer with more car control skills than the best in drifting because they're actually RACING, not just getting the car sideways for style points.

I've watched and participated in all kinds of racing. I don't really have a favorite, but I do make time to watch F1. Most racing these days is pretty boring because a couple of teams figure out how to get around the track faster than every one else so their drivers go run away off the front and hide from everyone. F1 has been like this for years. A close finish in F1 is rare. NASCAR Cup cars have a lot more position changes and it's less common for one team to run off the front and hide from everyone else, but there's definitely a group who tend to run at the front.

Bike racing can be very exciting and it can be very boring. Matt Mladin just about guarantees everyone else is racing for second place in AMA Superbike. Same is true with Rossi in MotoGP. Both still have their moments though. Having turned a wheel in competition on bikes, I have a personal appreciation for what it take to go fast on two wheels, but no one in the stands has anywhere near as much fun as the guys on track. Even if you're dead last, it beats the snot out of sitting in the stands or wrenching in the pits.
Old 12-28-09, 10:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

He didnt say that he could do what the NASCAR drivers are doing. I think what many of us dislike about NASCAR is the FACT that they are merely making left turns. High speed or not its still just left turns. F1 and GT1 cars will get to about NASCAR speeds on some tracks ( mulsanne straight) but the tracks involve left AND right turns as well as braking, corner entry, and corner exit. NASCAR drivers are talented but I think it requires more "driving talent" to run in an F1, GT, or Rally race imho. Not meaning to disrespect NASCAR. I am actually thinking about watching it for a change and trying to learn more about it. I have a staff of 9 and I would say at least 5 are NASCAR addicted and have even asked for time off to go see the races. There has to be something special there. I just dont see it yet
Old 12-28-09, 10:41 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Juan Pablo Montoya and Scott Speed haven't had the time yet in NASCAR for us yet to truly measure their talent against the sports elite. In fact JPM is already proven to me, it's just that he hasn't "officially" gotten his oval win, in fact i'd bet it may just happen next season. As for Scott Speed, well he is a rookie after all so that along with his car and team remains to be seen.

On the flip side, I'm still waiting on someone from the stock car / oval scene to try a hand at F1 and be successful. Maybe Kyle Busch will be brave enough to try it out for a couple seasons. Obviously i'm an F1 fanatic but i do watch all kinds of racing even NASCAR, hell i've probably watched more NASCAR this year than anything else but being in the US this is inevitable for a race fan. At times it can get monotonous but it does have it's moments. What i enjoyed the most was the All Star Race, basically a 100 lap sprint out. Now that was exciting to watch.

Back on topic, of the poll choices, i picked Rally hands down but seeing NHRA live is really something to behold.

Anything 2 wheels is actually the best racing out there right now IMO. MotoGP and World SuperBike is the **** AMA superbikes is a great US series. The Isle of Man TT was and is always breathtaking to me. Those guys are truly awesome. Hell even Rossi hinted he wouldn't fathom racing the TT.
Old 12-28-09, 10:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by MelF1fan
...The Isle of Man TT was and is always breathtaking to me. Those guys are truly awesome. Hell even Rossi hinted he wouldn't fathom racing the TT.
TT guys are truly a breed apart. They're fearless, or incredibly talented at not showing fear. IOM TT is probably the most dangerous racing on the planet. But at least you get to wear full leathers. When I raced bicycles, I lost a lot of skin a couple of times because you can't protect yourself very well.