Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study suggests women don't park as well as men do(+Chinese Woman-Only Parking spaces

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

In my state (VA) one has pass a parallel-parking test (among other road tests) in order to get a drivers' license.
Old 12-27-09, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

@+@ why would people spend time and money to do these "research"...
Old 12-27-09, 10:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
They also just completed another study saying that the Sun is hotter than the Earth.

So they finally disproved Al Gore's findings?

Old 12-27-09, 11:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Bottom line is men do somethings things better than women and women do somethings better than men. We will throw the parking ability into the men do it better category
Old 12-28-09, 06:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Men have a better space perception than woman, thats why they are better drivers.
Old 12-28-09, 07:49 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts...and I berate my wife constantly about it...is when she parks the car, she doesn't leave the front wheels straight!!!

So, I get in the car, start it up, put it in reverse, let off the brake...and the car goes twisting in some random direction!!!

I was taught to finish parking with the wheels straight.

And, that excuse about women having more things on their mind...complete and utter BS. If you've got so much on your mind that you can't make spacial awareness your #1 priority while behind the wheel of a moving car...you're not allowed to drive!!!

My mother was hit head-on on a twisty country road several years ago by a woman who veered left-of-center because she was distracted by her special-needs kid in the back seat.

Fortunately, airbags went off all around and everyone walked away (both cars totaled...lots of bruises all around). But, they were lucky.
Old 12-28-09, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
One thing that drives me absolutely nuts...and I berate my wife constantly about it...is when she parks the car, she doesn't leave the front wheels straight!!!

So, I get in the car, start it up, put it in reverse, let off the brake...and the car goes twisting in some random direction!!!

And, that excuse about women having more things on their mind...complete and utter BS. If you've got so much on your mind that you can't make spacial awareness your #1 priority while behind the wheel of a moving car...you're not allowed to drive!!!

My mother was hit head-on on a twisty country road several years ago by a woman who veered left-of-center because she was distracted by her special-needs kid in the back seat.

Fortunately, airbags went off all around and everyone walked away (both cars totaled...lots of bruises all around). But, they were lucky.
hehehe unless when you are on inclined j/k

but yes, i am glad my wife is trained to straighten out the wheels when parked.
Old 12-28-09, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious

Depends on where you are. It has been taught in driving schools from Day One that on a downhill slope, you leave the wheels turned towards the curb in case the emergancy brake or the transmission's parking prowl fails. On an uphill slope, it is the opposite......wheels pointing away from the curb.

Respectfully, it is not B.S. Nor is it intended to be a female stereotype. Many women (and yes, some men, too) are often in a rush when parking, especially diring busy shopping seasons, and end up taking shortcuts.

my mother was hit head-on on a twisty country road several years ago by a woman who veered left-of-center because she was distracted by her special-needs kid in the back seat.

I'm glad your mother (or anyone else) was not seriously hurt. but that just proves what I was saying......and that multi-tasking distractions are not limited to parking. Cell-phone-use accidents, of course, prove that.
Old 12-28-09, 09:23 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a ridiculous study, waste of time and money. Surprised they didn't relate it to global warming !!
Old 12-28-09, 09:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Parking lot offers women drivers bigger-than-normal spaces ...

Chinese car park makes space for women only Module body

Mon Dec 28, 9:21 AM

BEIJING (AFP) - A shopping centre in China has opened a car park that offers women drivers bigger-than-normal parking spaces to accommodate what it sees as their special needs.

**** Zheng, an official at the Wanxiang Tiancheng shopping centre in Hebei province's Shijiazhuang city, told AFP Monday the women-only parking lot aimed to address women's "strong sense of colour and different sense of distance."

The spaces are "one metre wider than normal parking spaces," **** said, adding that the mall had "installed signs and security monitoring equipment that corresponded more to women's needs."

Driving in China is notoriously dangerous, with nearly 73,500 people killed in road accidents last year, or just over 200 fatalities per day, according to police statistics.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/09122..._women_offbeat

Old 12-28-09, 09:54 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree. What a waste of money for this study (hmmm, smiley icon is disabled??)

Old 12-28-09, 11:22 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I think the problem is some women are totally careless when it comes to driving; and those end up on youtube even though they are a tiny percentage.
I park in a very tight area under my building where it takes me over 3 mins of going back and forth to be able to back in. This is because there is a car parked opposite of me that is less than a car length from my spot. I am also between two pillars, which give me about 20cm of space on each side. Thankfully, I have never hit anything so far.
There is an older Chinese woman that parks her X3 in the parking spot next to me and it is in mint condition even though she has the exact same type of spot and space issues. So she definitely doesn't fit into the Asian female driver stereotype.

That being said, I was waiting for someone at a mall (parked at the very back) and some ~20 year old Asian girl comes mere cm's from creating a huge car length gash on my car. She ended up parking so close that I knew she would hit my door, but thankfully didn't when she saw me inside. Keep in mind there were tons of spots empty around me and yet she decided to park cm's from me. Why she couldn't move once she saw that she was so close is beyond me
Old 12-28-09, 11:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Where in the article did they mention Chinese woman only parking spaces?
Old 12-28-09, 01:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

The spaces are "one metre wider than normal parking spaces,"
seriously?
Old 12-28-09, 01:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In my state (VA) one has pass a parallel-parking test (among other road tests) in order to get a drivers' license.
that does not mean they can park well.

Quick Reply: Study suggests women don't park as well as men do(+Chinese Woman-Only Parking spaces