Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda HSV Race Car Spied at Suzuka

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 09:07 PM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda HSV Race Car Spied at Suzuka

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ith-video.html

Honda’s race-only replacement for the NSX has now been spied undergoing testing at Japan’s famous Suzuka track. Called the HSV-010 (HSV standing for Honda Sports Velocity), the car is powered by a 3.4-liter V8 engine that makes roughly 500-hp. The car will race in the GT500 class, where all cars are limited to around 500-hp.

We have to say, even in purpose-built race car style the HSV is still a looker and we really wish Honda had plans to bring this car to the streets. Still, the official word from Honda continues to be that this is race-only version. Pity…

Four teams are expected to run the new HSV models in the 2010 Super GT season, with the numbers 8, 18, 32 and 100, with the first race being at Suzuka on May 20-21.
Old 12-27-09, 11:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its a good looking car. At least if this ever comes to market it wont cost 400K. The Honda engineers arent as high as the team at Lexus . 400k for a car from a company who has no experience making cars like this???? 400k for a sports car with an FR layout???? I would think at least they would go mid engine layout. At least that way they could have made it look like it costs 400k. Its not ugly by any extent of the imagination, but it doesnt even look like a 200k car. Luckily Lexus will only have to move 500.

I know Honda was a bit crazy back in the day with the NSX pricing, but at least the NSX was in the neighborhood of a 911 turbo. 400k
Old 12-27-09, 11:19 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat car (though from the press release, it's only for motor racing and not for production?).

Anyways, I am surprised though when they mentioned 3.4 liter V8 engine. If I remember, most eight cylinder engines usually start at 4000cc territory. So IMHO, to see an eight-cylinder with anything below 4000cc (specially 3400cc) is something new to me.

Just my two cents here
Old 12-28-09, 12:14 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Now this looks like a proper race car, everything about it screams get out of my way or you'll be eaten alive.

And let's just stick to the topic please, we don't need to start yet ANOTHER debate on what the LFA should cost. Lexus priced it where they believed it should be priced and people still want it, end of story.
Old 12-28-09, 05:19 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

lolol, this is a race car, designed for the track guys.

Not to be driven in the street. So cost would be lower in some area's.

You guy seen those rally cars? Those cost (or used to) upwards of 600k, and look how ugly they are

Well not ugly to me, but to some people

Last edited by t0e; 12-28-09 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 05:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its a good looking car. At least if this ever comes to market it wont cost 400K. The Honda engineers arent as high as the team at Lexus . 400k for a car from a company who has no experience making cars like this???? 400k for a sports car with an FR layout???? I would think at least they would go mid engine layout. At least that way they could have made it look like it costs 400k. Its not ugly by any extent of the imagination, but it doesnt even look like a 200k car. Luckily Lexus will only have to move 500.

I know Honda was a bit crazy back in the day with the NSX pricing, but at least the NSX was in the neighborhood of a 911 turbo. 400k
So let me get this right? Its BETTER for Honda to price the NSX like a 911 turbo where it sold like crap after the first couple of years? Then you cheer a car not sold against a car that actually made production? You do realize if the NSX was to be produced it was ALSO going to be front engine and have a less involving AWD system, not mid engine/RWD. There is no right way, there is the way the engineers decide to design it.

The NSX and LFA are so far apart its not even funny, thus one cost 60k back in 1990 and 90k in 2003 and the OTHER costs 400k. Yes they are both sports cars but that is about all they share. The Carbon Fiber in the LFA, the V-10, the ceramic brakes, the engine sound, the interior...its not close. This is not meant as disrespect to the NSX, everyone knows I completely HEART that vehicle.

Again, its funny to mention that Lexus hasn't made a car like this before and well BMW has not either or Audi. As a matter of fact Lamborghini started out the same way, a man that made tractors who got pissed and made his first supercar. Horcio Pagani is the same and people are in line to buy his $600,000 Zonda. Lee Noble.... The CXX, etc etc.

So EVERYONE starts somewhere. You don't just wake up in the morning and have decades of history behind you.

Old 12-28-09, 06:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not sure why Honda waste all those money on investing in a racing prototypes when they have no intention on converting it into a production model. Its just one of many mis-direction from the Honda CEO. If Obama had a say in Honda, the Honda CEO would be gone a long time ago
Old 12-28-09, 12:03 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does this have to do with the LFA?

First of all, name any v10, carbon fiber chassis, 200+mph, limited production run car that you can buy for $375k?

That's right 0.

Secondly, we don't know how much this new "NSX" would have cost, because as of right now, IT IS NOT GOING INTO PRODUCTION.

Who's to say it wouldn't have cost more than $150, or even $250k? Forget all their enviro talk, perhaps the KNEW they couldn't sell a car at that price

ugh....
Old 12-28-09, 03:48 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

hopefully it wins alot of races so then maybe it'll make into production.
Old 12-28-09, 08:15 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The window sticker on my previous 92 was about $65K. That wasn't too bad at all. After the initial $100K prices for the first 91 models to hit the states, the prices were actually closer to MSRP.
Old 01-22-10, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default New Honda race cars warming up on the track. Amazing sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZFWp...layer_embedded
Old 01-22-10, 01:30 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice soundtrack! thank you for sharing.
Old 01-22-10, 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sounds awesome!
Old 01-23-10, 06:16 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

What is the logic behind not making production models of this beautiful car when they sell those abomination of cars in Acura.
Old 01-23-10, 05:42 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

sounds great

but if you go to 4:20, ull see the HSV breaking down
haha

im guessing honda is taking a page from what lexus did with the LFA
doing some races to test out durability and driving experience before finalizing the production design

Quick Reply: Honda HSV Race Car Spied at Suzuka