Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ontario motorists charged for using cellphones, despite grace period.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 08:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Raising the fine is one thing. Raising the enforcement rate is quite another....there's no fines collected without effective enforcement.
I agree, but in order for any law to work, they have to go together. The goverment can use a portion of that fine to raise the enforcement rate.
Old 12-30-09, 08:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next we can talk about raising a big fat tax on that dangerous cell phone.
Old 12-30-09, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Next we can talk about raising a big fat tax on that dangerous cell phone.
You're probably already paying various Federal/State/Local taxes, charges, and fees on it.....check the list on your monthly bill/statement.
Old 12-30-09, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Raising the fine is one thing. Raising the enforcement rate is quite another....there's no fines collected without effective enforcement.
once the fine is high enough, law enforcement will start to love enforcing that. greed comes into play, always. why do you think highway patrols look for cars that are over 15mph from speed limit? that's coz' that's in the next fine bracket (here in ca) and it's more money. simple as that

if fine for holding cell phone is like 1000 bucks every time, and when state budget is tight? i can already tell you what's going to happen
Old 12-30-09, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
once the fine is high enough, law enforcement will start to love enforcing that. greed comes into play, always. why do you think highway patrols look for cars that are over 15mph from speed limit? that's coz' that's in the next fine bracket (here in ca) and it's more money. simple as that
It's not just fine brackets. That's not the only reason. Once you get more than 10-15 MPH over the limit, the conviction rate in traffic court becomes easier for cops and prosecutors, because there are fewer excuses/alibis for speeding such as speedometer error, low readings from oversized wheels/tires, momentary distractions, poorly-designed instrument readouts, etc....
Old 12-30-09, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

It's not just fine brackets. That's not the only reason. Once you get more than 10-15 MPH over the limit, the conviction rate in traffic court becomes easier for cops and prosecutors, because there are fewer excuses/alibis for speeding such as speedometer error, low readings from oversized wheels/tires, momentary distractions, poorly-designed instrument readouts, etc....
there are other reasons, but believe me, fine is the primary, especially when a chp admitted that to me "if i am going to pull over someone for speeding anyway, why not pull over one that can get more money? sometimes i will even wait to get those who are 30mph over"
Old 12-30-09, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
there are other reasons, but believe me, fine is the primary, especially when a chp admitted that to me "if i am going to pull over someone for speeding anyway, why not pull over one that can get more money? sometimes i will even wait to get those who are 30mph over"
30 MPH over the limit (may) carrry a reckless-driving charge as well (here in VA it is 20 MPH over).

Back on topic (cell phones), that brings up an interesting idea. Fines for cell-phone use whie driving may not deter a lot of people, but (maybe) points on one's license and a reckless-driving charge for driving while distracted will. Perhaps that (might) be overdoing it, but it would surely open some eyes.
Old 12-30-09, 10:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably already paying various Federal/State/Local taxes, charges, and fees on it.....check the list on your monthly bill/statement.
Yes I have looked at the fine print, but some of those charges are fake taxes (cell phone companies are known for this practice) they are actually just fees to generate additional revenue. There are no big fat taxes (yet), but I did mention that might be the next step once the phones are deemed as "dangerous", like a sin tax on booze, ciggies..
Old 12-30-09, 10:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

A cop can sit on the side of any highway and pull over poeple all day long, he or she probably couldnt write tickets fast enough. They have to pick and choose who they pull over.