Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ontario motorists charged for using cellphones, despite grace period.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 04:11 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Ontario motorists charged for using cellphones, despite grace period.

Motorists charged for using cellphones, despite grace period

CBC News

The Ontario Provincial Police have laid about 50 charges in the past two months under Ontario's new law against driving while using a cellphone, despite a grace period before the ban comes into full force on Feb. 1.

While the grace period is designed to get drivers used to the idea that they can't drive and talk on their cellphones, OPP Sgt. Pierre Chamberland said his force laid charges in cases where motorists were being reckless.

In addition, police have issued more than 2,400 warnings across the province.

"People should be advised that they can be charged under this legislation, even though we are still in an educational time frame right now under the law," warned Chamberland.

Ontario drivers can be fined as much as $500 for using hand-held devices to talk, text or email while behind the wheel, or using portable video games or DVD players.

There are no demerit points attached to the offence, but drivers who place others at risk by using one of the banned devices can also be charged under the existing careless driving laws.

They could face fines of up to $1,000, six demerit points, a driver's license suspension and even jail time.

The provincial Ministry of Transportation says the ban is needed because driver distraction is a factor in 20 per cent of all accidents.

In Ottawa, where city police have issued more than 200 warnings, a police spokesman said motorists have not changed their behaviour.

"I noticed a decrease initially," said Sgt. Marc Benson. "But since then, people seem to be picking up their cellphones and talking while driving again."
Lexus may have seen this coming. Drivers viewing DVDs or accessing "unlocked" Navigation systems while in motion could theoretically be charged with an offense in this jurisdiction, and things could get worse. Could an officer conceivably consider any input on the touch screen equivalent to texting on a cell phone?

Last edited by Johnny; 12-28-09 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 05:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Lexus may have seen this coming. Drivers viewing DVDs or accessing "unlocked" Navigation systems while in motion could theoretically be charged with an offense in this jurisdiction, and things could get worse. Could an officer conceivably consider any input on the touch screen equivalent to texting on a cell phone?
dvd video in front when driving is always illegal, at least here in cali. i have known a few people who got ticketed

but if there is override and you use it to enter the phone book, i doubt they can or will do anything. it's nothing different from radio controls, not to mention if you are driving bmw you can almost play games on the screen
Old 12-28-09, 05:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I doubt that the police will catch many 1 second nav screen taps. Its the lame and dangerous drivers who spend time on the phone or text while driving. Get bluetooth people
Old 12-28-09, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The law, while admittedly difficult to enforce, just might (?) work in Canada, where there are far fewer drivers and vehicles than the hundreds of millions you find in the U.S., and the police just might have a fighting chance. Here, in the U.S., we have laws like that on the books in a number of states, but they are a joke.....they are simply unenforceable. Trying to stop people from multi-tasking while driving is like trying to stop the sun from coming up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-09 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

eventually the devices will either just 'not work' or will snitch on the users, relieving the police of the work.
Old 12-28-09, 11:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The law, while admittedly difficult to enforce, just might (?) work in Canada, where there are far fewer drivers and vehicles than the hundereds of millions you find in the U.S., and the police just might have a fighting chance. Here, in the U.S., we have laws like that on the books in a number of states, but they are a joke.....they are simply unenforceable. Trying to stop people from multi-tasking while driving is like trying to stop the sun from coming up.
The law will work if it is enforced....It is a law that is no different than not wearing your seatbelts, you have to catch them in the act and you can't use a radar or any like that.. The police in my area love to stand out on the roadway as you enter highway on ramps and catch people without their seatbelts, the same thing will apply for phones. The police will find a way if they want to enforce it.
Old 12-28-09, 11:59 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I doubt that the police will catch many 1 second nav screen taps. Its the lame and dangerous drivers who spend time on the phone or text while driving. Get bluetooth people
Navigation systems are exempt as long as they are fixed to the dash or windshield.
Old 12-29-09, 05:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Like many other traffic law, the police is going to use this as a revenue generator.
Old 12-29-09, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The law will work if it is enforced....It is a law that is no different than not wearing your seatbelts, you have to catch them in the act and you can't use a radar or any like that.. The police in my area love to stand out on the roadway as you enter highway on ramps and catch people without their seatbelts, the same thing will apply for phones. The police will find a way if they want to enforce it.
That's why I said, in my previous post, that it MIGHT work reasonably well in Canada, where there are far fewer drivers and vehicles to police. But in the U.S.....forget it. You might as well stand on the railroad tracks and try to stop a runaway freight train. Sure, a few drivers will be caught here and there, but it will not work in any significant numbers....any more than the national 55-MPH speed limit worked during the 70s and 80s, or Prohibition worked in the 1930's.
Old 12-29-09, 10:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's why I said, in my previous post, that it MIGHT work reasonably well in Canada, where there are far fewer drivers and vehicles to police. But in the U.S.....forget it. You might as well stand on the railroad tracks and try to stop a runaway freight train. Sure, a few drivers will be caught here and there, but it will not work in any significant numbers....any more than the national 55-MPH speed limit worked during the 70s and 80s, or Prohibition worked in the 1930's.
I am not sure I agree with that. If the fines are $500 for the 1st offense, $1000 for 2nd and so on and the cops are commited to set some examples, it will make most people think twice before driving and using cell.
Old 12-29-09, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not sure I agree with that. If the fines are $500 for the 1st offense, $1000 for 2nd and so on and the cops are commited to set some examples, it will make most people think twice before driving and using cell.
I understand your point, but no matter where they set the fines, the chances of getting caught (in the U.S.) are slim at best. They are probably better in Canada, where the police have much fewer cars and drivers to watch for.

Like it or not, in America, many drivers simply do whatever they can get away with. That includes speeding, not stopping (or even slowing down) for a right-turn-on-red, running red lights (where you don't have cameras), not signaling for turns or lane-changes, driving DUI/DWI, illigitimately parking in handicapped spaces, and many other infractions. Cell-phone use, if anything, is even MORE widespread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-09 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 10:06 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Canadians have a somewhat greater respect (fear) of authorities and the laws they enact.

Comes from our engendered British heritage, Oi say!
Old 12-29-09, 11:47 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

so i guess i can use my iPod and im good?
Old 12-30-09, 05:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Just think, if they raise the fine high enough, they will not need to raise our taxes
Old 12-30-09, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just think, if they raise the fine high enough, they will not need to raise our taxes
Raising the fine is one thing. Raising the enforcement rate is quite another....there's no fines collected without effective enforcement.

Quick Reply: Ontario motorists charged for using cellphones, despite grace period.