Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford needs to reconsider on the Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 01:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As interesting as this car is, IMO I think Ford is currently making the right business decision for the US market.
Old 12-29-09, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So far the majority of opinons and responses here seem to be against Ford bringing it over here...or that it would not be a sound buisness decision. It's good to get people's opinions (and I expected some when I opened the thread). I respect those opposing views. I just feel that, although I'm not a big pocket-rocket fan, the number available here in the U.S. may be dwindling in the next few years, for the reasons I stated earlier. It's always nice to have choices available for those who DO like them, and drive them.

Perhaps, though, as some posters have hinted, there is a reason why Ford is holding off on bringing over the high-powered version with the others. The new, Euro-version Focus has not (yet) been introduced to the American public (it will shortly arrive in 2010), so maybe Ford felt it too risky to bring them all over at once. Maybe the initial marketing strategy is to walk first (and see if the public will warm up to base versions)......before committing to high-zoot versions. Subaru, however, found just the opposite........interest in its Impreza models didn't really take off until the WRX model arrived in 2002.
Old 12-29-09, 07:09 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
the Cobalt SS, though quick, is raw and unrefined (and may not be around much longer), Mitsubishi's future in the American market, with its Ralliart and Evo, is questionable, and, as it stands now, there might soon be little more than the Subaru WRX/STI left to compete with the Focus RS if it did come here....depending on what Mazda does with the MazdaSpeed3.
sources? links? srt4/c30/mini cooper/gti also come to mind....suzuki may be entering the segment soon, toyobaru releasing a rwd coupe

cobalt received high praise for its handling as i recall, and mitsu has recently avowed it is commited to NA market

that being said, i'd welcome the rs with open arms, and challenge its drivers every rainy day
Old 12-30-09, 04:36 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Ford (apparantly) did a good job getting torque steer out of it.....at least the amount you would normally fear on a FWD car that size with that kind of torque.
I'm sure Ford has done what most manufacturers have done, and that is to electronically limit HP/torque in the lower gears. 300+ HP in a small, FWD hatch, is a hazard. It's an accident waiting to happen. The HP must be limited in order to make the power manageable through the front wheels. It's a lame way to go if you ask me. I've repeatedly said that if your going to build a high HP/torque car, make it RWD/AWD or just don't make it.
Old 12-30-09, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville
sources? links?
I'm describing my own impression of the Cobalt SS after I reviewed and test-drove it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...cobalt-ss.html

cobalt received high praise for its handling as i recall
I agree....see the review above.

and mitsu has recently avowed it is commited to NA market
Auto execs will tell you anything. How credible it is is quite another matter.

That being said, i'd welcome the rs with open arms, and challenge its drivers every rainy day
I'm not sure I'd buy one (it's a little too hard-edged for my tastes) but, unlike the majority of those who have posted, I, like you, am of the opinion that there's a potential decent market for it here.
Old 12-30-09, 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I'm sure Ford has done what most manufacturers have done, and that is to electronically limit HP/torque in the lower gears. 300+ HP in a small, FWD hatch, is a hazard. It's an accident waiting to happen. The HP must be limited in order to make the power manageable through the front wheels. It's a lame way to go if you ask me. I've repeatedly said that if your going to build a high HP/torque car, make it RWD/AWD or just don't make it.
Yes, Mazda has done more or less the same thing with the MazdaSpeed3 (limit the torque in the lower gears) but I'm not sure if that can be considered standard engineering practice in the pocket-rocket buisness.

Small cars, even pocket-rockets, usually have FWD because of space-efficiency reasons.....a transverse engine up front helps a lot. The Subaru WRX/STi and Mitsubishi Evo/Ralliart, of course, are exceptions, with AWD, because they are expressly-designed for rally conditions. With Subaru, the AWD is easy because of the flat-four engine design; with Mitsubishi, it is somewhat harder because of the transverse engines.
Old 12-30-09, 08:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I dont think that only limited number of vehicles would compete with Focus RS... every car in price range would compete with it.

If i was going to spend around 30k-35k for Focus RS, i would look to coupes and even sport sedans for the price... not just hatchbacks.

So it would be competing with 370z, Mustangs, Camaros, Genesis Coupe, not just Evo's and WRX's.... And it would be only econocar with FWD and 300hp in the comparo. You can dress it up all you want, at the end, 70% of parts are going to be shared with $16k Focus.
Old 12-30-09, 08:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

When you ask the average American what is a Ford Focus, they think of a small economical car. The Euro market is certain different from the US. Ford is not the only one who is numbing down their lineup for the US market. A lot of Euro car makers are starting to do the same. Most American car buyers are looking for relaibility and they are willing to give up some performance and technology. Most US car buyers also like a highway cruiser as oppose to a stiff suspension. The pocket rocket market in the US is much smaller than the economical small car market, I really dont think a $35000 Ford Focus will sell well here in the US.
Old 12-30-09, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf

So it would be competing with 370z, Mustangs, Camaros, Genesis Coupe, not just Evo's and WRX's.... And it would be only econocar with FWD and 300hp in the comparo. You can dress it up all you want, at the end, 70% of parts are going to be shared with $16k Focus.
Since the RS is a FWD product, I'm not sure its potential competition to the RWD sports/pony cars you mention is that strong.
Old 12-30-09, 08:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Since the RS is a FWD product, I'm not sure its potential competition to the RWD sports/pony cars you mention is that strong.
thats exactly it.... why would you get 300hp FWD, istead of RWD or AWD cars? For same money too.
Old 12-30-09, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

thats exactly it.... why would you get 300hp FWD, istead of RWD or AWD cars? For same money too.
The RS, as I see it, appeals to a different market than those buying 370Zs. Mustangs and Camaros. Of course, I understand your point as well, and yes, I could be wrong. That's why I opened the thread...to get some good discussion on it.
Old 12-30-09, 09:58 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can easily see a good market for the RS. Will it be a true, sales success on it's own? Maybe not, but it also doesn't need to be. It just needs to be a flagship/specialty version for the whole Focus line-up. Something to stir-up excitement.

Ford could lose money on every RS sold, as long as the overall Focus range can absorb, and make up for it. I don't have numbers or hard facts, but I suspect that the SRT Neon, R32 Gulf, or even the SVT Focus didn't sell enough volume to stand alone. But what the did do, is generate excitement to their platforms, and show the public what could be done with a small vehicle. Very similar to the old adage of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday".

If Ford brings it over, and it performs well, autocrossers, weekend rallyers, track-day rats, and tuners will flock to it. The youth market and enthusiasts won't be able to get enough of them.

Anyone remember when the SVT Focus came out? Special model, yes. Overpriced for a Focus, sure. Hard-edged, no doubt. But you couldn't get your hands on one without selling your soul. The RS could easily develop that same cult status that the SVT first did. Leave it as a low volume specialty vehicle, and it will do well, if you ask me.
Old 12-30-09, 11:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The RS, as I see it, appeals to a different market than those buying 370Zs. Mustangs and Camaros. Of course, I understand your point as well, and yes, I could be wrong. That's why I opened the thread...to get some good discussion on it.
jaseman, SVT division was losing money on every vehicle sold, thats why they disbandoned it...
Old 12-30-09, 12:30 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaseman, SVT division was losing money on every vehicle sold, thats why they disbandoned it...
I have no doubts about that. In general, most specialty packages don't usually make money.

Chevy will lose out on every Volt they make for the first few years, but the technology will eventually improve and trickle down (hopefully) to other platforms. Lexus won't make profits off of the LF-A, but will use it as a marketing tool for Toyota/Lexus to say that they can be a player in the supercar/GT category.

Even if Ford loses on every RS it sells in the U.S. (if they bring it) the loss will be more than absorbed by profits across the rest of the Focus line-up. You don't necessarily need to make money on the actual car itself, if it's used as a marketing tool to bring more people into the showroom. Performance sells cars, even if the base customer isn't buying the performance package.

It only takes a few RS's out on the street to stir up a lot of interest across the whole Focus line.
Old 12-30-09, 12:36 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I think the better thing for them to do, is to bring the Focus ST first with the rest of the lineup, and probably gauge the market for a small but dedicated demographic that will indeed purchase the RS.

As much as I'd love to see the RS out and about here in the states, I don't want it to make a quick peek and then disappear altogether due to inadequate sales.