Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford needs to reconsider on the Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Ford needs to reconsider on the Focus RS

Although most of the attention in the Ford small-car arena lately has been, of course, on the upcoming Fiesta, we are also (finally) getting the Euro-market Focus here next year as well. Which, IMO, makes sense, as Ford, for years, has essentially sold two different Focus models....a rather sporty and responsive model overseas, and a much different, rather dull, mediocre version here with sluggish road manners, an unimpressive interior, and indifferent fit/finish.

Of course, it will be nice to get a better-engineered, more refined Focus next year, but Ford planners, at least for now, have axed the prospects of the turbo, Focus RS version coming over here with its 305 HP and 325 ft-lbs. of torque. I'm not a speed freak by any means, nor would it be a car I would probably buy, but I honestly think Ford should reconsider, even if it has to spend some money to certify it to EPA/DOT standards. Why? Well, VW dropped the R32; the Cobalt SS, though quick, is raw and unrefined (and may not be around much longer), Mitsubishi's future in the American market, with its Ralliart and Evo, is questionable, and, as it stands now, there might soon be little more than the Subaru WRX/STI left to compete with the Focus RS if it did come here....depending on what Mazda does with the MazdaSpeed3. In other words, I think there's probably a decent potential market for the RS here. The RS lacks the AWD of the Subarus and Mitsubishis, but, according to reviews, the limited-slip front differential and drivetrain engineering make it perform almost as well as an AWD version would anyway. Ford (apparantly) did a good job getting torque steer out of it.....at least the amount you would normally fear on a FWD car that size with that kind of torque.

Looks like there's an Internet petition for it, too:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/focusrscostworth/

BTW, the RS, IMO, also looks great in the bright green color of the review shots.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 08:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Focus RS would be 30-35k vehicle based on European prices.
Old 12-28-09, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
You can easily pay that much now for a loaded Subaru WRX.....38-40K (or more) for an STi or Evo. 30-35K (in American dollars) would probably be reasonable for this car, though, of course, you would have the inevitable dealer mark-ups and price-gouging.
Old 12-28-09, 09:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You can easily pay that much now for a loaded Subaru WRX.....38-40K (or more) for an STi or Evo. 30-35K (in American dollars) would probably be reasonable for this car, though, of course, you would have the inevitable dealer mark-ups and price-gouging.
well yeah but WRX is one class above vehicle... Getting americans to pay more for FWD Focus than WRX or 370z or IS350 is not going to fly.
Old 12-28-09, 09:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well yeah but wrx is one class above vehicle... Getting americans to pay more for fwd focus than wrx or 370z or is350 is not going to fly.
+1...........
Old 12-28-09, 09:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree. You can spend the same money and get better handling and better looks for the money. Its kind of like the SRT4. There are other ways to go fast without looking like a kid
Old 12-28-09, 11:10 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sense that it might cannibalize sales of the Mustang GT. Just a thought
Old 12-29-09, 02:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I wish they'd bring this car over!
Old 12-29-09, 05:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rsantiago
I sense that it might cannibalize sales of the Mustang GT. Just a thought
well in europe, hot fwd hatches have cult following... mostly because japanise AWD cars are very expensive due to low volumes they sell as well as well as no existence of cheap coupes from european manufactures that own most of the market.
Old 12-29-09, 05:40 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they brought the price down to that of a Mini Cooper S and Mazda Speed 3 it may succeed.
Old 12-29-09, 06:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Or even bring the 225 hp turbocharged Focus ST they had when I was in Mexico. That thing was a beast at my 1/4 mile track.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_(International)
Old 12-29-09, 07:44 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I wish they'd bring this car over!
Nah. Different audience for the most part.
Old 12-29-09, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

well yeah but WRX is one class above vehicle... Getting americans to pay more for FWD Focus than WRX or 370z or IS350 is not going to fly.

Subaru used that same line of reasoning for years with the WRX...it just wouldn't sell in America. Then, when they finally DID bring it over here, it sold like hotcakes.

I also don't entirely agree (even as a Subaru fan) that the WRX is one class above the Focus RS. Yes, unlike the RS, the WRX has rear doors and AWD, but significantly trails the RS in power. To get the RS's kind of power in a Subaru, you have to pay even more for an STi...which can sometimes run 40K. And, while, of course, paint is a minor issue, that bright lime-green paint job on the RS is a killer.
Old 12-29-09, 10:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Subaru used that same line of reasoning for years with the WRX...it just wouldn't sell in America. Then, when they finally DID bring it over here, it sold like hotcakes.

I also don't entirely agree (even as a Subaru fan) that the WRX is one class above the Focus RS. Yes, unlike the RS, the WRX has rear doors and AWD, but significantly trails the RS in power. To get the RS's kind of power in a Subaru, you have to pay even more for an STi...which can sometimes run 40K. And, while, of course, paint is a minor issue, that bright lime-green paint job on the RS is a killer.
Focus RS also has a lot of options available, it is not fully loaded... I just dont see the market there for 30-35k FWD car... not in the USA.

Hey I am not saying they should not sell it, i am saying it makes little sense to buy it over Evo or STI.
Old 12-29-09, 12:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

FYI, the the turbocharged 2.5 L 250 hp Focus ST I mentioned earlier goes for $322,600 pesos in Mexico, which at current exchange in USD is $24669.27, but keep in mind that cars often sell for 5K to 7K more in Mexico than in the U.S. when new due to different costs, taxes, etc., thus it could conceivably be under $20K here.

http://mx.autocosmos.yahoo.net/autos.../focus-st.aspx

Quick Reply: Ford needs to reconsider on the Focus RS