Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$7 Thousand worth of vandalism damage...pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 10:08 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $7 Thousand worth of vandalism damage...pics inside

SO the other day, we had to get our Xterra towed due to the A/C compressor seizing up. It happened on Christmas Eve night and ofcourse, all independent repair shops are closed. We had it towed to our normal shop and left it outside the fenced in area. I had it towed their because I had 1 free tow with USAA and I didn't want to pay another tow fee from our house to the repair shop. Nice nieghborhood where the shop is..or so we thought.

Everything was fine until Sunday night when someone decided to break into the car. With the alarm going off, they popped the hood and broke the battery terminals. They then attempted to steal the spare tire but had no luck. This must have pissed them off so they decided to pour some type of motor oil over the WHOLE interior of the car. Nothing was spared. Dash, steering wheel, every carpeted area, shifter, door panels, seats, you name it, it got a coating. They didn't attempt to steal anything else from expensive sungalsses to cd's to even the jumper cables lol. They did steal my emergency road side kit In the end, $7,200 dollars worth of damage to replace everything. USAA totalled the car. We are currently trying to buy a 2006 Murano because the Xterra was our only car.

The Tools they left behind

Old 12-30-09, 10:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am amazed at how crappy people can be. Stupid kids
Old 12-30-09, 10:12 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 mins with a baseball bat is all I can say.
Old 12-30-09, 10:18 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I walked into the shop Monday morning to give them the key so they could get to work on the car and the guy says "hey, what happened to your window?" I started feeling sick then. We went out to look at it and yea, my stomach hit the ground. The dang thing was paid for. 2004 model with 60k miles. We had planned on getting a new vehicle in a year but not this soon. Now I have to suck it up and make car payments way earlier than I had wanted.
Old 12-30-09, 10:36 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear

All of that over a spare tire? No sign of them trying to steal the car or anything else from it? Things like this make me lose faith in people...

Do you mind posting what city this happened in?
Old 12-30-09, 10:41 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrIan
Sorry to hear

All of that over a spare tire? No sign of them trying to steal the car or anything else from it? Things like this make me lose faith in people...

Do you mind posting what city this happened in?
Tyler, Tx No crime here..yea right. A teacher got stabbed to death at the highschool earlier this fall.

Yea, the spare tire. They didn't realize how difficult it is to get the tire lowered from underneath. It took me 30 minutes to figure it out about 1.5 years ago when I had a flat. We also had the lock nut thing on the other tires so if they wanted those, they were screwed there too. And, since they broke the battery terminal, there was really no way to steal the car. It wasn't going anywhere. They also didn't leave the container of oil to figure out exactly what it was.
Old 12-30-09, 10:44 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That is terrible, people have no heart, my Pathfinder got broken into a few years ago, and it just pisses me off to see another person go through the same.
Old 12-30-09, 10:45 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the world of coddled, spoiled children unfamiliar with consequence. We need to go back to the day where kids were taught right from wrong and if they chose wrong, they met their father's belt.

I digress. That's a real shame - I hope the Murano works out for you.
Old 12-31-09, 02:05 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AceVA
Welcome to the world of coddled, spoiled children ...
I take issue with your insinuation that well off children become worthless people but I choose not to get into war with you.

OP: look at the bright side (?) Murano sooner rather than later, and perhaps you can take advantage of year end clear outs
Old 12-31-09, 02:39 AM
madoka
Pole Position

I think a Singapore style caning is in order.
Old 12-31-09, 04:24 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
5 mins with a baseball bat is all I can say.
Originally Posted by Pirate400
I walked into the shop Monday morning to give them the key so they could get to work on the car and the guy says "hey, what happened to your window?" I started feeling sick then. We went out to look at it and yea, my stomach hit the ground. The dang thing was paid for. 2004 model with 60k miles. We had planned on getting a new vehicle in a year but not this soon. Now I have to suck it up and make car payments way earlier than I had wanted.
These people were not "stable"... our 4-Runner was totaled with ONE month remaining... hang in there!!!
Old 12-31-09, 06:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AceVA
Welcome to the world of coddled, spoiled children unfamiliar with consequence. We need to go back to the day where kids were taught right from wrong and if they chose wrong, they met their father's belt.
Where I come from, "coddled, spolied children unfamiliar with consequence" would be the last ones to do something like this. Not sure what things are like in Virginia but here those "coddled, spoiled children" drive Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes and wouldn't give a second thought to someone's XTerra sitting outside a fenced lot.

However, this is not worth having a discussion about class and responsibility, as someone's personal property was heavily damaged. I hope the Murano works out for you, Pirate
Old 12-31-09, 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry about the damage/loss, glad to hear USAA totaled the vehicle.
Old 12-31-09, 11:24 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Truly sorry to hear about your loss. Better things are coming for you in the new year.
Old 12-31-09, 02:29 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about your loss, guess it spoiled Christmas for you. At least you have USAA, the best company in the world, good luck with the Murano !!

Quick Reply: $7 Thousand worth of vandalism damage...pics inside