Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Consumer Reports Customer Satisfaction 2009: You won't believe this!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 05:03 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Consumer Reports Customer Satisfaction 2009: You won't believe this!

And the winner is?

A Chrysler, essentially.

Dodge Challenger tops Consumer Reports owner satisfaction survey

by Chris Shunk (RSS feed) on Dec 7th 2009 at 6:59PM

Consumer Reports has surveyed 380,000 subscribers to rank the most satisfied new car owners and a newcomer came in and dethroned the Toyota Prius. An amazing 92 percent of V8-powered Dodge Challenger owners said that they would definitely buy another Mopar pony car if they had the chance to do it all over again. That's a big-time win for Chrysler, as the Pentastar has been getting dinged badly in recent CR studies. Hybrids have been very popular in the satisfaction survey over the past few years, but the perennial champ Prius wasn't even the number one battery-assisted model. That honor goes to the new Ford Fusion Hybrid, which came in second overall with a 91 percent rating. The Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911 and Prius round out the top five. To make the top of the satisfaction list at least 80 percent of customers need to say that they would definitely buy the same vehicle again.

Detroit automakers substantially improved their standing in the annual survey versus last year, as nine percent of overall Motown models were at the top of the list. That's still down substantially against the 12 percent Asian automakers and 23 percent of European automakers scored in the top tier. While GM, Ford and Chrysler each found success at the top, each scoring a hit in the top five, two of the three automakers also filled out the entire bottom ten. Owners of the four cylinder Chrysler Sebring were the least satisfied among all surveyed. In all, GM had seven of the bottom ten while Chrysler had three unlovable losers. Head over to the Consumer Reports site for more details.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/07/d...-satisfaction/

Also of interest: http://autos.aol.com/article/jd-powe...isfaction-2009
Old 01-01-10, 07:22 PM
LexFather

I can believe it. Its a car for a certain market and person. They probably won't even consider a Camaro or Mustang.

Glad to see the Fusion hybrid score well in another survey!

Old 01-01-10, 07:31 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like 1Sick said, most people that are going to buy that type of car aren't considering other options so it's pretty hard for them to be unsatisfied.
Old 01-01-10, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, I read that in the annual CR paper-copy car-buying guide (I read it cover-to-cover every year), and I had recently considered ordering one of the limited-production-model purple ones (like the one from my high school days 40 years ago). But I am honestly not impressed with its build quality, or the materials used in its construction, where a Subaru absolutely destroys it.

I do, however, understand the car's strong appeal to Baby-Boomers like me, though, who are willing to overlook some build quality and fit/finish issues for its more-or-less retro styling. Same with the Mustang and Camaro, of course.....although the Mustang shares somewhat in Ford new-found quality.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-10 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-01-10, 07:37 PM
LexFather

MM, the Challenger calls u!!

Old 01-01-10, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can believe it. Its a car for a certain market and person. They probably won't even consider a Camaro or Mustang.
I agree it's mostly for a certain market (aging Baby Boomers), but those Boomers are probably just as willing to look at a Mustang or Camaro (if they can actually find Camaros for sale).

When most of us Boomers were in high school 40 years ago, we tended to be very loyal to certain cars and brands (me perhaps less so than some others, as I had a open mind towards cars......I even had a old Buick at one time). We even, to an extent, had Ford/Chevy/MoPar cliques. But, as many of the boomers aged, their fierce loyalty to Fords, Chevies or Plymouths/Dodges tended to spread out somewhat. The new Challenger, of course, brings back some of that nostalgia......but so does the Mustang and Camaro.

Glad to see the Fusion hybrid score well in another survey!
Yes....it is a superb car. I told you guys that when I reviewed it, and you, from your previous comments on this vehicle, seem to have come to the same conclusion.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-01-10, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
MM, the Challenger calls u!!
I addressed that issue in post #4.
Old 01-01-10, 08:01 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting.. a V8 muscle car..
Old 01-01-10, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sports-oriented and high-MPG vehicles have ranked the highest for some time now in CR customer-satisfation surveys (CR noted that in their paper-copy version).....that is really nothing unusual. The Toyota Prius, Mazda Miata, and Chevy Corvette have all ranked up at or near the top for several years.
Old 01-01-10, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Like 1Sick said, most people that are going to buy that type of car aren't considering other options so it's pretty hard for them to be unsatisfied.
No, they probably won't be looking at a LOT of other cars, but you can bet the rent money that they'll check out at least the Mustang and Camaro before deciding on a Challenger.
Old 01-01-10, 08:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am surprised but I am not surprised. You still have to admire how much power they give with this car in SRT8 trim. 425 hp is no joke.
Old 01-01-10, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am surprised but I am not surprised. You still have to admire how much power they give with this car in SRT8 trim. 425 hp is no joke.
That's the same as the Camaro SS. The new Mustang GT will (supposedly) have 415.....and that's in non-Cobra, non-Shelby trim.
Old 01-01-10, 09:08 PM
LexFather

I dunno MIke, I think its like Ram/Silverado/F-150 fans...they might look at the competition but not seriously consider it.

Glad to see this for Chrysler as they have few bright spots.

Old 01-01-10, 09:10 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fun car to drive for sure...
Old 01-01-10, 09:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd rather have anthrax...

Quick Reply: 2009 Consumer Reports Customer Satisfaction 2009: You won't believe this!