Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Whats your car of the decade.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 12:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The Bugatti has 0 competition from any manufacturer any where EVER. I respect the Prius and I respect the technology and how it will shape the future of transportation but the Bugatti represent an amazing close to the old chapter of Auto design. Just amazing imho. Truly amazing

What car can make an Enzo Ferrari look like its for little girls. It even makes the motors in other super cars seem pathetic and dated in the means they produce power

The Bugatti is so radical and advanced that nobody will ever make a car like that again. NOBODY. They are copying the Prius right now everywhere. Toyota is ahead but the others are all chasing. The Bugatti Veyron stretched the limits of engineering. They met with way more issues in development than I would assume they did when developing the prius. electric motors have been around for 100 years. W16 quad turbos mated to chassis that can achieve 253 mph.... not quite that long
While everything about the Bugatti is indeed impressive, the Prius is more significant for the US market than any other vehicle and thus is the car of the decade in America and worldwide.

First introducted in 2001 the Prius is now in its third generation, has introduced Americans to the Hybrid Synergy Drive system, is strong link to Toyota "Green" image and no matter what anyone says has change the way manufacturers make automobiles.

Toyota now has about 10 models between Lexus and Toyota which use the system the Prius introduced.

I believe the current Prius can get 50mpg....

The car of the next decade will once again be a hybrid...but it will be a plug-in hybrid this time around.
Old 01-03-10, 01:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

What really impresses me about the Prius not only its efficiency but the price as well. They price it like they are literally going to save the world with them. 22-24k is amazing for a car this advanced, economical, and oh yeah....toyota reliability. I really think the new generation of the prius look nice. The styling is unique but has improved a lot
Old 01-03-10, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
They may have low CO2 emissions, but the noxious particulates that form pollution are still there. I believe that the Jetta TDI went from an air quality score of 1 to 3 when it became a "clean" diesel. Whereas the average compact is a 6 and the Prius is a 9.5 out of 10.
On the larger Bluetec diesels, that's what the urea-solution is for....to take care of the NOx. It has to be refilled every 10,000 miles or so, depending on the solution-tank size and the rate of usage. The TDI doesn't use the urea solution, but, being a smaller engine, doesn't produce as many NOx particles to start with.....the VW engineers got it to pass the EPA and CA tests without the solution. It is clean enough to pass in all 50 states, including CA, the strictest....something which couldn't necessarily be said for earlier diesels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-10 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 02:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I always wondered what type of prices would an owner be looking at for urea replacement
Old 01-03-10, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I always wondered what type of prices would an owner be looking at for urea replacement
I think BMW and Mercedes include it in either their factory or dealer service-contracts. BMW, for instance, in the American market, has free maintenance for at least the warranty period.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx
Old 01-03-10, 02:50 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first choice is the SC430, second choice is the LF-A !! I just love Lexus cars, and both of these cars are actually affordable .
Old 01-03-10, 04:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

For enthusiasts especially I would definitely say the Bugatti Veyron and Nissan GTR.

Nothing has ever been done like the Veyron, nothing even looks like it one the road. The closest car to the Veyron is Bugatti's own EB 110. The Veyron is just such an amazing achievement and sets the standard for record breaking performance and engineering in a sports car. 4 turbos, 16 cylinders, awd, how many radiators?, etc all in a relatively small package that actually drives well and has a luxury interior. There is nothing like it and most likely never will be anything like it unless Bugatti happens to make it.

The GTR just for the sheer amount of exotic killing performance and technology in a car well under 100K and it is finally available in the US. It is such an amazing car and even more amazing when you figure price into the equation.
Old 01-03-10, 08:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On the larger Bluetec diesels, that's what the urea-solution is for....to take care of the NOx. It has to be refilled every 10,000 miles or so, depending on the solution-tank size and the rate of usage. The TDI doesn't use the urea solution, but, being a smaller engine, doesn't produce as many NOx particles to start with.....the VW engineers got it to pass the EPA and CA tests without the solution. It is clean enough to pass in all 50 states, including CA, the strictest....something which couldn't necessarily be said for earlier diesels.
Ah, an excellent point that I overlooked. The R320 bluetec has a score of 6, which is excellent for a diesel, but on par with the gasoline version.
Old 01-03-10, 08:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think BMW and Mercedes include it in either their factory or dealer service-contracts. BMW, for instance, in the American market, has free maintenance for at least the warranty period.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx
The free maintenance is great but what horror story will it be to change that after the warranty expires??? A BMW is not the best car to own without a warranty.
Old 01-03-10, 09:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the stinking diesel and urea thread...
Old 01-03-10, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Is this the stinking diesel and urea thread...
The reason we got started discussing new-technology diesels is that some posters felt that the VW/Audi TDI (Jetta, A3, Passat, etc.....) should be Car of the Decade....the thread topic. I pointed out that, IMO, I did not entirely disagree, but that, IMO, that type of technology will affect the next decade more than the last one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-10 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 09:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
For enthusiasts especially I would definitely say the Bugatti Veyron and Nissan GTR.
Supercars like that are fine for the record books (and car-magazine covers) but have little real influence on the auto market as a whole because they are built and sold in such small numbers.
Old 01-03-10, 09:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are in 2010 so looking back I was wondering if you had to pick one car (ONLY 1) what car would you say would be the best car made over the last decade and why????

I have to say although there are many cars that can be put on this list , like the Prius which is a very close 2nd place because it represents the future, butI have to give my vote to the Bugatti Veyron. Never in automotive history has there ever been a car as expensive, powerful, or technologically advanced. In my opinion the car represents the pinnacle of automotive engineering. Its the type of vehicle that will probably never be matched in power delivery or even design. Cars are heading in a different direction. Cars like the Veyron don't come along every 10 years. In fact they don't even come along every 100 years.

Who gets your vote guys???? WHY????
Refresher on OP's original topic (above).
Old 01-04-10, 12:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As amazing as the Veyron and other supercars may be, they are all just too irrelevant to deserve the car of the decade award. Sure the level of engineering in these is amazing, but they are limited production cars, with ridiculous price tags, and their makers do not worry about tight profit margins or limited R&D budgets.

As far as the Prius, I personally truly appreciate its hybrid technology. It is certainly a step towards the future, and even for those of you who do not care for the hybrid driv-etrain, it is important to realize that hybrid cars such as the Prius are accelerating the development of new battery technologies. The sooner we get high capacity batteries that recharge fast, the sooner we will have all electric cars. With that being said, I don't think Prius is the car of the decade either. Outside of its drive-train, it doesn't offer much value for the money it costs, and it doesn't make much sense for anybody besides "eco-mentalists" or wealthy people seeking an eco-image.

My car of the decade goes to your mainstream family sedan - the CamCordTima. Yep they might be unexciting and boring, and there's forty of them on every city block, but just think about them and what they offer. First of all they compete in the most aggressive market and the profit margins are razor thin. Never the less, they continue to improve year after year, generation after generation. Just think about what you get with one of these – the amount of features, safety and luxury amenities that was available in cars with double or triple the price tag just a decade ago, engines powerful enough to rival sports cars of a decade ago, continuously improving reliability and longer warranty, better fuel economy despite more weight and engine power, virtually no emissions, and amazingly the pricetag doesn’t increase significantly despite of all the improvements, and even defying inflation.

So if you think creating something like the Veyron is challenging, try creating something like the CamCordTima. Heck, there are FAR more successful super cars than mainstream family sedans. Bugattis, Ferraris, Zondas, McLarens, Porsches, Lambos, Ascaris, Koenigseggseggseggsegg – you name them, and they are all highly desirable and sell every car they build. Even the brand new overpriced Lexus LFA will sell every car they build the second it goes on sale. Things are far more challenging in the world of mainstream family sedan. At least in the USA market nothing has been every remotely close to the success of the CamCordTima in the past decade. Everyone else is trying to do everything to get a piece of the pie, but nobody can get a bigger chunk. The competition is offering lower prices, longer warranties, more features, heavy discounts, and the CamCordTima manages to stay at the top. And it is not easy to stay at the top in the game – one mistake and they will sink. Just remember what happened to the Taurus in the 90ies.
Old 01-04-10, 01:33 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
My car of the decade goes to your mainstream family sedan - the CamCordTima. Yep they might be unexciting and boring, and there's forty of them on every city block, but just think about them and what they offer.
Just so you know....Those CamCordTima's that you talk of are available with hybrid systems....CamCordTima Hybrids were not available in the decade before.

Quick Reply: Whats your car of the decade.