Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Whats your car of the decade.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 02:24 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Toyota Prius (See post #6 in this thread). There, I explain in detail why.
Thanks...didn't realize you posted your pick earlier
Old 01-04-10, 02:35 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
For me the Veyron will always represent the close to a chapter in automotive history. It is the greatest, most powerful, most expensive, and fastest production car ever created in human history....errr....that wasn't trying to save the planet.

"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom". In this case the wisdom being needing to stop consuming gas like it fills the oceans and is replenishable . ( The Veyron will empty its tank in 12 minutes at full speed)

To me the Veyron represents the best we will ever be in the past and the Prius represents the birth or genesis of the next chapter in automotive history and evolution. They are both amazing cars to me
Give it up with the Veyron...it probably is likely the least significant car of the last decade. If I am correct, it only served half of the last decade.

There are a number of cars that come to mind that are more important.

Toyota's own Tundra was significant to the full size truck market....
Lexus LS600h was technologically significant..(but turned out to be a flop)
Cadillac Escalade was incredibily significant...for sales and status and bling
Ford's Focus...for putting Ford back on the credibility map
Mercedes S-Class for topping the Lexus LS as the class leader (and then staying on top)

Last edited by pagemaster; 01-04-10 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 02:39 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't read the entire thread and someone else may have nominated it but for me it's the Audi R8.
It is a beautiful car with near-exotic looks and performance. It also has everyday usability at a price many of us could afford. It reminds me of the Acura NSX except it lacks the reliabilty of the Acura.
Everything else is so desirable for me.
Old 01-04-10, 03:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Give it up with the Veyron...it probably is likely the least significant car of the last decade. If I am correct, it only served half of the last decade.

There are a number of cars that come to mind that are more important.

Toyota's own Tundra was significant to the full size truck market....
Lexus LS600h was technologically significant..(but turned out to be a flop)
Cadillac Escalade was incredibily significant...for sales and status and bling
Ford's Focus...for putting Ford back on the credibility map
Mercedes S-Class for topping the Lexus LS as the class leader (and then staying on top)
Give your vote to whatever car you want. You choice is no better than mine. You can back up your choice but dont bash mine. Thanks

PS I would have to agree with most others that the Prius is at minimum more relevant than anything you listed imho. To each his own.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-04-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 04:23 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

My pick is the Prius Mk2.

Its a car that took a new technology, made it despite the naysayers (who remembers all those who mocked Toyota for losing on each Prius?), into a best seller, proving that not only could it be used daily, provide amazing milage but in utter reliability!

As for all those siding VW or BMW Diesels, I say "What?
I don't hate diesels not the least, but:
* Its way more polluting than Hybrids. Sure it gets good milage but pollutes like a regular gas engine if not more.
* Its not the future. Future is electric engines, be it fuel cells, hybrids (which BTW can be a Diesel Hybrid) or any other, and Hybrids (esp the Prius) took us one step closer to the future, proving it can be done and without too many compromises.
* So far the companies who brought us diesles aren't reknowned for their reliabilty.

This is for this decade.

Next decade?
I see Hybrids getting better (batteries, plug ins etc.), electric cars abound (better place, Fisker, Tesla) I just don't see diesels outdoing these. It could grow in popularity and deservedly so, but I just don't think it would be a game changer, to be "...of the decade"

Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-04-10, 05:00 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I would like to see more RX450h type vehicles in this new decade. Where else do you get a vehicle with that much power that gets that mileage? Put that powertrain in a lighter, aerodynamic sedan and we will really be talkin.
Old 01-04-10, 05:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I would like to see more RX450h type vehicles in this new decade. Where else do you get a vehicle with that much power that gets that mileage? Put that powertrain in a lighter, aerodynamic sedan and we will really be talkin.

I agree. More hybrid SUVs would be awesome.Americans love their SUVs. They need to develop more good hybrid SUVs for the US markets
Old 01-04-10, 09:18 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

toyota camry...no explanation needed...
Old 01-04-10, 09:29 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LIMS407
toyota camry...no explanation needed...
Why? The Toyota Camry was significant way back in the 1980's when Toyota was establishing itself with the everyday working class guy...
Old 01-05-10, 01:46 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Give your vote to whatever car you want. You choice is no better than mine. You can back up your choice but dont bash mine. Thanks

PS I would have to agree with most others that the Prius is at minimum more relevant than anything you listed imho. To each his own.
Hey, didn't mean to offend and I didn;t mean to sound like I was bashing.

To be honest, I never even knew what a Veyron was until I read this thread. That is how insignificant the Veyron really is. While I did know what a Bugatti was as well as the fact that I did know they had a car that was a $1mil, I never knew that the Veyron could go 0-60mph in 2.5sec and the top speed is whatever it claims. I now know that Bugatti is owned by VW

With that being said, yeah it is pretty cool that the car can go fast and it is pretty neat that it has 16 radiators or whatever the number it is they claim. But more importantly, do most people really care? I certainly don't.

One thing is certain...both the Veyron and the Prius are ugly cars....the Veyron looks dorky while the Pruis looks well like a Prius.
Old 01-05-10, 06:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to nominate another car cause it's just that significant to me. The Mercedes CLS. It's a trend setter. No one was doing the sedan-coupe-thing. Yes, there were chopped tops many years ago done by rodders but what other manufacturer was bold enough to put out a low roof coupe-like sedan like the CLS. Now every car maker has a car like that. The CLS created a genre and the world has eaten it up.

That's a worthy contender for Car of the Decade.
Old 01-05-10, 10:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'm going to nominate another car cause it's just that significant to me. The Mercedes CLS. It's a trend setter. No one was doing the sedan-coupe-thing. Yes, there were chopped tops many years ago done by rodders but what other manufacturer was bold enough to put out a low roof coupe-like sedan like the CLS. Now every car maker has a car like that. The CLS created a genre and the world has eaten it up.

Got my vote for a contender at least.
Old 01-06-10, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Got my vote for a contender at least.
If you are going to look at factory-designed chopped/lowered roofs as contenders, then the Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300 actually started that trend before the CLS and VW CC had them....although, of course, the Magnums and 300s were more squared-off instead of the CLS humpback-whale shape.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 09:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you are going to look at factory-designed chopped/lowered roofs as contenders, then the Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300 actually started that trend before the CLS and VW CC had them....although, of course, the Magnums and 300s were more squared-off instead of the CLS humpback-whale shape.
Choptops for sure, but not the same as CLS and CC because they are not coupe-like with sleek fastback styling and very good aero numbers too. ISx50 and XF are some other variations on the sleek fastback sport sedan style too. To IS350's point, CLS created a genre of cars and expect more to come.
Old 01-06-10, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Choptops for sure, but not the same as CLS and CC because they are not coupe-like with sleek fastback styling and very good aero numbers too. ISx50 and XF are some other variations on the sleek fastback sport sedan style too. To IS350's point, CLS created a genre of cars and expect more to come.
OK, if you look at it that way (with humpback-whale roofs), then, yes, the CLS was probably a trend-setter.

I still think that the Prius, in the long run, had more influence on the 2000-2010 decade than any other single car, though we may disagree on which Prius version was the best.

Quick Reply: Whats your car of the decade.