Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYT: Arizona May Abandon Speed Cameras on Highways

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 09:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They usually can't prove it......that was the subject of my last post, above. That's why the car owner (under the law, the registered owner gets the ticket) can sign an affidavit swearing that he or she was not driving the vehicle at the time. And that, of course, means that it was either stolen or loaned out to someone.....like your friend. If your friend was driving your car and got a ticket, the way it works in most states, you will be sent the bill. The simplest thing to do, IMO, in those circumstances is to pay the ticket yourself (it doesn't put any points on your driving record, so it's just money) and work out some kind of deal between you and your friend over the money involved. How you two do that, of course, is a private matter and your own buisness, and I won't get involved in that.

If you claim the car was stolen without your permission and someone else was driving (you have that option), that can be a much trickier situation, because then a (supposed) crime will be involved, and the police may ask further questions about it or do an investigation. I myself would not claim that if it were not true.
No, you don't pay the ticket because it's not a ticket until the District Attorney determines who is driving. The only way around that scam is what they do here in GA - a red light ticket is a no points offense just like a parking ticket. Anything affecting your driving record - like a speeding ticket - isn't something "you pay and work out with your friend" because YOUR license now has a speeding ticket on it and your insurance company is going to adjust your rates accordingly. Minnesota's Supreme Court struck down red light cameras because the government attempted to do what Georgia did.

Many municipalities are killing the speeding and red light cameras because they're not generating the revenue they were told they'd receive and they cost more than they produce. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it surely isn't complete evidence a crime has been committed by a specific person.
Old 01-04-10, 10:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am praying that they will get rid of these stupid cameras. The Highways here are so smooth and so open...and so empty it makes sense to just let us speed and nail the crazy drivers only. Not ever single person over 10 mph over. Look at the freeways in LA. The freeways sometime flow at 85 mph with no issues and they are more congested than they are here in AZ