Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Etios - affordable, quality car for world

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 05:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Toyota Unveils Concept Version of New Compact Car for India

Toyota Unveils Concept Version of New Compact Car for India

Tokyo-TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announces its production and sales subsidiary in India unveiled today-under the banner: "World First, India First"-a concept version of the "Etios*", a compact car newly developed specifically for the Indian market. Toyota Kirloskar Motor Private, Ltd. (TKM) is showing the concept car at the 10th Auto Expo automobile show in New Delhi, which runs until January 11.

The Etios is aimed at family users in India's rapidly growing automobile market. Reflecting its "one class above" theme, the Etios' styling evokes a sense of advanced status, and, along with a spacious interior with abundant storage space, it aims to offer both smooth and powerful driving and excellent fuel efficiency.

To make the car as affordable as possible for potential customers, thorough use of local parts will be pursued to keep costs low.

On display at the show are a sedan version with a newly developed 1.5-liter gasoline engine and a hatchback version with a newly developed 1.2-liter gasoline engine.

Etios chief engineer, Yoshinori Noritake, said at the show: "I visited many Indian cities and homes to learn the market and to hear from the consumer directly.

Over four years, more than 2,000 engineers have been involved in the development of the Etios, and each has devoted his or her best effort with no compromises. I am convinced in my heart that the Etios offers joy of ownership and quality of life to consumers in India."

TKM will produce the Etios from late 2010 at its second plant, which is now being built expressly for the new car.

Annual sales in India are set at 70,000 units. Exports are planned.

At the show, the TKM exhibit, with its key message of "Quality Revolution", comprises a total of 14 production and concept vehicles, including the third-generation "Prius" gasoline-electric hybrid passenger car, which is scheduled to go on sale in India in 2010, the "Prado" SUV recently unveiled for the Indian market, the "i-REAL" personal mobility vehicle and the "Fine-S" fuel-cell hybrid vehicle.
Old 01-05-10, 05:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 01-05-10, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You guys beat me to it.......I was going to post several of those images myself.

Anyhow, IMO, it is a good-looking small car on Toyota's part, especially the sedan version..........better then the Yaris and the small Scions, and MUCH better than the ugly Echo. if Toyota wants to bring it stateside, I have no problems with it, except for one thing.....Toyota/Scion's seeming obsession with center-mount gauges on its subcompacts.

I've never liked the center-mount speedometer and gauges. They are a cheap substitute for putting them where, IMO they belong....behind the steering wheel.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-05-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 10:17 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite good...........for a budget vehicle.

I'm cool though with center-mounted instrument gauges (as they seem to be easier for LHD<->RHD manufacturing). Though for some people, it's harder to use these.
Old 01-06-10, 01:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You guys beat me to it.......I was going to post several of those images myself.

Anyhow, IMO, it is a good-looking small car on Toyota's part, especially the sedan version..........better then the Yaris and the small Scions, and MUCH better than the ugly Echo. if Toyota wants to bring it stateside, I have no problems with it, except for one thing.....Toyota/Scion's seeming obsession with center-mount gauges on its subcompacts.

I've never liked the center-mount speedometer and gauges. They are a cheap substitute for putting them where, IMO they belong....behind the steering wheel.
this car will never reach the states, it is affordable transpotation for countries where Yaris is premium car...
Old 01-06-10, 03:50 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite a good effort with enough about the front end to make it interesting. The hatch looks good but the sedan has that clumsy look about it that all these small cars get when they try to graft on a trunk.
Old 01-06-10, 03:52 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope they market the car in the US, it will blow FIAT/Chrysler away !!
Old 01-06-10, 05:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

This is the best selling car in India btw ;-) (this is current interior). It will be priced quite less than Etios of course.

Just for some perspective ;-)