Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac CTS Tops Consumer Reports' Tests of 5 Luxury Sedans ......

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 09:54 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Some good points, but Acura will not advertise it's way out of this sales disaster with the RL.

The product (RL) is not compelling, even if it's better than the TL which is not it's real competition especially at $50K plus.
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
... and prohibitively expensive too, and so are the "slow-selling" ultra luxury sedans and coupes from RR and Bentley ...
Okay I didn't want to say it but no one should relate a much cheaper car that can't b given away to a Rolls or Bentley and their sales. Those cars r not high volume cars....u can't call them "slow sellers" lol

Old 01-06-10, 10:02 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, lol.

1. We are talking about the 2010 E-class, not past E-classes.

2. The RL is a failure at 200 sales units per month, ready for EOL.

3. The biggest fans of the RL are people that never buy the car.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bingo........especially number 3
I have to agree.
Old 01-07-10, 07:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Like it or not, the RL needs a makeover, or something, ASAP for it to be viable as a premium car in that price range.
The RL just had a makeover lst year. Like most of Acura facelifts, they have made it worst.
Old 01-07-10, 08:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
The RL just had a makeover lst year. Like most of Acura facelifts, they have made it worst.
Yes, that's why he said "or something" because something drastic like a complete redesign is necessary before the sales = 0.
Old 01-07-10, 08:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that's why he said "or something" because something drastic like a complete redesign is necessary before the sales = 0.
Isnt it pretty close to zero now? I think Acura have already given up on the current gen RL.
Old 01-07-10, 08:10 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

The RL just had a makeover last year. Like most of Acura facelifts, they have made it worst.
sad but true
Old 01-07-10, 08:52 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, it won't tell you how long necessarily the engine or transmission will last with normal use, but you can learn a LOT from a good overview and test-drive. Even back in the late 60's, when I was a teen-ager (I did my first formal review in 1970), I could tell that GM and Ford products, in general, had better sheet metal, better overall assembly quality, and used better interial materials than Chrysler or AMC products. Chrysler, though, was known for the durability of its six-cylinders, small V8s, and the Torqueflite automatic transmission.....something that, as you note, can only be proved with the test of time.

I personally like to comment on the qualities my cars after owning them for some time. It just seems more logical (and fair) to me to do it in this fashion.

For example, tomorrow I am returning the E230 to my firm with close to 60,000 km and picking up my new BMW 118d, a private purchase. Actually, it's a Vorfuhrwagen (demo car) which I bought from a BMW dealer for an acceptable price. The E230 was a great car. Never missed a beat, always comfortable and refined (it's a V6). My wife and I basically explored Europe in the car (it's also a great long-distance cruiser I should add). I guess now I can comment on the build quality of the car - which to me was excellent. The machine felt well-build and solid, which was especially apparent at high speeds on the autobahn. I suspect the new E class improves upon this great build quality of the predecessor as many reviews have stated.

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I'm going to be a BMW owner, my first one. Originally I intended to get a Citroen C5, but I'll explain tomorrow as to why I ended up with a BMW 1 series sedan.
Old 01-07-10, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I'm going to be a BMW owner, my first one. Originally I intended to get a Citroen C5, but I'll explain tomorrow as to why I ended up with a BMW 1 series sedan.

If you have driven a Citroen C5 (or intend to shortly) share your opinions with us on the car (you can start a new thread if needed). Most of us here in America get very few good reviews of French-designed vehicles.
Old 01-07-10, 09:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I personally like to comment on the qualities my cars after owning them for some time. It just seems more logical (and fair) to me to do it in this fashion.

Are there is the beauty of a forum like car chat. We have many owners of various brands of cars that have extensive hands-on experience and knowledge. All of us take test drives, but not one of us can own every significant car on the market. But we do want to hear from the owners of our favorite cars for their real life experiences with the cars.

Off the top of my head I know we have several CL posters with ownership experiences reporting on most of the Lexus models, many BMW, Subie, Mercedes, Porsche, Toyota, VW, Honda models too.

Look forward to your feedback on the BMW 1 series too.
Old 01-07-10, 09:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I should have said "complete" makeover....
Old 01-07-10, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Should of said disposal and complete redesign maybe.
Old 01-07-10, 11:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If last year's RL make over is a mid design cycle re-fresh, then I would not expect a re-design RL for another 3 to 4 years.
Old 01-07-10, 12:21 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you have driven a Citroen C5 (or intend to shortly) share your opinions with us on the car (you can start a new thread if needed). Most of us here in America get very few good reviews of French-designed vehicles.
You're in luck. I actually drove a Citroen C5 2.2 HDi diesel and the experience made me fall in love with it. What a superb car.

Here's the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...5-2-2-hdi.html

I would have gone for the C5 but I'll explain all that tomorrow (or Saturday). Another vehicle I was eying was the Skoda Superb. The Superb is a kind of European "Toyota Avalon / Hyundai Azera" - a mainstream car with premium aspirations.

Look forward to your feedback on the BMW 1 series too.
Thanks. I'm very excited.

I testdrove a BMW 118i in mid-2009 and loved it. It's a sporty vehicle but I also found it relatively comfortable and solid in feel. Despite being classified as a small car, it's quite roomy on the inside, too. I'll talk more about it tomorrow (or Saturday).
Old 01-08-10, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You're in luck. I actually drove a Citroen C5 2.2 HDi diesel and the experience made me fall in love with it. What a superb car.
Thanks. Good write-up.

That is a beautiful car....looks a lot like a Jaguar XF on the outside. Interior is not quite as plush as a Jag but still nice. I'm glad to see that the French, based on your observance here, have not (yet) given up on soft suspensions and cushy seats....two long-standing French traditions. French auto buyers demand seating and ride comfort.....they won't put up with too much firmness, and generally don't care as much about handling as the Germans and Swedes do.

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-08-10, 09:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Cool, the C5 looks great, another great example of sleek and almost coupe-like sport sedan styling that I happen to like.

Quick Reply: Cadillac CTS Tops Consumer Reports' Tests of 5 Luxury Sedans ......