Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Loaner Mileage Restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 07:52 PM
CaliCarGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loaner Mileage Restrictions?

Hey guys I ran a search but came up fairly empty on this topic so I'm posting here.

I have a business trip to AZ this weekend in which I will accumulate about 1k miles, yet my GX470 (2004) has been giving me the fitz lately so I scheduled a service for Saturday. If I bring the loaner back on Monday with this outrageous amount of miles, will I be held accountable? I have managed to drive about 300-400 over the course of a single day's loan, but I'm not anxious to call and ask the dealer (Longo Lexus, El Monte, Ca) and ask.

Thanks, MG
Old 01-05-10, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus....and CAR CHAT. I see this is your first post.

I've never been to Longo Lexus (I live on the East Coast) but I have heard lots of good things about that dealership.....it is known nationwide, has an extremely high reputation, and is known for customer service.

If you don't want to call or E-Mail the dealership and ask directly, there are a few posters here on CL who might know of any loaner restrictions. Try PM'ing rominl or flipside909 right here on the forum. I believe both of them are familiar with that dealership. We had a lady on CL (Elizabeth) who used to actually sell vehicles at Longo, but she recently passed away, unfortunately.
Old 01-05-10, 08:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliCarGuy
Hey guys I ran a search but came up fairly empty on this topic so I'm posting here.

I have a business trip to AZ this weekend in which I will accumulate about 1k miles, yet my GX470 (2004) has been giving me the fitz lately so I scheduled a service for Saturday. If I bring the loaner back on Monday with this outrageous amount of miles, will I be held accountable? I have managed to drive about 300-400 over the course of a single day's loan, but I'm not anxious to call and ask the dealer (Longo Lexus, El Monte, Ca) and ask.

Thanks, MG
Welcome!

Longo's policy as well as most Lexus dealer loan car policy is that the car must be kept in the state. It is unlimited mileage but it is not to be driven outside of the state. Some dealers have a mileage cap per day on their loaners. I know for a fact Longo doesnt do this. If your car is scheduled for a service that does not require a loaner, you will not be loaned one.
Old 01-05-10, 09:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, flip......like I mentioned in my first post, I figured you and Henry would know.
Old 01-05-10, 10:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not seeing the restrictions here at Lexus dealerships so far in northern CA, something to watch for.
Old 01-05-10, 10:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to take my G35 loaners from AZ to LA. Its kind of cool, for the price of an oil change and the $10 for the car its a great deal for a luxury rental car for the weekend. Just another perk of owning a car from a company that gives loaners. I remember getting a G35 with 600 miles on it and heading to LA. When I got back the guy realized that I put 1000miles on the car and said thats what they are there for. It shouldn't be an issue. If they don't give loaners for oil changes and regular service then take the car to a different dealership. We get them in AZ if I want to stop and have them wash the car for gods sake. Perks baby.... there has to be perks for driving a Lexus
Old 01-06-10, 12:29 AM
CaliCarGuy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick responses guys! In regards to the 'Don't take courtesy cars out-of-state', is there any way that they track that? I have been a loyal customer for years so hopefully that plays into my favor somehow heh.

It would be nice to drive out to AZ in a car with better MPG than my '05 GX!
Old 01-06-10, 12:53 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

How close is AZ, the Lexus and Infiniti dealers we have bought from are on the border of NJ, and more then half the people live in NY, and loaner cars are usually covered by your insurance, so just go
Old 01-06-10, 01:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

you would do best to ask them ;-)
Old 01-06-10, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MG - Welcome to CL and have a nice trip to AZ.
Old 01-06-10, 09:47 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliCarGuy
Thanks for the quick responses guys! In regards to the 'Don't take courtesy cars out-of-state', is there any way that they track that? I have been a loyal customer for years so hopefully that plays into my favor somehow heh.
The only way they can possibly track it is the miles you log in a short amount of time. I've heard some dealers have installed GPS tracking units to follow their cars. I personally wouldn't do it. It says on the contract you sign, not to take the car out of state. If you were to say have some kind of incident with the loaner car accident, theft or etc, you will be placed on a blacklist.

Just save yourself the headache and rent a car.

Here's an awesome deal that Alamo is offering. $10/day rentals:

https://www.alamo.com/index.do?actio...-weekend-email
Old 01-06-10, 10:12 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't speak for that dealership, but my local dealership (Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA) states on the loaner car agreement that the car is use only in the "local area". Of course, they do no define what "local area" is.
Old 01-06-10, 11:31 AM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

I just put 1000 mile on my loaner car
Old 01-06-10, 12:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe my Mercedes dealer in north Houston had a 100 mile limitation.
Old 01-06-10, 01:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

What if you tell them there was an emergency. When your only car is a loaner.....its your only car.

Quick Reply: Loaner Mileage Restrictions?