Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Swiss court fines speeding millionaire $290,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 08:37 AM
LexFather

Default Swiss court fines speeding millionaire $290,000

http://www.accessatlanta.com/celebri...xntlid=thbz_hm

ST. GALLEN, Switzerland — A Swiss court has slapped a wealthy speeder with a chalet-sized fine — a full $290,000.

Judges at the cantonal court in St. Gallen, in eastern Switzerland, based the record-breaking fine on the speeder's estimated wealth of over $20 million.

A statement on the court's Web site says the driver — a repeat offender — drove up to 35 miles an hour (57 kilometers an hour) faster than the 50-mile-an-hour (80-kilometer-an-hour) limit.

Court clerk Heidi Baumann-Becker said Thursday the unidentified driver can appeal the decision, handed down in November, to the Swiss supreme court.

The Blick daily newspaper in Zurich reported the fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record of about $107,000.

___

January 07, 2010 10:51 AM EST

Old 01-07-10, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

This case is obviously an exception, but, in general, fines mean little to wealthy people. Far more effective, IMO, is the prospect of loss of one's license.....and jail time if caught driving without one.

Even that, though can't deter some people. I once had a friend, with dual U.S.-Canadian citizenship, who drove around, here in the U.S., on his Canadian license. He amassed dozens of speeding tickets and paid fines (he got to the point where I wouldn't ride with him anymore). But they couldn't take his license from him because it was Canadian.
Old 01-07-10, 08:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahaha, suddenly speeding seems "cheap" here in the US
Old 01-07-10, 08:57 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prospect of the Swiss handing over extreme fines to speeders has been in the news for quite some time in Europe. If I recall correctly, in Finland they have a similar method of fining speeders based on income.

I remember when I visited Switzerland for the first time a few months ago that I strictly stuck to the speed limits. I've heard all about how extreme their speeding fines are. If I was permitted to drive 120 kph I actually set cruise control at 137 kph just to be on the safe side. Their tolerance levels are unfamiliar to me, too. In Germany there is generally an overspeed tolerance of 7 kph. But just to be safe, I usually drive 3 kph over the given speed limit in Germany.
Old 01-07-10, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The prospect of the Swiss handing over extreme fines to speeders has been in the news for quite some time in Europe. If I recall correctly, in Finland they have a similar method of fining speeders based on income.

That wouldn't work here in the U.S. Unlike Switzerland, here, most traffic fines are meted out by each individual state, not the central government or centralized Canton courts, and fines, of course, are determined strictly by speed categories and the nature of the offense, not income. Judges are not allowed to add to the fine just because of income.
Old 01-07-10, 10:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay to play in OP's example.
Old 01-07-10, 11:29 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This case is obviously an exception, but, in general, fines mean little to wealthy people. Far more effective, IMO, is the prospect of loss of one's license.....and jail time if caught driving without one.

Even that, though can't deter some people. I once had a friend, with dual U.S.-Canadian citizenship, who drove around, here in the U.S., on his Canadian license. He amassed dozens of speeding tickets and paid fines (he got to the point where I wouldn't ride with him anymore). But they couldn't take his license from him because it was Canadian.
I know some states are tied into certain provinces. So even if your driving in the US with a Canadian license your stuck with the fine and losing points. I know its like that with people from Quebec.

Only place its safe for Quebecers to speed and just have to pay fines is in Hawaii.
Old 01-07-10, 06:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

its chump change for the driver.