Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports 2010 Car Brand Perception Survey, (Toyota Tops)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You've never heard of her? She is BIG out there in CA......San Francisco is her home.

Here....this tells her story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianna_Huffington
I've heard the name but never much about her, but in Silicon Valley we tend to stay away from the extremes.
Old 01-08-10, 10:57 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

uhh I live in SF and I have not even heard the name... but I drive an SUV, haha
Old 01-08-10, 10:58 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
uhh I live in SF and I have not even heard the name... but I dry an SUV, haha
Let her hang out with Newt, that would be an ugly couple.
Old 01-08-10, 11:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"Safety, quality and value topped the list of factors that car owners considered the most important when buying a car." Makes sense to me.
Old 01-08-10, 11:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

This survey tells me the general public knows very little about cars, thus their perceptions are screwy

No luxury brands in top three in quality ?
Toyota in top three in performance?
Lexus behind Mercedes and BMW in overall scores(expected), but #1 in design/style ? (I thought they are supposed to be bland, which I partially disagree ...) ... etc ......
Old 01-08-10, 11:49 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps that is one of the things that draws so many women to the VW Beetle....its generally good safety-rating. I generally don't believe in stereotypes, but there is no question that the Beetle is popular with women........especially the convertible.
The VW Beetle is popular with women because that is the audience VW catered to. VW knew who their target market was from the beginning and went after it, quite successfully, I might add. They even went as far as installing a built-in flower vase. Now, if that's not for women, I don't know what is. I'm with you about stereotypes but sometimes there's no getting around it. The New Beetle is a perfect example. It was designed, engineered, and built, for women. That's not to say a man couldn't own one.

Last edited by IS350jet; 01-08-10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 12:03 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
This survey tells me the general public knows very little about cars, thus their perceptions are screwy

No luxury brands in top three in quality ?
Toyota in top three in performance?
Lexus behind Mercedes and BMW in overall scores(expected), but #1 in design/style ? (I thought they are supposed to be bland, which I partially disagree ...) ... etc ......
I agree, garbage in, garbage out.
Old 01-08-10, 12:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It's just a survey.

"The scores don’t reflect the actual quality of the vehicles, but how consumers perceive each brand in seven categories: safety, quality, value, performance, design/style, technology/innovation, and environmentally friendly/green."
Old 01-08-10, 12:33 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
That sums it up nicely
Old 01-08-10, 02:04 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yup and "perception is reality".....

The list of the top and worst brands are in that link. Acura was dead last a couple years ago, now Lincoln and Infiniti are near the bottom.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...eptions-ov.htm
I can completely agree. Lincoln and Infiniti have had horrible brand management and reinforcement for years. They are both the same in that they don't really stand for anything memorable to the general consumer. That's not a real reflection on the product per se. More a statement of poor image building and lack of focus and direction at the corporate and marketing level.
Old 01-08-10, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
I can completely agree. Lincoln and Infiniti have had horrible brand management and reinforcement for years. They are both the same in that they don't really stand for anything memorable to the general consumer. That's not a real reflection on the product per se. More a statement of poor image building and lack of focus and direction at the corporate and marketing level.
I too agree, but for different reasons. Neither Lincoln or Infiniti have a REAL flagship any more.The (admittedly slow-selling) Q45 is gone and the Lincoln Town Car is virtually gone.....it is only sold to fleet-buyers now. The current flagships (M45 and MKS), IMO are both too small and too much like the other cars in the divisions right under them.
Old 01-08-10, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The VW Beetle is popular with women because that is the audience VW catered to. VW knew who their target market was from the beginning and went after it, quite successfully, I might add. They even went as far as installing a built-in flower vase. Now, if that's not for women, I don't know what is. I'm with you about stereotypes but sometimes there's no getting around it. The New Beetle is a perfect example. It was designed, engineered, and built, for women. That's not to say a man couldn't own one.
Agreed. Most men (and I say MOST) would not actually use the flower vase.

It wasn't like that in the first year it was introduced, though (1998). I can remember seeing a lot of men at VW dealerships giving Beetles test-drives.......they appeared to be Baby-Boomers like me who remembered the air-cooled Beetle so well from the 60's and 70's.
Old 01-08-10, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

completely worthless survey because consumer reports subscribers fit a profile anyway (consumer conscious, perhaps cautious, safety and value oriented = toyota buyer ). it's like polling a church congregation whether they believe in God or not and then saying 100% of people believe in God.
Old 01-08-10, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
completely worthless survey because consumer reports subscribers fit a profile anyway (consumer conscious, perhaps cautious, safety and value oriented = toyota buyer ).

I'm not sure you can say that. Consumer Reports itself has been critical of several recent Toyotas. In fact, the Camry V6 was taken off the CR recommended list for awhile, until the repair issues were straightened out.
Old 01-08-10, 07:55 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

interesting that BMW would edge out Porsche in performance and that Toyota is even mentioned and Toyota would best Benz and Lexus in tech innovation. Perception has it's moments.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports 2010 Car Brand Perception Survey, (Toyota Tops)