Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports 2010 Car Brand Perception Survey, (Toyota Tops)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
interesting that BMW would edge out Porsche in performance
My opinion on this (not necessarily fact) is that BMW edged out Porsche because it makes a much wider line of vehicles with excellent handling and sporty performance, not just a line of sports-cars and a sport-oriented SUV like Porsche (though the upcoming Panamera sedan, of course, will be an expansion).

and that Toyota is even mentioned and Toyota would best Benz and Lexus in tech innovation. Perception has it's moments.
Toyota did perfect the parallel-hybrid system in its own products (notably the Prius) before it expanded into Lexus hybrids. That fact has not been lost on the public.
Old 01-08-10, 09:30 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Toyota is perceived as a performance brand after BMW and Porsche?? LOL

They don't have a single sport car in their lineup. I guess the general car buying public is more clueless than I thought.
Old 01-09-10, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1

They don't have a single sport car in their lineup. I guess the general car buying public is more clueless than I thought.
"Performance" doesn't necessarily mean traditional sports cars, although I agree with you that outside of the Lexus IS-F and the upcoming LF-A, Toyota has little of what can be considered true performance vehicles. And part of that is because the ones that they DID offer....Supra, MR2 Turbo, Celica GTS, etc.... were slow-sellers in the American market. And the Celica GTS had poor low-end-torque...you had the wind the engine way up to get any power.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-10 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 01:45 PM
LexFather

Clueless people need to see those big ricey red badges ... U know red badges= sport!

Old 01-09-10, 06:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Clueless people need to see those big ricey red badges ... U know red badges= sport!
or tacked on lower body parts like on a corolla S (or LS460 Sport) - yeah baby...
Old 01-09-10, 06:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or tacky SS stick-on body graphics make the car extra sporty too.
Old 01-09-10, 08:19 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
interesting how toyota tops technology, followed by mercedes and then lexus...

Seeing as how most of the cool tech debuts on a lexus first and then gets trickled down to toyotas.
I bet the Prius being a Toyota has a lot to do with it.
Old 01-11-10, 06:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well a lot of those old ricer Toyotas so have those turbo badges or the F-sport badge, so the public perceived that as performance I guess
Old 01-11-10, 09:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the extra-rice option is something to consider for improving perceptions of sportiness.
Old 01-11-10, 10:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sounds like the extra-rice option is something to consider for improving perceptions of sportiness.
Lol seriously, since Toyota currently have no sport coupe or sport sedans and the Lexus version were seperated in the survey, it really goes to show you how little these people in the CR's survey knows about cars. Since these are the same people in the other CR survey, that makes the other CR car survey as useless as this one.
Old 01-11-10, 11:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lol seriously, since Toyota currently have no sport coupe or sport sedans and the Lexus version were seperated in the survey, it really goes to show you how little these people in the CR's survey knows about cars. Since these are the same people in the other CR survey, that makes the other CR car survey as useless as this one.
It can also be intrepreted as the brands named are doing a far better job with marketing/advertising/products than brands not mentioned.

It all comes down to the product and if you look at the winner's products, well its easy to understand why they scored so well (in most instances).

People can "diss" the general public all they want, they are the ones that buy cars in droves, not enthusiasts and not people on the internet.

Old 01-11-10, 12:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It can also be intrepreted as the brands named are doing a far better job with marketing/advertising/products than brands not mentioned.

It all comes down to the product and if you look at the winner's products, well its easy to understand why they scored so well (in most instances).

People can "diss" the general public all they want, they are the ones that buy cars in droves, not enthusiasts and not people on the internet.
That's my take on it...
Old 01-11-10, 12:26 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I guess thats why Toyota and Lexus are consider the safe brand. If I dont know anything about cars or if I am too lazy to do my homework, I can always just go out and buy a Toyota. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that all Toyota and Lexus are like this, in fact, a lot of them are not, but its owners like the one in the surveys that have put Toyota over the top. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that, I am sure many other car companies would like to be in that shoe. Just like Toyota in the CR ratings, Toyota have gotten a free ride for a long time and they still are to some degree.
Old 01-17-10, 04:07 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Default Best-and-Worst Brand Perception

Provided by Consumer Reports

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...nd-perception/

#1 was Toyota and Lexus was pretty far down the list. Quite strange...

Hope this wasn't a repost.
Old 01-17-10, 04:24 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

the only strange thing i found was chevrolet still being so high up

when you bring up Lexus, people instantly compare it to MB, and BMW
so it is natural to have it lower than Toyota where it is competing in another category (within people's perception)

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports 2010 Car Brand Perception Survey, (Toyota Tops)