Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Ignoring Customers= downward spiral?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
I love the fact that more and more cars have this to prevent people from not paying attenion and causing accidents. How hard is it to pull over for a minute and enter what you want? I wish all cars have this in the future and make it quite hard to disable.
It's illegal to play with NAV here (even built in) while driving...and this is the logical next step. Risk your own life on your own terms and leave everybody else out of it.
I don’t know about you but I feel stupid pulling over on the highway to use a Navi when there is a passenger next to me who can use it safety. Navi lock out is not the logical next step, you would have to lock out all things that are distracting such as radio, cell phone, reading map, eating, putting on make up, HVAC system or I-drive. Heck, the driver should not even talk to the passenger or look at them, maybe the driver should be in a sound proof capsule and wearing race horse blinders while he’s driving. Also, inflants in the back seat is a big distraction, that sure be out law as well.
Old 01-12-10, 05:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I don’t know about you but I feel stupid pulling over on the highway to use a Navi when there is a passenger next to me who can use it safety. Navi lock out is not the logical next step, you would have to lock out all things that are distracting such as radio, cell phone, reading map, eating, putting on make up, HVAC system or I-drive. Heck, the driver should not even talk to the passenger or look at them, maybe the driver should be in a sound proof capsule and wearing race horse blinders while he’s driving. Also, inflants in the back seat is a big distraction, that sure be out law as well.
You don't pull over on the highway, if you are lost and need to program you navi, you take the nearest exist and pull over where safe. May not be convenient, but its the safe thing to do.

And if you're buying a $100,000 car, it still doesn't give you the right to endanger everyone else on the road by playing with gadgets.
Old 01-12-10, 05:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The NAV lockout by Toyota is ridiculous.
Just as ridiculous as Toyota part installed remote start.Dealers install the remote start so when you start the vehicle and then hit the unlock door button,the engine stalls only to have to be started again.Another over the top safety policy.
Did you ever try and do imputs on a Garmin unit while driving?Now that's dangerous but done millions of times every day..
Old 01-12-10, 05:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
And if you're buying a $100,000 car, it still doesn't give you the right to endanger everyone else on the road by playing with gadgets.
Let me ask you this, how am I endangering other drivers on the road if my passenger use the Navi while I drive?
Old 01-12-10, 06:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Let me ask you this, how am I endangering other drivers on the road if my passenger use the Navi while I drive?
You are absolutely fooling yourself if you think that you as a driver would not use the unlocked navigation when the car is moving. I have to call utter BS on your argument... I know I would use it and I'd bet good money you and most other drivers would as well. Heck, I'd even carry around a bowling ball or two on the passenger seat all the time if I needed to to trick it.

Do I like the motion lock? No. Do I respect the legal and safety decisions Lexus and other OEM and aftermarket Nav manufacturers made when they decided to put it in place? Have to, I understand it from a business perspective and they're constantly working on improving the voice input as an in-motion alternative. If you don't like the way it works, then don't buy the vehicle or the option - simple decision.

I do think we're taking this thread off topic and Gman, I think we all get it that you think the Nav override is a bad idea. The motion lock has been in place since 1997 when Lexus first came out with their in car navigation. Let's get back on topic, start a new thread for Nav wars if you want or resurrect one of the old ones.
Old 01-12-10, 06:28 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

The topic is "Is Lexus losing its customer focus", not "should Lexus allow Nav Override?". You've made your point you don't care for the override and I feel you're beating it into the ground and the thread is starting to become argumentative...

I'm asking you (and others) to get back to the primary topic of the thread please. I'm fine if it involves the nav discussion as party to member opinions.
Old 01-12-10, 06:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
The topic is "Is Lexus losing its customer focus", not "should Lexus allow Nav Override?". You've made your point you don't care for the override and I feel you're beating it into the ground and the thread is starting to become argumentative...

I'm asking you (and others) to get back to the primary topic of the thread please.
Sorry Dave, I will stay on topic
Old 01-12-10, 06:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to put it this way, it is only a matter of time until a freak accident happens due to someone playing with their nav in any car, and the accident gets enough publicity and the government mandates nav lock on all cars, even aftermarket units. So if anything, I don't see Lexus nav lock out as ignoring customers. Level of responsibility amongst drivers is very low these days, and for every responsible driver who wouldn't use nav while moving, there are hundreds that would.

Look at it this way, would you feel all nice and cozy knowing that the driver doing 60+ mph on a highway next to you is playing with his nav? Especially if its a large SUV/Pickup?

As far as the unintended acceleration, I can't believe people are still beating this dead horse. It was clearly because of stuck floor mat, and it happened to me in many cars. Lexus is actually one of very few car makers that provides clips that hold floor mats in place. Heck, I've driven a BMW 745 with throttle by wire system that is so slow to react to accelerator input that the car still accelerates for a second or so after you let go of the gas pedal. Yet, Toyota is the only one getting bad publicity.

There are other areas where I believe Lexus is loosing customers focus. I don't like a number of things on the current generation (L-finesse) of models, and I've voiced my concerns in many threads in the past. There are things about my 2gs that I like over my 3gs, but there are also a lot of improvements in the 3gs as well. This can be said about any model of any maker, so when people start whining and moaning about little things over and over again like its the end of the world, it just gets annoying.
Old 01-12-10, 06:57 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to agree with MMarshall on this one.

I too am an 'affected Lexus driver' and I welcome this safety factor and I wished other manufacturers would employ the same!!!

There's already too many in-car distractions and until we hurt someone or kill someone will it really ring home that behind the wheel we should be really focused on defensive and safe driving and not being distracted with the array of electronics of today.

Though, I would say that Lexus has seem to lost it's focus on customer care and attention or listening to customers post-sale! However, not every voice is an action item (like this one).

I favor safety first! Because one does not get a second chance, depending on the severity, with the word, 'accident'.
Old 01-12-10, 10:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

The only thing I will add is why won't Lexus allow the Japan customizations over here in the US???
Now that's not listening to the US customers since Lexus was first launched here
Old 01-12-10, 01:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to agree. Aren't we a major Lexus market if not the largest? They need to hook us up and to retain some of their younger customers and frankly the wealthier customers who come from Mercedes S class, 7 series, etc who like the higher end options and even customization. Its not just Lexus, most Japanese manufacturers like Mitsubishi, nissan, subaru,and lexus have better trim, power, and options of some of their vehicles in Japan
Old 01-12-10, 05:39 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If people's perception is that Lexus has lost contact with or ignoring their customers there would seem to be two possibilities: 1) Other smaller manufacturers have learned how to be as responsive as Lexus in catering to their clients, or 2) Toyota/Lexus has gotten so big they can't be as closely connected to their customers. I think both are true, but this sort of thing happens all the time in business. A small firm starts up, customers love the personal service, and then feel the company got too big. Microsoft and Starbucks come to mind, but there are countless others. If you feel Lexus doesn't have your best interests in its model lineup any longer there are other manufacturers, so go try BMW, Audi, Acura, MB, or even Hyundai. That's what the free market is all about; and as success comes to a company it cannot be all things to all people at all times. If Lexus understands this they will either respond and regain their top form, or they will slide down the scale like a GM or Chrysler. I think Toyota/Lexus has some pretty smart people working for them, so I'll put my money on them.
Old 01-12-10, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Evitzee
If people's perception is that Lexus has lost contact with or ignoring their customers there would seem to be two possibilities: 1) Other smaller manufacturers have learned how to be as responsive as Lexus in catering to their clients, or 2) Toyota/Lexus has gotten so big they can't be as closely connected to their customers. I think both are true, but this sort of thing happens all the time in business. A small firm starts up, customers love the personal service, and then feel the company got too big. Microsoft and Starbucks come to mind, but there are countless others. If you feel Lexus doesn't have your best interests in its model lineup any longer there are other manufacturers, so go try BMW, Audi, Acura, MB, or even Hyundai. That's what the free market is all about; and as success comes to a company it cannot be all things to all people at all times. If Lexus understands this they will either respond and regain their top form, or they will slide down the scale like a GM or Chrysler. I think Toyota/Lexus has some pretty smart people working for them, so I'll put my money on them.
THing is the sales figures do not support what people (the same people) are saying. Quite frankly I am at a loss as to how people think Lexus is not in touch. We have seen the lineup expand DRAMATICALLY since 2006, all due to what we asked for.
1. More sport
2. More AWD sedans
3. More wood, leather options
4. Move vehicle options
5. More options, like active sway bars, remote touch, laser cruise.....

Lexus is a conservative company. Yet they have responded. We have the IS-F now, LFA, LS sport. We have now 4 hybrids. A small hatch should be coming.

I think people's glasses are half empty and not half full.