Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Ignoring Customers= downward spiral?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 09:14 PM
Kinchip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Ignoring Customers= downward spiral?

I wonder what other CL folks think about this issue? We've seen no movement on Lexus' part on returning the NAV override, there's the denial of previous reports of spontaneous acceleration until one is documented with a 911 call and at LexusOverride, many comments that suggest Lexus is losing its customer focus.

What say ye?
Old 01-08-10, 09:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am still waiting for them to redesign a new F sport bushing for my sway bars from them
Old 01-09-10, 01:11 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus is like Apple - they don't listen to customers, they do their thing and are successful.
Old 01-09-10, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinchip
I wonder what other CL folks think about this issue? We've seen no movement on Lexus' part on returning the NAV override, there's the denial of previous reports of spontaneous acceleration until one is documented with a 911 call and at LexusOverride, many comments that suggest Lexus is losing its customer focus.

What say ye?
Welcome to CL.

I think that is just, to some extent, a larger problem with Toyota itself, which is such a huge company that it long ago lost touch with regular, individual car-buyers. However, I also think that they are correct on the NAV override. The NAV system controls on many vehicles today (not necessarily all) are so complex that, unless you have voice-commands, they are often best left to when the car is not moving and at risk of an accident. We have seen, all too often, the results of driver-distraction behind the wheel fiddling with things like cell-phones, text-messaging, and overly-complex controls.

I'm also of the opinion, contrary to that of many so-called-"enthusiasts", that stability-control systems should not be able to be turned off, unless the car is specifically going to be used on a track, which, of course, voids the warranty. There is no reason, IMO, do be doing drifting or powerslides on public roads......that can be dangerous.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-10 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-11-10, 08:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What if there is a passenger in car, why cant the passenger use the Navi? The lock out will not go away, Lexus is getting so big that its car interior functions are being design by Lawyers instead of engineers. The navi lock out is due to possible law suit such as the one with the sudden accelartion.
Old 01-11-10, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
What if there is a passenger in car, why cant the passenger use the Navi?
Probably because the technology needed to figure out who is actually using the NAV controls, and tailor the lockouts only for the driver, is probably not feasible, for a reasonable price, in mass-produced cars. NAV controls are also sometimes integrated with dual-zone climate controls (driver and passengers). Additional dual-zone functions for the NAV itself would only make the system even more complex.

The navi lock out is due to possible law suit such as the one with the sudden accelartion.
I agree that this is also, at least to an extent, a lawyer-induced issue.
Old 01-11-10, 09:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say the issues raised by OP are interesting but not the main challenges for Lexus.
Old 01-11-10, 10:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinchip

What say ye?
Lexus is losing its customer focus over a lack of nav overide?? I doubt that very much.
Old 01-11-10, 10:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably because the technology needed to figure out who is actually using the NAV controls, and tailor the lockouts only for the driver, is probably not feasible, for a reasonable price, in mass-produced cars. NAV controls are also sometimes integrated with dual-zone climate controls (driver and passengers). Additional dual-zone functions for the NAV itself would only make the system even more complex.
Isnt this how a kindergarden teacher punish a 5 year old. If the teacher dont know who is guilty, then everyone in the class room will be punish. Well, I am glad Lexus is going to treat their loyal customers like a bunch of 5 year olds. I for one agree with Lexus that just because you spend $70000 for a luxury sedan, that doesnt mean you can be trusted like an adult
Old 01-11-10, 10:41 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL. I think that is just, to some extent, a larger problem with Toyota itself, which is such a huge company that it long ago lost touch with regular, individual car-buyers.
I agree it being a large problem with Toyota but Lexus has lost touch with the individual car buyer as well. Lexus/Toyota used to be all about value and getting more for your money. Ever since Lexus went to this L-Finese idea, Lexus has become very expensive and Lexus is passing everything onto the consumer.......Yet every day we hear about Toyota's ideas to cost cut

Someone has to pay for all these giant dealerships, loaner cars, marble floors, f-cars and the upcoming money losing LF-A.....Lexus is clearly out of touch with the average buyer.

Also nothing screams rip-off in the way Lexus recommends its service. I find hard to believe that Lexus models needs the smart key battery and brake fluid replaced and intervals that are not recommended on Toyota models.
Old 01-11-10, 10:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I agree it being a large problem with Toyota but Lexus has lost touch with the individual car buyer as well. Lexus/Toyota used to be all about value and getting more for your money. Ever since Lexus went to this L-Finese idea, Lexus has become very expensive and Lexus is passing everything onto the consumer.......Yet every day we hear about Toyota's ideas to cost cut

Someone has to pay for all these giant dealerships, loaner cars, marble floors, f-cars and the upcoming money losing LF-A.....Lexus is clearly out of touch with the average buyer.

Also nothing screams rip-off in the way Lexus recommends its service. I find hard to believe that Lexus models needs the smart key battery and brake fluid replaced and intervals that are not recommended on Toyota models.
Flame suit level 3 engaged....
Old 01-11-10, 10:50 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

Prices of all cars have increased over the years and Lexus is still going to be cheaper than its comparably equipped German rivals.
Old 01-11-10, 11:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster

Looking at the just released perception survey, Lexus is very admired here and very much in touch with buyers. You might not like what they are doing but buyers do.

Old 01-11-10, 11:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
Prices of all cars have increased over the years and Lexus is still going to be cheaper than its comparably equipped German rivals.
The gap is closing fast. In my opinion, Lexus is no longer the bargain that it once was. Bring on the Hyundai luxury division
Old 01-11-10, 11:39 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The gap is closing fast. In my opinion, Lexus is no longer the bargain that it once was. Bring on the Hyundai luxury division
Oh they definitely aren't a bargain anymore They left that field for Infiniti and Acura. Whether it was the right choice is all a matter of personal opinion The thing is when Lexus started being a true Tier 1 (there are those lousy tiers again ) it had to shed some of the value image to change their brand from value luxury to just luxury. In the end a lot of their criticism is coming from the enthusiast minority and while it is a very vocal minority, Lexus is getting it done with the majority of the luxury segment (in the US)

Quick Reply: Lexus Ignoring Customers= downward spiral?