Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My "new" BMW 118d

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 09:43 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
The 1-series has an automatic option now?
I guess it depends on the market in where it is sold but yes, the 1 series ALWAYS had an auto gearbox.

Heck, all of the 1 series hatchbacks sold here in the Philippines ARE ALL automatic (if you wanna request for a stick shift model here; the waiting time is an additional two weeks)

Old 01-10-10, 11:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

my friend has same car, very happy with it...
Old 01-11-10, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmmmm, I would have went with the Citroen C5
Old 01-11-10, 05:58 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I believe that he mentioned having such a big car wouldn't have been ideal on European streets. The Citroen C5 would have definitely been the American choice

EDIT: Here's the quote...

Furthermore, reality also set in. I live in central Stuttgart, which is an extremely busy metropolis. Parking spaces are hard to find anywhere. And when they're found, they're usually quite small. My wife and I live in a small condominium complex built sometime during the 1970s. Parking is done outside, in front of the building (yes, there's no underground parking). Countless times I've come home from work only to search for a parking space big enough to fit the Mercedes E230. I wanted to avoid this problem in the future - hence a smaller car was probably going to be the better choice as my next vehicle.Furthermore, reality also set in. I live in central Stuttgart, which is an extremely busy metropolis. Parking spaces are hard to find anywhere. And when they're found, they're usually quite small. My wife and I live in a small condominium complex built sometime during the 1970s. Parking is done outside, in front of the building (yes, there's no underground parking). Countless times I've come home from work only to search for a parking space big enough to fit the Mercedes E230. I wanted to avoid this problem in the future - hence a smaller car was probably going to be the better choice as my next vehicle.
Old 01-11-10, 06:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I believe that he mentioned having such a big car wouldn't have been ideal on European streets. The Citroen C5 would have definitely been the American choice

EDIT: Here's the quote...
Yes, I did read that. Its unfortunate that sometimes living in the city can make someone settle for a car that is second or third choice.
Old 01-11-10, 07:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats Dustin! That thing must be a blast to drive.
Old 01-11-10, 07:33 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05EX
Congrats the new car looks great. I hope it provides you with many years of driving enjoyement.
Thank you. It's already a very fun car. I am definitely looking forward to more miles behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by Och
Let me ask you a question, whenever I watch movies that show Europe/Russia, it seems like MB and BMW vehicles there do not have model badges at all, just like your car. Is that a common practice in Europe?
From what I have seen here this practice is quite common, especially amongst cars with larger engines. I've even seen some AMG or BMW M vehicles without badges. Removing badges from smaller-engined cars is not so widespread (in my experience). I really don't mind it, however.

Originally Posted by RXSF
I too have a question:

No disrespect, but do bmw owners get annoyed by the fact that the central door lock is on the center dash? I know MB used to do this, but they finally relented. It doesnt make sense to me
No offense taken.

On the Mercedes E230 I was driving a few days ago the central door lock switch was also located on the center dash, at a lower level in front of the transmission lever. To be honest, I've never made much use of this feature. I've always felt safe everywhere I was with the car and thus saw no need to lock the doors.

In my new 118d, the location of the switch doesn't really bother me. I most likely won't use it much anyway.

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
Congrats, a new car is allways nice. Not my cup of tea though.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Congrats on then new car..
Thank you.
Old 01-11-10, 08:12 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Congrats on your car purchase.
Thank you.

Anyhow, I do have a few questions and points that I wanna ask:
1) Is the rear legroom bearable?
I ask this cause the first time I road in the backseat of a 120i, the rear felt uncomfortable to me and I was only 5'8 at that time. I'm guessing people 6 foot and taller will find this a painful experience I suppose.

With that said, are you having no problems with its rear legroom?

The rear seats are relatively comfortable to sit in, but the leg space is severely lacking. Here's a picture I took to demonstrate the leg space situation in my 1 series. I'm 6"1' in height, so the front seat needs to be pushed back a little in order for me to comfortably sit in the car.

Since my wife and I are going to be the only drivers of this car, the lack of comfortable leg space in the rear wasn't an issue. I suppose for short journeys, say, within a city environment I can readjust the drivers seat in such a way that passengers in the rear can enjoy the trip in relative "comfort".

2) That N47D20 diesel engine seems solid (for a BMW powerplant)
I've heard lot of praise about it (along with its petrol/gasoline sibling). Apparently, I heard that the Fuel economy ratings can match that of a Toyota Prius (esp. in highway driving). That must be really good then and as you say, since your model is the facelift, then I guess they made some improvements in the automatic gearbox as well. Cool
Indeed. I was reading about this engine in the German automotive press and they were full of praise for it especially in regards to fuel economy and performance. It's too early to boast about gas mileage, but the performance is indeed quite lively. The German BMW website claims the 118d accelerates to 100 kph (62 mph) in just 9 seconds. The car feels very quick indeed and the midrange performance is very impressive to say the least. The 118i I tested felt really slow (almost struggling) in comparison.

I will be reporting on the fuel economy I am getting later on under different driving conditions etc. I am just as eager to see the results.

3) Same with what everyone else was wondering
It looks like the dealer forgot to add model badges or something (I thought it was supposed to be standard). Or is it just my imagination?
As I explained to Och, the removal of model badges is quite common in Europe. It's something that is not really performed on lower-engined cars, but it's also no uncommon in this regard. Virtually every manufacturer here (I am not sure about Lexus, though) offers this option to their customers. Since my 118d started life as a demo vehicle, I suspect the lack of a badge on this particular car was meant as a sort of "reminder" to prospective customers that this option still exists, is available etc.

Some people like a car without type badges because they don't want people to know which exact model they're driving. Some people, me included, believe a car looks "cleaner" without the badges. In the end, however, it's not really that important to me whether or not my car has badges at the rear or not. Both the C200 CDI and E230 had badges at the rear and it never bothered me in the least.

4) Are the headlamp washers an optional feature in your car?
I know it's a minor detail but I did notice that your car has it? Is it a standard feature or is it optional (at least for E87 that are sold in Europe)? I ask that cause I don't see it in any of the 1 series vehicles sold here. And when I asked the local dealer here (Autohaus BMW in Pasig), they told me that headlamp washers are not available for models sold in Southeast Asia.

It's kinda like how C-class that are sold in Asia-Pacific don't have headlamp washers as the C200K don't have it (only C230 and higher do). I'm guessing it's more reserved for Europe only then.
Headlamp washers are standard here.

My ex-C200 CDI also had them as standard as did the E230. I suspect this has something to do with the market the car is sold in. In Europe such a feature would be useful because most Europeans will drive in a mixture of rural and urban environments. In the winters the headlamp washers can be used to clear dirty ice/snow from the headlamps, provided temperatures permit their safe usage.

I suppose in Asia, and this is just a guess, most of these premium vehicles will be sold to people who spend most of their time driving these cars in urban environments where the headlights won't get that dirty in the long run. Again, this is just a guess. I suppose you might be able to confirm this since you live in Asia.

5) How is the fuel and vehicle taxation structure like there in Germany? Do they also charge vehicles extra tax and duties based on vehicle emissions? (like what they do in England with their Vehicle Excise Duty)

The vehicle tax in Germany is based on three aspects: emissions, engine capacity and kW output. The larger the value of these three aspects, the more you pay in tax. I recall reading a few weeks ago, for example, how a Daewoo Matiz owner will pay € 15 per year in engine capacity tax whereas a Dodge Viper owner will have to fork over € 900!

It gets even worse. Fuel prices in Germany are expensive because the government adds a hefty tax to the price. This tax, known as the Okosteuer, is roughly 70% and this accounts for the expensive gasoline prices in Germany. The Okosteuer has two functions. The first and main function is to ensure extra income for the government. The second function is to ensure that citizens make sensible choices when it comes to the motorization aspect of their vehicle.

A new car will also include a 19% VAT tax to its price.

My 118d is within reasonable limits, however.
Old 01-11-10, 08:15 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
congratulations!!! Enjoy it.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Congrats and thanks for sharing
Originally Posted by carLx
Good write up I enjoyed reading it. Congratulations on the new car.

Originally Posted by Faymester
OP: Congratz on your 1er 5door

Thank you all.

Just wanted to add that today it was snowing like crazy and I had to be a bit careful with the RWD aspect of the car. Once the roads permit, I would love to really explore the sporty aspect of this vehicle. I'm already in love with the directness of the steering feedback. I guess that's indeed a BMW trademark.
Old 01-11-10, 08:17 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
The 1-series has an automatic option now?
Most smaller cars these days, even simple economy cars, come with an automatic transmission option. Even a 3-cylinder Daewoo (Chevrolet) Matiz can be specified with one.
Old 01-11-10, 08:22 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Believe me, so would I. The Citroen C5 is just such a stunning car, great value, comfortable, spacious - it's all I need. If I was guaranteed a permanent parking space then I would have snapped up a C5 in a heartbeat. But, seeing that I have compete with others for parking spaces, the intelligent choice was to go for a smaller, more compact vehicle.

Having experienced a 118i, I did fall in love with the character of the 1 series. I like to think of the 118d as a "shrunk Citroen C5". Aside from the virtually non-existent rear legroom, it is spacious inside, has a large trunk (I will need to take a picture of that!) and has the BMW ideals of razor-sharp steering feedback and great handling. I'm happy with the 118d.

After the 1 series, I might just come back to a Citroen C5. And by this time there will be some great used models on the market (with automatic transmission, too).
Old 01-11-10, 08:25 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Congrats Dustin! That thing must be a blast to drive.
Thank you!

Indeed! Now I know why BMW drivers love their BMW's. I've not taken it to the extremes yet (and probably never will since that is not how I tend to drive), but the car already lets me know that it is very capable in terms of driving dynamics and handling. The engine, too, is great.

More updates will follow soon.
Old 01-11-10, 09:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How much more does this car cost than a comparably equipped "non-premium" hatchback/sedan?
Old 01-11-10, 10:28 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think that back seat is worse than the IS, haha if that's possible
Old 01-11-10, 11:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think that back seat is worse than the IS, haha if that's possible
And the cloth material on the seats looks pretty low quality.

Quick Reply: My "new" BMW 118d